AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 04-24-2017, 08:17 PM

Randy and Dave -- We all know there a bunch of companies that make good equipment. Most of what I have discovered about audio is that is very subjective and many of us come to our conclusions based upon our own desires. What is great for me not so much for you. For example. I am a big fan of the Grado GS1000 HP. I think they are the best I have tried and until the end of 15 I tried nearly every high end HP on the market and that was with both SS and tube HP amps. There are a zillion out there that would think I’m nuts. Well maybe not a zillion. My point; they are what I like. Most likely I won’t jump on a Mc IA until I hear one and I walk away and say WOW. Randy if you like you can email me with what you think is better than McIntosh.

Is the SS Mc as good as their Tube stuff?
Also since I’m not a base fan generally speaking what/how would you describe the Mc sound.

Thanks for the responses.
Old 04-24-2017, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikado463 View Post
name 3 .........
Not here to fight or debate, etc. I did not say anything "bad" about McIntosh. I made some fair honest statements, certainly no reason to get your feathers ruffled.

I sold McIntosh for quite some time along with owning several pieces. They are always very good equipment, but there are many pieces that sound better.

People buy McIntosh because it is McIntosh, not because it is the absolutely best sounding equipment.

It's great equipment... period, chill.

Last edited by Randy Myers; 04-24-2017 at 08:55 PM.
Old 04-24-2017, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehole150 View Post
Randy and Dave -- We all know there a bunch of companies that make good equipment. Most of what I have discovered about audio is that is very subjective and many of us come to our conclusions based upon our own desires. What is great for me not so much for you. For example. I am a big fan of the Grado GS1000 HP. I think they are the best I have tried and until the end of 15 I tried nearly every high end HP on the market and that was with both SS and tube HP amps. There are a zillion out there that would think I’m nuts. Well maybe not a zillion. My point; they are what I like. Most likely I won’t jump on a Mc IA until I hear one and I walk away and say WOW. Randy if you like you can email me with what you think is better than McIntosh.

Is the SS Mc as good as their Tube stuff?
Also since I’m not a base fan generally speaking what/how would you describe the Mc sound.

Thanks for the responses.
Exactly, everyone has their own preferences. My main point was that you asked that question in a Mc forum on a Mc board. As you see, they get quite defensive the minute you don't worship... Growing up in the shadow of the factory I know a bit about them.

I won't send you a list, because as you say, we all have preference. Mine is towards value oriented industrial looking equipment. I only suggest reading more forums and maybe pick up a magazine like Stereophile or others.

Last edited by Randy Myers; 04-24-2017 at 08:37 PM.
Old 04-24-2017, 10:53 PM

Interesting that no one has offered ideas for something *better* than McIntosh. Devialet? Dan D'Agostino? Boulder? Burmester? Maybe. Or, perhaps that is the wrong question. For $X, you can have a McIntosh that sounds like so, or a whatever brand that sounds, arguably, better in some respects. But, maybe it is not built like a tank and won't be much good to your grandkids. Or, maybe it takes a purist approach and the only way to EQ the sound from your tuner is to buy a new tuner.

At some point, too, everything is so good that ir really is a matter of preference. I've had the pleasure of listening to some pretty great equipment, but at some point it really does become a question of which flavor of awesome you prefer.

There's only one way to figure that out. Listen to a lot of music on a lot of great systems!
l MA7900 Integrated Amp l Sonus Faber Concerto Speakers l Clearaudio Performance Turntable w/Ortofon Credenza Cartridge l Rega Saturn CD Player l Marantz Tuner l PlayStation-4 l Transparent MM2 Cables & Power l
Old 04-24-2017, 11:25 PM
Aspiring Audiophile

I'd describe the Mcintosh house sound as smooth. Non fatiguing.

I'm my opinion, it's a predictable sound you can count on.

When I hear it, it sounds just right...and I say, yup that's a Mcintosh.

Each time I add a Mcintosh component in my chain (swapping out a former internet darling flavor of the month), I say wow, how'd they do that.

Definitely bring some home on demo if you can and see if it's "your" sound.
Main > Aurender N10/N100 / Antipodes K50 > Aries Cerat Kassandra mk2 - Playback Designs Dream DAC > D'agostino Momentum HD > PS Audio P10 > D'Agostino S250 > Sonus Faber Aida / REL S812 Six Pack + 4 JL Audio F113 Fathoms > B&W Signature HTM > Anthem Statement D2v > Mcintosh MC205 > Focal 1000 (side surrounds) > Bryston TIW (rear surrounds)

Secondary System > Aurender N100h> AMR777SE > D'agostino Momentum Integrated > Wilson Sasha DAW
Old 04-24-2017, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikado463 View Post
name 3 .........
Very fair question.
Old 04-24-2017, 11:32 PM

Back in the day with purist equipment. I had Audionic mono amps, Dayton Wright Pre-amp, etc. I used many different pieces back then. McIntosh was always good, and built well (honestly most "good" equipment was built well). Mark Levinson, Threshold, Hafler, etc., all sounded better but they did not have the curb appeal of McIntosh. It was personal preference for sure.

Now, I would say Wyred 4 Sound Preamplifer and DACs are better, Audio Research, Pass Labs, especially First Watt if your power needs are low, all sound better... there are more. The American made brands (all mentioned are) are certainly built as well. I would say judging by the three McIntosh pieces I have had since getting back into the hobby, Wyred 4 Sound is built a lot better. Longevity... who knows, Wyred is only now celebrating their 10th anniversary, but EJ has been OEM building for other prestigious brands for years before that.... PS Audio, etc., etc.

The two of the three McIntosh pieces I bought had quality control issues that I repaired myself. Speaker terminal falling off, opening the case and repairing it, knobs not spinning correct; disassembling and realigning, etc. Audio Research... shoot my amp is 15 years old and plays like it is brand new. Nelson Pass told me directly that he has not seen a First Watt have an issue yet. He has been making them for 12 years now.

Another example, my McIntosh MR85 that I bought from Ivan, that he hardly used (it does look brand new I might add). Nice looking tuner and fulfills my need for a Mc piece. It also sounds fine, however the manual flywheel tuning, no matter which way you rotate the dial only goes up the frequency scale. The station labeling, again no matter which way you rotate the dial only goes down the alphabet. This is not how it is supposed to work but since I only use the presets it really does not matter. But again, quality control... I just don't feel like spending hundreds to send it back and have these controls repaired. But it makes the resale value go down the tubes...

The McIntosh headphones did not have any problems they just did not sound as good as the Audeze I had for less than half the price, and the Sennheiser I have that are hundreds less sound quite a bit better and are a ton more comfortable.

So yea, McIntosh is a good brand, but it is not God's gift to man kind. If you are looking for curb appeal and really good equipment with a long time reputation it may be your brand. To me the industrial, professional look and purity of sound is more to my liking. McIntosh has a very colored, warm, inviting sound. Yes it sounds good, but compare it to purist equipment maybe not so much. Again, what are you looking for? Me I go for purity of sound. I am not a fan of colored sound... and to each their own in that regards.

All of the American brands seem to be very well made. I am not so confident in the China made brands (sorry but true).

Again, McIntosh is a very good brand, but it is not the only good brand and it is not the best sounding equipment, it is very good sounding equipment. And again the full package, sound, build quality, longevity, etc., etc. all come into play when choosing your equipment to purchase. And I am NOT a McIntosh hater, quite the opposite actually... to say the least, but I am a realistic person. Also I have had several "personal issues" in a very short time with my McIntosh gear, however I am not bashing my home town product line, but I am giving honest pros and cons because this is the way of making informed decisions.

Last edited by Randy Myers; 04-25-2017 at 12:22 AM.
Old 04-24-2017, 11:42 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Gary.......There will always be those who just love to pile on an issue like it was happening to them. In most cases these individuals have never had a personal issue with McIntosh but they always seem to have an opinion. With respect to Randy's post there are a hell of a lot more McIntosh lovers than haters, and this forum represents only a small fraction of satisfied owners who enjoy McIntosh components every day around the world. As McIntosh aficionados on this forum we do our best to help fellow owners when an issue comes up, not throw stones. The fact that on occasion problems are discussed here or dealer issues reported is no indication of a high incidence of repairs for McIntosh. The fact that we are open and honest, reporting issues and asking for help from time to time generally brings out a few who like to wallow in the muck. Some of thes folks are quite often without any personal McIntosh issues what so ever, and some who have never owned McIntosh. There will always be those who enjoy making waves. It's not just McIntosh. Spend some time on other forums and you will see the pile-on's doing the same thing with other audio manufacturers. You have to be able to separate the wheat from the chaff so to speak.

McIntosh is a small company, about 139 employees (plus or minus a few) who do a remarkable job manufacturing some fabulous audio components in quantities other audio manufacturers only wish they could produce and sell. McIntosh employees are some of the most dedicated and skilled in the industry and many have astonishing longevity as employs with the company. McIntosh is sold worldwide and has an extremely low percentage of repair when compared to their output. The McIntosh catalog of previous and current audio equipment is the envy of the audio industry. Don't be misled by the saber rattling. McIntosh is a great company making incredible audio components that have set the standard for over 60 years.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 04-25-2017 at 12:13 AM.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:20 AM

I really appreciate your question not because I need to convince you about what to buy but to allow me to explore my own journey to McIntosh.

I gave been at this hobby for 36 years and I will turn 50 this fall. I took a hiatus in the mid 2000's after SACD seemed to be burning to the ground. I got back in it 6 years ago and have abandoned all digital media (not important why) focusing on vinyl and possibly reel to reel in the future.

I have journeyed through many brands from Sony and JVC to SAE, Cerwin Vega; than Superphon and Denon, Sonic Frontiers, Classe, Cary Audio, Pathos and ending up at McIntosh, Aesthetix, ClearAudio, Koetsu and Focal. I have loved each every one of my systems along the way. Some improvements made things better and some made things worse. I ended up at McIntosh for a non fatiguing highly musical sound. This is not the sound a younger version of me would have chosen but this is where I am at currently. I do not know if my current system is "until death do us part" but I am very satisfied with my choice.

My taste in music has varied from 80's rock to new wave. After becoming bored I moved on to jazz, classical, blues and bluegrass. I now enjoy many genres of music, I have 100's of favorite songs and albums (these are art forms unto themselves) and I do remember Wild Horses being one of my favorites.

My point is you are still sewing your audio oats. You are still searching for the audio person you will be. Remember the journey is your own. There are no wrong choices. Be true to your self. Advice is worth nothing if it contradicts what your experience. Avoid beliefs (dogma). Accept and give love. You will get back what you put in.

There have been some wonderful answers already provided here. I have been at many other forums and this is the most gentile. You will find people here who will take the time to give you proper advice. Their desire is to impart wisdom and not religion. You need to choose how to (or not) incorporate this into your choices.

Wishing you many years of joyful listening.

P.S. I'm a little jealous since you are going to be discovering some of my favorite albums for the first time. I still enjoy that today but there is something special at the beginning.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:36 AM

^^^^

There is nothing "special" about McIntosh, it's good stuff but there's lots of good stuff. Focus on what values (looks, purchase value, resale value, build quality, country of orgin, features, etc) and sound you are after.