AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Music

Music What really matters most

Old 05-20-2018, 06:04 PM
Life is beautiful

Paolo Fresu Devil Quartet - Carpe Diem
Qobuz 24/96

Newest album from this great flugel horn and trumpet player.
Very enjoyable.

Edit: I just see there is more recent album of his. I'm surely going to play it one of these days.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables

Last edited by bart; 05-20-2018 at 06:07 PM.
Old 05-21-2018, 01:09 PM

Picked up some live Ella CDs recently -- Paris, Berlin, Amsterdam, Chicago -- all in that 1960ish +/- period. All so wonderful. She had such a rapport with her audiences and her bands; what a lady. I had only just been born then and wouldn't get to see her until the late 70s when I was attending college in Nashville and she happened to come through town. She should have performed at the Ryman, but they had her out at the relatively new Opry House (sacrilegious!). Horrible acoustics and her voice just wasn't what it had been (I had many of her records which would draw dorm-mates into my room when they were playing), but it was just such a pleasure to be in her presence.

This morning, at the Concertgebouw (hmm...half expect to see that Chailly is conducting the band...)

Old 05-21-2018, 04:11 PM
Life is beautiful

We tried this new release on Qobuz (24/48):

But we stopped after 2 tracks, it was too smooth and flat.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 05-21-2018, 04:16 PM
Life is beautiful

Marc Sinan - Oğuz Büyükberber - White
Qobuz 24/96

Interesting soundscapes.
Some tracks use and improvise on field recordings of Armenian prisoners of war, made in detention camps in Germany in 1916.
Old 05-21-2018, 04:27 PM
Life is beautiful

Lee Konitz with Warne Marsh
Japanese pressing

Good album.
In the suggested Core Collection of the Penguin Guide.
'55 recordings.
Oscar Pettiford prominently present, he's one of my favourite bass players of that time.
Old 05-21-2018, 04:59 PM
Life is beautiful

Horace Silver - In Pursuit of The 27th Man
via Tidal

Silver always sounds 'funky' on this albums.
This one, from '72, is no exception.

Horace Silver - piano
Randy Brecker - trumpet, flugelhorn (1, 3 & 5)
Michael Brecker - tenor saxophone (1, 3 & 5)
David Friedman - vibes (2, 4, 6 & 7)
Bob Cranshaw - electric bass
Mickey Roker - drums

This obscure Horace Silver LP features two separate sessions by the pianist/composer. On three selections he is joined by trumpeter Randy Brecker, tenor great Michael Brecker, Bob Cranshaw on electric bass and drummer Mickey Roker. The other four numbers feature vibraphonist David Friedman in a quartet with Silver, Cranshaw and Roker, a very unusual sound for a Horace Silver set. But no matter what the instrumentation, the style is pure Silver, hard-driving and melodic hard bop with a strong dose of funky soul. ~ Scott Yanow, Allmusic
Old 05-21-2018, 05:55 PM
Life is beautiful

Bill Frisell - Thomas Morgan - Small Town
Qobuz 24/96

Bass and guitar, perfectly interwoven improvisations.
Live album.
What a great label ECM is...
Old 05-21-2018, 07:58 PM

More Ella, now in Berlin. I've had the Verve remastered 'Mack the Knife' CD from her famous 1960 concert, but have just now learned of this two-disc set that also includes her 1961 concert.

Amusingly, in the '61 set, during 'Mr Paganini', when she croons: "When from the balcony way up high, There suddenly came a mournful cry", someone in the audience actually lets out a mournful cry, supposedly one in the balcony I imagine. It's so funny and touching -- just an example of how she so engaged audiences. What a delight.

Old 05-21-2018, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart View Post
^^^^^Thank you for posting. I will play this.
You're certainly welcome. A friend has corrected me -- these are from three, not two as I had thought, final 1956 studio sessions for the Prestige label.

Regardless, they produced the works that comprised his final five albums for them: The New Miles Davis Quintet, Cookin with the Miles Davis Quintet, Relaxin with the Miles Davis Quintet, Working with the Miles Davis Quintet, and Steamin with the Miles Davis Quintet. Some really good stuff.
Old 05-22-2018, 04:57 PM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarkbark View Post
You're certainly welcome. A friend has corrected me -- these are from three, not two as I had thought, final 1956 studio sessions for the Prestige label.

Regardless, they produced the works that comprised his final five albums for them: The New Miles Davis Quintet, Cookin with the Miles Davis Quintet, Relaxin with the Miles Davis Quintet, Working with the Miles Davis Quintet, and Steamin with the Miles Davis Quintet. Some really good stuff.

I have all these albums on CD.
Will look what I don't have in this set.