AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > General Speaker Discussion

General Speaker Discussion Calling all Speakers

Old 01-27-2017, 12:16 AM

Default Rockport Atrias in Small Listening Room

I have an opportunity to buy a pair of demo Rockport Atrias. My listening room is 12.5' L X 12.0' W X 8' H. I was wondering if there was anyone utilizing these speakers in a small room. I'm a little worried about paying for performance I will likely never realize due to room size.

Thanks in advance for your comments.
Old 01-27-2017, 12:07 PM

The Rockports are wonderful speakers, but your room is too small. The potential of the speakers will never be realised in such a small room. It would be great if you can audition the speakers in your room, and then make a call.

Last edited by Douglas; 01-27-2017 at 12:10 PM.
Old 01-27-2017, 12:41 PM
From the BAT cave ...

Default Rockport Atrias in Small Listening Room

There is a real risk that they will overpower the room because of the small and nearly square dimensions. You might want to consider monitors plus a sub. That would enable you to take advantage of the great imaging of monitors and still deal with the likelihood that such location would not be ideal for large woofers. BUT, if it is a dedicated room that you can acoustically treat, you can make the big boys work (it's a hassle). By the way, I am not stalking you, you just leave questions in a lot of different places.

Last edited by chessman; 01-27-2017 at 06:32 PM.
Old 01-27-2017, 01:08 PM

Amadave,
Where are you in Texas? I have Aviors in a room that is 5 feet wider with the same depth. I also have 2 Gothams. IMO, you may lose some soundstage width but near field listening isn't all bad. My Aviors image quite well and I still feel like the soundstage goes beyond the room. I can't answer if its too much speaker as my room is open on both sides, so I imagine that changes things a bit. I've heard the Atrias and they are amazing as well. Personally, I would rather have too much speaker than too little. If you're near Houston and want to check out my room, feel free to PM me.
Old 01-27-2017, 01:29 PM

Consider monitors with a sub. Also consider placing monitors with one of the corners of the room between them. I've always had good results with a setup like that in a small room in the past.
Old 01-27-2017, 02:56 PM

I agree with most comments. Atrias in your size room might be a bit too big. I think you can dial them in with some room treatment especially bass traps to tame the lower end of it excites some room modes but more importantly you won't be able to get full width, height and depth of imaging the speakers are capable of as they do require some space behind and from the side walls and at least 8' from the listening position to be able to "breath."

I think monitors with a smaller sub might be way to go as Serge suggested above.

Good luck.
Old 01-27-2017, 03:58 PM

Your room is too small unless you employ dsp. You will likely excite bass nodes that will not be amendable to bass trapping. Also, as someone mentioned, the room is too small to allow the speakers to "breathe".

Monitors with subs is a great idea along with dsp to tie it all in. Or get the speakers you want and simply make it work and the hell with all of us. Maybe you'll get a bigger room one day and then you'll be all set!

Naturally, all IMHO.
Old 01-27-2017, 04:11 PM

You may want to consider Wilson Duette 2, which is designed to work against the wall.
Old 01-27-2017, 05:47 PM

Within the responses, there have been several comments regarding the Atrias being too big for the room. I share this concern. I don't want to pay big money for performance I am not able to realize. I discussed this with the dealer and he assured me they wouldn't be. Although there is an obvious motivation to sell. He suggested I call Andy Payor to discuss my concerns. I am assuming his opinion is prefaced on me performing room treatments. I heard the speakers in a room not much larger than mine, but it did have a much higher ceiling.
Old 01-27-2017, 09:59 PM

so what is your alternative to the rockports? Where will you sit in the room in relationship to the speakers? What electronics do you own, or will you be buying new? Do you listen to digital, analog or both?