Turntables & Tonearms Where Analog still Rules

Old 12-14-2015, 01:21 AM
Living La Vida Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlexibleAudio View Post
Thanks. The 14 inch has my attention.
What table would you put it on?
Old 12-14-2015, 10:17 AM

A new Acoustic Signature Ascona mkii. The 11 inch 4 Point works great with the Ascona mki. I am thinking about two of them to accurately a/b different cartridges.
Old 12-15-2015, 12:43 AM
Living La Vida Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlexibleAudio View Post
A new Acoustic Signature Ascona mkii. The 11 inch 4 Point works great with the Ascona mki. I am thinking about two of them to accurately a/b different cartridges.
That would be a superb setup. Sounds like you've found your 'table if you're going to the mkii.

Matching cartridges to the 4Point, have you found it prefers cartridges that tend toward lower dynamic compliance, say 12x10 to the minus 6 cm/dyne and lower?
Old 12-15-2015, 08:43 PM

I do not own the 4 Point but am basing my views on the Jonathan Valin review of the Ascona mki and my understanding that that review led to a large number of people matching the 4 Point to the Ascona with great success.

Last edited by FlexibleAudio; 12-16-2015 at 12:10 AM.
Old 12-16-2015, 04:47 PM

Quote"Average distortion on 9" arms is 0.85%, whilst 12" arms are 0.67%. Some trying to impress will say this is 20% lower distortion, however this is incorrect as in real terms its only 0.18% lower."

Obviously, this company uses an alternative form of Mathematics not recognised in the real world. How could you trust a company whose engineers, designers & marketing staff cannot calculate % changes correctly?

Embarrassing.
Old 12-16-2015, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ421291 View Post
Quote"Average distortion on 9" arms is 0.85%, whilst 12" arms are 0.67%. Some trying to impress will say this is 20% lower distortion, however this is incorrect as in real terms its only 0.18% lower."

Obviously, this company uses an alternative form of Mathematics not recognised in the real world. How could you trust a company whose engineers, designers & marketing staff cannot calculate % changes correctly?

Embarrassing.

Yep. The level of existing distortion (which happens to have percentage as its defined unit) is in fact reduced by 20 percent! That's just simple math.

The fact that distortion itself is measured as a percentage is not the point whatsoever.

Last edited by FlexibleAudio; 12-16-2015 at 11:58 PM.
Old 01-08-2016, 03:33 AM
Living La Vida Vinyl

I suspect Paul has this information but for others following this thread, the MSRP for the 4Point 14" is $8995.00. No reason to think the 14" 4Point is different from the 11" model but with lower tracking distortion.

"Notes
This arm is a NEW version of Kuzma's 4Point design (single wire set only: no RCA Box), one with a 14 inch arm tube, intended for installation on turntables that are set up for 12" arms already. It is otherwise identical to the standard 4Point: a VTA tower similar to the Airline, one that features damping in both the vertical and horizontal planes, as well as a detachable head shell (the electrical connections never break...) that allows easy changing of cartridges. Terminated with a 1.5M length of hard-wired Crystal Cable silver-wired cables with Eichmann Silver Bullet RCA plugs. May be custom-ordered in XLR termination. "

Old 01-10-2016, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ421291 View Post
Quote"Average distortion on 9" arms is 0.85%, whilst 12" arms are 0.67%. Some trying to impress will say this is 20% lower distortion, however this is incorrect as in real terms its only 0.18% lower." Obviously, this company uses an alternative form of Mathematics not recognised in the real world. How could you trust a company whose engineers, designers & marketing staff cannot calculate % changes correctly? Embarrassing.
0.18% is absolute, whereas 20% (approximately) is relative.
Old 01-22-2016, 01:50 PM

Mathematics and physics seem on occasion to be different on the island called UK.
Anyway I Love my Airline
4 point versus Airline is a close call soundwise, but once you get used to tangential there's no way back. I dare say the Airline is not a 'better' sounding arm, it misses something, which you are not aware of with 4point until direct comparising with the Airline.
Ive set up many 4points at friends, the Airline asks for more commitment in setup and maintenance on the air compressor. I would advise 4point in any situation. The 14" is a very interesting move, maybe it get's closer to the Airline, may be very well the sole intention..
Old 02-28-2016, 05:25 AM

Not all is about geomtry, What about mass inertia of this big 4p? Maybe it hass poorer tracking abilities than 11", no as fast...