AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Tannoy Speakers

Tannoy Speakers Over 80 Years of Audio Invention

Old 03-31-2020, 02:31 PM

Default Tannoy Prestige - Amp Matching

Hello,

I am looking for general discussion on matching Tannoy Prestige models to various amplifiers.

For me I have the GRF90's currently powered by a Luxman L-507uXII. Their middle of the line integrated amp, running 110Wpc at 8ohms. "...specified idle AC draw of 86 watts, it is reasonable to assume that the L-507uXII is biased relatively richly into Class A operation." While I like the amp for its flexibility and simplicity, I would like to plan on upgrading down the line. As I intend to have these speakers for a long time (unless I find a pair of CANTERBURY GR for a reasonable price...), I would like to know what amplifiers I should be setting my sights on for the future.

Do members here use high powered Class AB, lower power Class A, solid state, tubes... low power 300B tubes...?

I am interested to hear your thoughts and experiences.

Thank you for the discussion.
Steve

Review of the Luxman:
https://positive-feedback.com/review...ted-amplifier/
Old 03-31-2020, 08:56 PM

I use a McIntosh MC352 or a Yarland 845pro (18 watts max!) on my Tannoy Canterburys.

Both sound fantastic, and I use either one depending on mood.

I've listened to Tannoy Westminsters driven by a Plinius 250 Mk4 Power Amp, (an Amp I don't like) & the Westminsters sounded terrific!

That's the beauty of Tannoy Prestige speakers- you have a wide scope when choosing an Amplifier, and IMHO any amp tube, or solid-state (as long as it pumps out more than 15w) will sound great.
Old 03-31-2020, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ421291 View Post

That's the beauty of Tannoy Prestige speakers- you have a wide scope when choosing an Amplifier, and IMHO any amp tube, or solid-state (as long as it pumps out more than 15w) will sound great.
Good to hear -- I find the Luxman is a hair grainy compared to my previous Leben. I am hoping to demo some 300B's in home some time this year.
Old 04-01-2020, 12:42 PM

I have the Accuphase E-650 paired with the Canterbury GR. It’s wonderful. Prior to this I had an Accuphase E-470 and the Tannoy Turnberry SE. Tannoy and Accuphase are a perfect match in my opinion.
Old 04-01-2020, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgens View Post
I have the Accuphase E-650 paired with the Canterbury GR. It’s wonderful. Prior to this I had an Accuphase E-470 and the Tannoy Turnberry SE. Tannoy and Accuphase are a perfect match in my opinion.
Many Asian Audiophiles have this combination!
Old 04-01-2020, 05:53 PM

In my budget range, the Luxman made more sense over the AccuPhase. Local dealer does both and strongly recommended the Lux. I auditioned the amp on a pair of Caterbury. THAT BASS is hard to forget...
Old 04-02-2020, 05:28 AM

You will be very happy from Unison Research Sinfonia or Performance model. Weaker but sufficiently strong for good bass... and amazing sound with Tannoy Prestige line! At least Kensington SE was just OK with Sinfonia (dual-mono 27watt per channel). And also fits by design, more than McIntosh :-)

Good luck.... to find the best for you!!
Karel
Old 04-15-2020, 04:15 PM

I have some experience with Allnic amplification -- very impressive. They currently have two very interesting integrated amps available.

T-1500 mk2: 10w/ch, 300B SET
T-2000 25anv: 100w/ch in push/pull mode and switchable to 50w/ch SET mode. w/KT150s

Ive never heard the KT150 run SET only pp. Any experience with 300B vs KT150 in SET?

https://www.hammertoneaudio.com/alln...ntegrated-amps
Old 04-15-2020, 09:33 PM
Retired

Would 16wpc work for you? If yes, this might be of interest:
https://wallofsound.ca/misc/news/sun...it-from-japan/
Victor Kung at https://www.vkmusic.ca/ up in your area of the world is the importer/distributor and would build the amp for you if you are not into doing so yourself. He also offers an Elekit 300B amp. I use the Elekit preamp and it is a great little piece. If I wasn't so pleased with my Cary amp I would be looking at either the Sun Valley 845 or the Elekit 300B.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 04-15-2020, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
Would 16wpc work for you? If yes, this might be of interest:
https://wallofsound.ca/misc/news/sun...it-from-japan/
Victor Kung at https://www.vkmusic.ca/ up in your area of the world is the importer/distributor and would build the amp for you if you are not into doing so yourself. He also offers an Elekit 300B amp. I use the Elekit preamp and it is a great little piece. If I wasn't so pleased with my Cary amp I would be looking at either the Sun Valley 845 or the Elekit 300B.
Well, this is interesting. Victor has a factory built SunValley 845 in stock. He's offering to supply Psaven WE845 as well... Im not sure I'll be able to test in my home. I have experience with various more common tube designs, but nothing like this... any experience out there?

Thanks again guys.
Steve