AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Focal Speakers

Focal Speakers The Spirit of Sound

Old 11-14-2018, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ampteks View Post
Yes 11RS White, 08RS Silver. FLT6SPD on rennlist...
Nice! I have an '07 GT3 street/track car and also a Cayman S that has been converted to a dedicated track car. I'm Jake951 on Rennlist.
Old 03-27-2019, 03:44 PM

To get this thread going again-
Some discussion about the Kanta 3's vs. the Sopra 3's: I've been a Kanta 3 owner since last (early) October, only a few weeks after they were introduced in the U.S. I had the opportunity to hear both models on Mac gear at my dealer. I could not justify the difference in price, especially since I got the Kanta 3's under 10K. I could have gotten close to the same discount percentage off the Sopra's. There was not enough difference to justify the cost difference. In fact, in one very important category to me, I found the Kanta 3's warmer with no loss in detail. At home I'm using them with Primaluna amp/ preamp (amp with upgrated KT88 power tubes) and one important note- these things take a LONG time to break in, at least 150 hours, maybe 200 hours, and they quite noticably change character in the warmth department. They are amazing speakers from top to bottom and have no distinguishable lack throughout the frequency spectrum. The top end, obviously with their Berillium tweeter is well known. I am a basshead, and subwoofers are not needed, although I may turn them on at low levels at night to add a little "bass boost". These must be auditioned with a really good source and amplification for anyone looking +/- 10K for a pair of speakers. Amazing.
Old 05-09-2020, 10:11 AM

I liked these Kanta 3's speakers more than the raved Yamaha ns 5000's. I heard them with the new Mark Levinson No 585.5 Integrated amp..match made in Audio Heaven!
Old 06-11-2020, 06:04 PM
Bun E. Carlos

I dream of Kanta 3’s....
Old 06-17-2020, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garpt View Post
To get this thread going again-
Some discussion about the Kanta 3's vs. the Sopra 3's: I've been a Kanta 3 owner since last (early) October, only a few weeks after they were introduced in the U.S. I had the opportunity to hear both models on Mac gear at my dealer. I could not justify the difference in price, especially since I got the Kanta 3's under 10K. I could have gotten close to the same discount percentage off the Sopra's. There was not enough difference to justify the cost difference. In fact, in one very important category to me, I found the Kanta 3's warmer with no loss in detail. At home I'm using them with Primaluna amp/ preamp (amp with upgrated KT88 power tubes) and one important note- these things take a LONG time to break in, at least 150 hours, maybe 200 hours, and they quite noticably change character in the warmth department. They are amazing speakers from top to bottom and have no distinguishable lack throughout the frequency spectrum. The top end, obviously with their Berillium tweeter is well known. I am a basshead, and subwoofers are not needed, although I may turn them on at low levels at night to add a little "bass boost". These must be auditioned with a really good source and amplification for anyone looking +/- 10K for a pair of speakers. Amazing.

Interesting. The biggest improvement going from the Kanta to the Sopra is bass performance. I am surprised you prefer the Kanta in that respect, but the cost factor was obviously a factor in your decision. And warmer and more detailed than the Sopra? Hmmmm...
Old 07-12-2020, 05:33 PM

@ garpt.
Hi, I am somewhat new to audioaficionado. I’ve read all the threads on amps in the McIntosh forum. I also bought the Focal Kanta 2’s and had them for a year and traded them in for Kanta 3’s last october. I also had demoed in my home with the Kanta 3’s the PrimaLuna Evo 400 preamp. However, I’m still amazed at the sound I hear every day when I listen to music. I use a turntable and also a bluesound node 2i. I’m Glad to hear that you are enjoying them.
Old 05-30-2021, 09:05 PM

Default Room size?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamitloud View Post
@ garpt.
Hi, I am somewhat new to audioaficionado. I’ve read all the threads on amps in the McIntosh forum. I also bought the Focal Kanta 2’s and had them for a year and traded them in for Kanta 3’s last october. I also had demoed in my home with the Kanta 3’s the PrimaLuna Evo 400 preamp. However, I’m still amazed at the sound I hear every day when I listen to music. I use a turntable and also a bluesound node 2i. I’m Glad to hear that you are enjoying them.
How many soft is your room?
Old 07-28-2022, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orosie View Post
Interesting. The biggest improvement going from the Kanta to the Sopra is bass performance. I am surprised you prefer the Kanta in that respect, but the cost factor was obviously a factor in your decision. And warmer and more detailed than the Sopra? Hmmmm...
A little late to this thread. I auditioned both, and while there was significantly more bass with the Sopra 3s (to be expected), I didn't feel the bass was 'better'. I felt that the bass detail was better with the Kanta 3 and also felt the bass was more agile given the different woofers used.

Auditioned at a dealer with a well treated room with good speaker placement and the setup being the same minus swapping speakers. That said, on jazz/blues/classical/acoustical music, I preferred the Sopras which were better as a lot of songs in those genres tend to be lighter in bass.