AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Japanese Exotica

Japanese Exotica Kondo, Leben, Luxman, Zanden

Old 01-18-2013, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene
I am pretty much down to these 2 decks. Although, still wondering about Audio Note DAC and transport combo possibility.

Anyone heard D-08 and K-01? Which do you like better?
Quite different prices over here. The luxman is warmer sounding than the Esoteric and cheaper by quite a bit over here.

Howie
Old 01-18-2013, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Luxman may be importing quality audio components now, but their history doesn't instill a lot of confidence in me. The company was sold in 1985 to Alpine, famous for car audio, who promptly dragged the brand name, its products and reputation down to mid-fi level manufacturing cheap products to compete with the Big Box store offerings from Yamaha, Panasonic, Kenwood, and Sony. Luxman was one aisle over from the vacuum cleaners and microwave ovens. Then in 1995 Alpine sold the Luxman brand to Samsung who continued pumping out cheap mid-fi products with the Luxman logo. In 2000 the brand was sold back to Luxman Japan where it struggled for the next seven years to regain some form of notoriety in world distribution markets. In 2007 Philip O’Hanlan, with his On a Higher Note distributorship, resurrected the Luxman brand in the U.S. market. Luxman Japan had continued to sell Luxman in Japan during all of these years, but only in the past five years has Luxman been solid enough to gradually regain some semblance of its former self and high-end audio credentials in this market.

I will be the first to say Luxman has gained favor with many audiophiles in recent years and that's a good thing. I have read positive reviews from pundits and owners of their integrated amplifiers and other components, so they are recovering. Still, I remember the legacy of their past and can't help wonder if Luxman is really back, or just back while the going is good.
Interesting and thoughtful post Dan... It is my perception that this cycle has happened to many hifi brands. Well, perhaps not in quite the same way, but that quality is replaced in favor of quantity, meaning to compete with popular chain store brands...and then the brand nearly disappears, or simply dies...
Old 01-18-2013, 10:13 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haurock View Post
Interesting and thoughtful post Dan... It is my perception that this cycle has happened to many hifi brands. Well, perhaps not in quite the same way, but that quality is replaced in favor of quantity, meaning to compete with popular chain store brands...and then the brand nearly disappears, or simply dies...
Rock.......You are correct. At least a half dozen well known brands come to mind. Some recovered, some did not. I don't mean anything disparaging toward Luxman products or Luxman owners. I owned a Luxman receiver myself. Were I comparing a Luxman product to an Esoteric product, which is the original topic under discussion, I would weigh both company's history and past performance in order to help make my decision. Of course the actual performance of the gear in question would be essential in a purchase decision, as well.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 01-20-2013, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Luxman may be importing quality audio components now, but their history doesn't instill a lot of confidence in me. The company was sold in 1985 to Alpine, famous for car audio, who promptly dragged the brand name, its products and reputation down to mid-fi level manufacturing cheap products to compete with the Big Box store offerings from Yamaha, Panasonic, Kenwood, and Sony. Luxman was one aisle over from the vacuum cleaners and microwave ovens. Then in 1995 Alpine sold the Luxman brand to Samsung who continued pumping out cheap mid-fi products with the Luxman logo. In 2000 the brand was sold back to Luxman Japan where it struggled for the next seven years to regain some form of notoriety in world distribution markets. In 2007 Philip O’Hanlan, with his On a Higher Note distributorship, resurrected the Luxman brand in the U.S. market. Luxman Japan had continued to sell Luxman in Japan during all of these years, but only in the past five years has Luxman been solid enough to gradually regain some semblance of its former self and high-end audio credentials in this market.

I will be the first to say Luxman has gained favor with many audiophiles in recent years and that's a good thing. I have read positive reviews from pundits and owners of their integrated amplifiers and other components, so they are recovering. Still, I remember the legacy of their past and can't help wonder if Luxman is really back, or just back while the going is good.
While everything you've written is true, Luxman never stopped manufacturing top end gear through those years, unfortunately said gear was not sold in North America.

If you check the net you'll find alot of Lux gear like the M-7 and the M-10 that was being manufactured and sold, again though, not in NA.

Alpine dragged Lux down, but did allow the highend group to continue on.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:21 AM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio39 View Post
While everything you've written is true, Luxman never stopped manufacturing top end gear through those years, unfortunately said gear was not sold in North America.

If you check the net you'll find alot of Lux gear like the M-7 and the M-10 that was being manufactured and sold, again though, not in NA.

Alpine dragged Lux down, but did allow the highend group to continue on.
audio39.......Welcome to Audio Aficionado.

Yes, you are correct, Luxman continued to manufacture quality components sold in Japan. I believe I made mention of that, although I did not clarify that the Japanese Luxman components maintained their high-end status. Thanks for bring that up. Unfortunately the Luxman products sold in the US for well over ten years nearly ruined their reputation here and some of that stigma remains. It will fade if Luxman stays the course.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 01-24-2013, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
I think perhaps the Luxman or Audio Note will be best in my system. I do prefer a more musical sound myself. And my speakers do have beryllium tweeters.
I had a Luxman D06 before purchasing the Accuphase DP700.

Luxman sources are natural (not "hyperanalitic") but not warm sounding, they are highly neutral, if your system sounds forward they will make it sound forward.

Stay away from the Esoteric, and choose between the D08 and the warmer DP700.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Rock.......You are correct. At least a half dozen well known brands come to mind. Some recovered, some did not. I don't mean anything disparaging toward Luxman products or Luxman owners. I owned a Luxman receiver myself. Were I comparing a Luxman product to an Esoteric product, which is the original topic under discussion, I would weigh both company's history and past performance in order to help make my decision.

Of course the actual performance of the gear in question would be essential in a purchase decision, as well.
---- That's what counts big time. ...Plus the harmonic synergy with the OP's rest of the system.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:24 PM

-- ...But if you truly want the very best ('state-of-the-art' IMO), there is also the dCS Scarlatti digital playback system.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:04 AM

my vote between the two is K1.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggy View Post
I had a Luxman D06 before purchasing the Accuphase DP700.

Luxman sources are natural (not "hyperanalitic") but not warm sounding, they are highly neutral, if your system sounds forward they will make it sound forward.

Stay away from the Esoteric, and choose between the D08 and the warmer DP700.
agree with biggy. i used to have d-06 before and i felt the same as biggy
Denon DVD-A1UD