Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shindo Laboratory

Shindo Laboratory Sound Create Producer

Old 01-21-2012, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranklinLG View Post
CJ,

Here's a photo of the X's:

Wizard High-End Audio Blog: DeVore Fidelity Gibbon X speakers

Candidly, I was a little surprised to read they cost $11K. For that money I'd jump up to the Os.
Hum....I saw the small report in Stereophile web's site. Interesting that DeVore did not choose Shindo to pair them. Maybe that association with ARC reduced his exhibitor's costs....
Old 01-21-2012, 09:54 AM

From what I've seen over the years, DeVore has not typically paired his equipment with Shindo at these events. In the reports that I've seen he's often used Leben. I can't fault the guy if he is trying to show his products working with other set-ups. It certainly wouldn't hurt business.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:35 AM

CJ,

I, too, would love to hear and or read John's thoughts. I really like his approach, and I think the Os are really incredible. It would be fun to learn more about what he's doing, his thoughts, and why he choses certain things. Hopefully, when he makes the reference Os I will have the opportunity before upgrading...
Old 01-21-2012, 08:26 PM

Having owned the Nines, and now the 0/96's, I think Old Grey's advice is spot on. I think the 0/96's will do two things for you. First: they have IMHO, better dynamic capabilities than the Nines. Second: All of a sudden, your amplifier choices become more wide open.
I am using the Corton EL-34, 25 watt mono's with great success. My preamp is the Monbrison. Perhaps checking out The Tens AND the 0/96's would be interesting.
Old 01-22-2012, 03:37 AM

Hmmm, would the O's work well with low power as well? I'd love to try Shindo's SET setup sometime.

Think I need to have a chat with Matt too...thanks for the replies and still interested in others thoughts combinations on the subject.
Old 01-22-2012, 05:31 PM

Adhesiv,

The Os' are terrific speakers. Here's my review on them. I currently use them with a pair of 300B mono blocks that are about 8-9 watts each. And while I am actively looking at a possible implementation involving some 211 tubes, which would put me up closer to 20-25 watts, I don't plan to get rid of my 300B amps. I love them, and they work well with low powered SET's!
Old 01-24-2012, 10:56 PM

And I am using the Devore O's with a Shindo Cortese. Sounds wonderful as well! Have not yet run out of power - 13' by 23' room.

Barr
Old 01-24-2012, 10:59 PM

fjn04... Welcome To AA!!!

Old 01-25-2012, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranklinLG View Post
Adhesiv,

The Os' are terrific speakers. Here's my review on them. I currently use them with a pair of 300B mono blocks that are about 8-9 watts each. And while I am actively looking at a possible implementation involving some 211 tubes, which would put me up closer to 20-25 watts, I don't plan to get rid of my 300B amps. I love them, and they work well with low powered SET's!
Franklin,

Great review. With regards to the O96's bass, I didnt have much of a chance to position my O96's around the room, but overall I find them slightly elevated. This attribute does not diminish the enjoyment I get with the speaker, which is considerable, I just don’t think the pure "amount" of bass is particularly accurate.
I have owned Wilson Sophia's that bettered the O96's in this aspect. They had bass drive, impact and depth while not drawing attention to themselves. The bass of the O96's does better the Wilsons in texture and touch.
My system has been in storage for a few weeks and I really miss my Shindo/O96's combo.

Your 300B/O96 combination must be steller. With a VR that must be icing on the cake…I would love to move up to a VR!
Old 01-25-2012, 01:53 PM

Lowens,

Thanks for the kind words. I am intrigued by your statement that you found the O96s' "slightly elevated". Can you explain what that means for you? I'm not trying to be difficult, just wanting to understand. I am also interested in better understanding your comment about the "amount" of bass. Do you mean it in the context of there being "more" bass than what you would expect or believe to be there? Candidly, I just notice that there is more rumble than I heard with anything else. That in turn has provided a greater contrast with the rest of the music, much like the black levels do on a nice Plasma or the new OLED. Just how it might compare with the Sophia's would be interesting. But for me, ignorance is bliss...

BTW, that stinks that you're without everything for a while. Your situation is giving me some pause about a remodel we have planned for late this year. Fortunately, it should not require scuttling the system...

As for the VR - I can't wait! But it sounds like I may not get it and it's cousin, Mr. T until late February. So I'm without anything that I'd call "audiophile" right now. I am, however, able to use my HT Pre-Pro with an EAR phono stage.

You know, FWIW, I was planning on getting the masseto. However, I was able to sell some extra and replaced equipment off and get a little more than I expected. So the leap to the VR was not as bad as you'd have thought. I just hope I can stick to that and not hear the siren call of the Giscour... But then, someone else on this forum just heard the call. So I may soon find out how great it is...

For now, I'm lovin' the Os!

Take care, Lowens, and thanks in advance for the input!