AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Accuphase

Accuphase Enrich Life through Technology

Old 06-23-2015, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyC View Post
Back on topic. I've had a high quality power distributor and conditioner in the past. Both had small but noticeable impact on sound. Perhaps it's time to try an AC regeneration device.
AC regeneration had a noticeable impact on my system and i was not small (it wasn't revolutionary either like room treatment). PS-1220 is rumoured to be the best among those type of devices.
Old 06-25-2015, 10:34 AM

TommyC, from your signature I see that you have two pairs of speakers, i.e. SF monitors and Devore floorstanders. To receive a miningfull answer to your question you need to tell us which speakers will you be using with the Accuphase rig. The DG-58 may not be necessary when properly placing the SF monitors, but it may be mandatory when using the floorstanders.

Further, it is not clear to me which components do you plan to connect to the PS-1220 unit. If you do not plan to connect the A-200s, then one PS-520 should be enough to power the rest of you electronics, i.e. pre, TV, player. If, however, you plan to connect the A-200s to the PS-1220 unit, you should be aware that one PS-1220 unit may not be able to power both your A-200 mono-blocks. Ideally you would need two PS-1220 units for the A-200 mono blocks. Also, to test if one PS-1220 is able to power both A-200s, you need to turn on the A-200s one at a time with some delay in between.

Finally, I should say that IMO your room is too small to accommodate so many components. If I were you I would buy an A-70 instead of the A-200s, and if the room allows it (space-wise) I would use the difference to buy the DG-58 and PS-1220 units. You might also want to consider buying an Acuphase DAC/player.

Last edited by nvp; 06-25-2015 at 03:10 PM.
Old 06-25-2015, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvp View Post
TommyC, from your signature I see that you have two pairs of speakers, i.e. SF monitors and Devore floor standers. To receive a miningfull answer to your question you need to tell us which speakers will you be using with the Accuphase rig. The DG-58 may not be necessary when properly placing the SF monitors, but it may be mandatory when using the floorstanders. Further, it is not clear to me which components do you plan to connect to the PS-1220 unit. If you do not plan to connect the A-200s, then one PS-520 should be enough to power the rest of you electronics, i.e. pre, TV, player. If, however, you plan to connect the A-200s to the PS-1220 unit, you should be aware that one PS-1220 unit may not be able to power both your A-200 mono-blocks. Ideally you would need to PS-1220 units for the A-200 mono blocks. Also, to test if one PS-1220 is able to power both A-200s, you need to turn on the A-200s one at a time (i.e. not at the same time) and with some delay in between. Finally, I should say that IMO your room is too small to accommodate so many components. If I were you I would buy an A-70 instead of the A-200s, and if the room allows it (space-wise) I would use the difference to buy the DG-58 and PS-1220 units. You might also want to consider buying an Acuphase DAC/player.
Thank you very much for your thoughtful reply.

I will be using the SF primarily. Minor room treatment will come later.

I'm considering the PS1220 because the plasma alone will draw >600W peak. The PS520 won't have enough juice. The A200 will go straight to the wall. I have read on several occasions that even with one PS1220 per A200, it will restrict dynamics.

I went for the A200 because knowing myself, I will want to upgrade after the A70.

I was concerned about heat initially. The distributor assured me it will be ok in my room with 2 doors and a window. I guess I'll find out later.

I'm happy with the Modwright OPPO with NOS tubes so far. I want to have some tubes in the system.
Old 06-26-2015, 08:47 PM

Quote:
I'm considering the PS1220 because the plasma alone will draw >600W peak.
IMO powering a TV with a PS-1220 is a waste. The TV will be find with significantly cheaper power units.

Quote:
The A200 will go straight to the wall. I have read on several occasions that even with one PS1220 per A200, it will restrict dynamics.
I do not think that is a valid concern in your case. Most monitor speakers (including yours) are simply not capable/designed to illustrate the full dynamic capabilities of the A-200 mono blocks.

Quote:
I went for the A200 because knowing myself, I will want to upgrade after the A70.
I can understand that. If it was me in your situation I would have probably chosen an A-70 backed up by a PS-1220 and a DG-58 (over a pair of A-200s). But... I am the one preaching/complaining here about: 1) the amount of heat put out by my A-65 & C-3800 combo, and 2) the huge dimensions and weight of my Accuphase rig.

Last edited by nvp; 06-26-2015 at 10:23 PM.