AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Music

Music What really matters most

Old 02-02-2020, 01:31 AM

current fave is the "Earls of Leichester" ,a Flatt and Scruggs tribute band. in my catalog is Bill Monroe,Jimmy Martin,Stanly Brothers,Ralph Stanly and the Clinch Mountain Boys,Reno and,Smiley,JD Crowe,Tony Rice and Peter Rowan are just a few. Love that high lonesome sound
Old 02-02-2020, 07:03 AM

I used to go to the BGF at Music Mountain in Canaan Ct.
The music was great fun.
Old 02-02-2020, 08:36 AM

Since my earliest youth. I even took a leak on the same bush as Bill Monroe at a festival many years ago.

In my youth, I spent nearly every weekend one summer on my motorcycle going from festival to festival, chasing Hot Rize (Tim O’Brien is a fabulous artist - just a great songwriter and musician). When I die, I want them to play bluegrass at my wake (my wife refuses to agree to that!).

Just awesome stuff. I could listen to only bluegrass for long stretches many years ago, but now it is sprinkled in with other things. There is a radio station here in Atlanta (WRFG 89.3) that has several bluegrass shows that scratch the itch on a weekly basis.

I could go on forever about it.
Old 02-03-2020, 09:49 AM

Wow! There are some pretty rabid BG fans here. I'm a big Earls Of Leicester fan too. I like both traditional and neo-traditional BG the most. But I'm starting to check out some progressive BG bands. I still prefer BG with all acoustic instruments. There are a few BG bands using electric instruments. Don't care for that too much. Strays a little too far from traditional BG boundaries for me. If you push the boundaries too far it's no longer BG music. However, that doesn't mean it's not good music. Some of it is great music. Just not my personal taste. I probably listen to The Bluegrass Album Band the most. Titanic talent in that band.

Last edited by audiofound; 02-03-2020 at 09:55 AM.
Old 02-03-2020, 11:12 AM
♫ Now playing... ♫

Growing up in rural east Tennessee, we rode our Honda's to bluegrass festivals during the summers and had a blast. The sound of live pickin' without a truckload of amplifiers and speakers was partially to blame for my audio hobby. I loved the sound. All these years later I still enjoy outdoor bluegrass festivals and use them to recalibrate my ears to what music actually sounds like. Maybe it's me but its not the same sound as "high end audio" but that's a topic for another place. Some serious talent in bluegrass and I'm glad to see others enjoying it.
McIntosh MX150, C2300, MC601 (5), MC207, MCD12000, MR88, MPC1500, LB100, MCLK12. Anthem AVM 90. Lumin U1. Bluesound Node. Oppo 205. Bowers & Wilkins 800 D3, CWM8.3D, CCM7.5 S2. SVS SB16-Ultra (4). Shunyata. Wireworld. Transparent. GIK.
Old 02-03-2020, 08:16 PM
Retired

Been going strong since 1972. Make your reservations early as they generally sell out.
https://www.wvfest.com/#
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 02-03-2020, 09:54 PM

Check out merlefest also (named after doc’s deceased son). Great time, great acts. Merlefest.org

If you haven’t been to a bluegrass festival, you should. Great time, great music, fresh air, bad food (but Sunday morning when they do the bluegrass gospel is usually spectacular).
Old 02-08-2020, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirdcuba View Post
Check out merlefest also (named after doc’s deceased son). Great time, great acts. Merlefest.org

If you haven’t been to a bluegrass festival, you should. Great time, great music, fresh air, bad food (but Sunday morning when they do the bluegrass gospel is usually spectacular).

Mando Mania and Midnight Jam were always my faves at MF. Though I understand the midnight jam now starts at 10:00. And yes, the food is bad.
Old 02-11-2020, 01:14 PM
♫ Now playing... ♫

Here's a big July 4 weekend festival at The Caverns for bluegrass fans:

Bluegrass Underground 4th of July Weekend Festival
McIntosh MX150, C2300, MC601 (5), MC207, MCD12000, MR88, MPC1500, LB100, MCLK12. Anthem AVM 90. Lumin U1. Bluesound Node. Oppo 205. Bowers & Wilkins 800 D3, CWM8.3D, CCM7.5 S2. SVS SB16-Ultra (4). Shunyata. Wireworld. Transparent. GIK.
Old 02-23-2020, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofound View Post
Any bluegrass music fans out there?
yep