AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Aurender

Aurender Reference Music Servers

Old 09-30-2018, 11:34 AM
Ultra-Fast 69

Default SACD, PCM against the Aurender N10

Writing to share my self analysis on comparing Master Recordings on SACD, against Streaming and the Components themselves.

I anxiously ordered the new Masters Copy of Jimi Hendrix’s Axis Bold as Love, done by the World Renowned Bernie Grundman. The same album where Jimi lost (never to be found) the final approved mixing while on his way home from the studio for the pressing of the first side of Axis Bold as Love - he had to quickly remix a full side in time for the Holiday release.

I also played SACD’s of Santana’s first album, Santana and the Grateful Dead’s, Workingman’s Dead both from Mobile Fidelity’s numbered pressings.

While this may not be everyones favorite genre, it was the comparison result I was after.

Playback:

Currently I am using the PS Audio Direct Stream Memory Transport, connected via I2S as recommended, which in my system does make the best connection. PS claims the I2S (HDMI) connection transfers the data from the clocks on separate wires within the HDMI cable that allows for near perfect transfer rates to the DAC.

I use an Aurender N10 8TB audio grade server highlighting its super accurate 12.8 MHz OCXO clock with an accuracy of 0.02 parts per million. This is fed into the PS Audio Direct Stream via AES cabling.

The Direct Stream DAC is designed to receive data in a simple flow path with all signals upsampled to a rate of 10X DSD outputted via XLR into the PreAmp turned eventually into audible sound.

All three components have the latest firmware upgrades, electrically and mechanically grounded with high-end power, AES, XLR and ethernet cables.

I sat down for a listen and compared the SACD against streaming and determined the meter tilts slightly to the SACD player, with the caveat being the test is compared using only my ears. Volumes were adjusted while I conducted A/B switches between components by simply depressing the corresponding buttons on the remote. The volume was adjusted up and down between selections since the Aurender played slightly louder - the volume between the two was adjusted and measured to approximately 75 DB listening using the SD6 Microphone and its application on my iPad.

I can use many adjectives until I am blue in the face, but keeping it simple, the difference in quality is very close where it was not easy to realize the sonic differences. In simple terms, there is just a bit (no pun intended) more resolution clarity in the presentation with the SACD, and I reiterate “just a bit more”.

What fascinates me most, is how two very different ways of engineering lands you virtually at the same place, maybe no different than many tangible inventions, and I guess you could throw in intangibles as well, I guess we all get somewhere eventually.

In the case of Axis, here you have the latest SACD made from the supposed master compared to a stored catalog version being streamed over the internet and not really knowing how the music was copied on to the streaming companies server, in this case it is Tidal and despite this the comparison was a remarkablably close comparison.

Post copy insert: I ran some PCM discs in the same manner, and would point the needle slightly to the Aurender N10, exactly the opposite of SACD. Again so minimal, that you really need to critically listen with no interruption. Both the PCM and SACD sound so damn good, that your lost in the sound while toe tapping, playing air guitars and drums.

In this case, I went back and forth wondering if it is the music or the systems that makes up for things. In this test, the system seems to overcomes the music mastering making things almost equal where if I did not have both units as comparisons then how would I ever really know. If I replaced my current DAC and Transport with what is perceived to be a superior DAC and Transport costing $M’s more would that mean it would surpass both the Aurender N10 and the PS Audio Direct Stream and Memory Player? Dunno. Would it be worth it? Dunno. If so, how much more worth it? Dunno. And let’s say a more higher DAC and Transport did surpass the Aurender, does that mean it’s changing the sound in its own way?

What does this all mean? Not sure any way is better than the other as your miles will vary, but the idea is to raise questions and help you to figure out what’s best for you. From what I am hearing at the moment, and was building a new system there would be serious consideration towards adding a transport as much as I like discs, and maybe use the money towards Analog. The easy button for me and the most used is to stream or download, however, the purchase of a transport was decided early on since I has a lot of CD’s, followed by SACD’s. And now with better options on ripping, I can simply transfer these to a server, 100’s at a time.

So many questions, I’m starting to think maybe it’s time to switch things off and go watch some American Football. Maybe next time I’ll just ask the Axis, he knows everything...yeah
Old 09-30-2018, 02:50 PM

Great write up! I have experienced the same on SACD. On regular CD’s though in my setup the Esoteric K-01Xs does win out over my Aurender which is only the N100h. I’ll get an N10 or W20 at some point and see what sounds better then.

George
Old 09-30-2018, 06:57 PM

I also have the same findings. SACD's sound better on my Esoteric K-01x as do CD's compared to my N10. I do use my N10 much more often for the ease of use and for the huge Tidal library and MQA.

Harbeth 40.3 XD, Sound Anchor stands w/ Stillpoints, Luxman M900 & C900, Aurender N20, Jay's Audio CDT3 - MK3 CD player, Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC, Shunyata Denali 6000/s V2, Altaira
Old 09-30-2018, 11:22 PM

I don't have an aurender, but I consistently find that cd or sacd on my k01x outperforms DSD or hi res pcm from roon/tidal through my k01x dac.
Old 10-02-2018, 06:45 AM

For the love of music ... my experience parallels yours. When I owned the K01X, I could not detect any significant sonic difference between a file played off the hard drive on my Aurender X100L into the K01X via USB vs actual CD spinning in K01X which surprised me as my bias was to expect the disc spinning in the lauded esoteric transport to be a clear winner. It simply wasn’t the case for me. Same thing streaming from Tidal, no sig difference.

Preamp: McIntosh C1100T/C1100C, McIntosh MX180
Amp: McIntosh MC611 (2), MC601 (3), MI254
Digital: McIntosh D1100, McIntosh MCT450, Meridian 808v6, Aurender N20, Aurender ACS10, Oppo 203
Analog: McIntosh MT10, Hana Umami Red
Phono preamp: Simaudio Moon 610LP, 820S
Signal cables: WW Gold Eclipse 7 speaker cables; Shunyata Sigma v2 XLR (2); Sigma v1 XLR (2), Transparent Ref XL (MM2) XLR; WW Silver Eclipse 7 (4)
Digital cables: Shunyata Omega USB, Omega Ethernet, Sigma Ethernet; WW Platinum 7 Coax, AES/EBU
Switch: Innuos PhoenixNet
Power: Audioquest Niagara 7000, Audioquest 5000, Audioquest Dragon, Hurricane PC, Shunyata Alpha HC, AQ NRG Edison outlets, (8) 20 amp dedicated lines, 125 amp subpanel
Speakers: Wilson Sasha DAW, Dynaudio Contour 30, Dynaudio Contour 25C
Subs: REL s/812 (6), REL s/510 (3)
Accessories: HRS M3X2 shelf (MT10), Stillpoints Ultra II v2 w/ bases (21), Ultra SS (12), Mini (12), LPi v1
Sound treaments: Artnovion