AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Conrad-Johnson

Conrad-Johnson It just sounds right

Old 08-18-2012, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat

Your TADs must be more efficient than my Dyns...
I think so.

Maybe I sense a tiny bit of flatness in the sound stage. It seems song dependant. I need more time.
Old 08-18-2012, 02:25 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
I think so.

Maybe I sense a tiny bit of flatness in the sound stage. It seems song dependant. I need more time.
Hmm...not getting that, but like you say, could be the source music. I'm listening to a rip of the Analogue Productions SACD of Chet Baker's Chet, and have plenty of soundstage depth.

It's really too bad we're not neighbors, it would make comparing notes so much easier. I gotta say my 'lil Wadia 121 sounds really, really good.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 08-18-2012, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
It's not that high a gain when using a CT-5 with only 19 dB of gain on tap. With my Wadia 121 running at 4V output, I am running at about 40 on the volume setting to listen at a comfortable, but not what I would call loud level by any means (with acoustic jazz content).
Interesting, the 5db difference in speaker efficiency would make quire a difference. Mine 91db, yours 86db.

Interestingly, Joe's are also 86db and he feels the gain is too high as well - so go figure. perhaps the tad's treble is a little more forward, or the dyn's more laid back??

It would be nice for the cj to have a high and lower gain switch, like the Bryston amps, without screwing up the sound.

Not sure about the pre amp gain, as it depends where unity gain is on the Ct-5 and GAT. the speakers make a bigger difference.

Last edited by turntable; 08-18-2012 at 02:50 AM.
Old 08-18-2012, 03:16 AM

+1

On both posts above.

My CR-1 just have too much treble for me. Forward? I think so but very enjoyable with my dartzeel.
Old 08-18-2012, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
+1

On both posts above.

My CR-1 just have too much treble for me. Forward? I think so but very enjoyable with my dartzeel.
As we know Joe, Its all relative as there is no true reference, only synergy at this price range.

I really think your Tad's would sound luscious with tubes - LP140's or 125SE's would go very well me think's. I would really luv to try the Big Tad's . that ain't gonna happen thou
Old 08-18-2012, 03:30 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by turntable View Post
As we know Joe, Its all relative as there is no true reference, only synergy at this price range.

I really think your Tad's would sound luscious with tubes - LP140's or 125SE's would go very well me think's.
+1.

Yuppers....
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 08-18-2012, 03:32 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by turntable View Post
Interesting, the 5db difference in speaker efficiency would make quire a difference. Mine 91db, yours 86db.

Interestingly, Joe's are also 86db and he feels the gain is too high as well - so go figure. perhaps the tad's treble is a little more forward, or the dyn's more laid back??
I think the TADs are likely more transparent, therefore less forgiving.

At some point I will be putting in Dynaudio Esotar2 tweeters, arguably the finest soft dome tweeters made....these will provide more detail yet be smoother and sweeter than my Esotec 2 tweeters (which are no slouches).
Old 08-18-2012, 04:25 AM

Something to think about.
Old 08-18-2012, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post

I just powered up the CT-5 and Pr350 with the Shunyata Black Mamba CX and HC CXs power cords, respectively; and oh BTW, the CT-5 is now getting power from the Hydra 8, and man, it sounds GREAT. The lower noise floor and improved clarity and musicality these bring over the just using a Venom3 and a DB Platinum is readily apparent.
I've noticed a decided improvement over the stock cord on the 16LS2 when I switched it out for a Shunyata original model Taipan Alpha. Much more presence and the images seem more solid. Everything I'm running, except for the Premier 140, is plugged into a Hydra Model-8 with a Taipan Helix connecting it to the wall.

I've been sorely tempted by the new Black Mamba power cords, but for now I'll have to stick with what I have.
Old 08-18-2012, 07:49 AM

Hey Joe

How is the Teflon prem140 going?

Have you noticed if it is any quieter? That was the first thing I noticed on the prem8a's