AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Vivid Audio

Vivid Audio Auditory Acuity

Old 12-17-2013, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portugal View Post
I've upgraded from the B1 to the G3 getting deeper fuller lows.
Hey Portugal, is the low bass the only difference that you have noticed? I have a high end digital source on my B1. In a second system I have a much more modest turntable/amp/speakers and it seems preferable. Where I can compare the same album I prefer the music presentation in the vinyl. I am thinking that the vinyl needs to be added to the main system, although I would have to get a phono stage and reorganise the space to do it. Alternately I may just alternate systems just to provide variety. I have a "listening from the adjoining room test". With the digital it sounds balanced and much better from the next room. The more modest vinyl sounds coloured, sort of a hollow sound. There could be many factors at play as the systems are in different rooms. It's just amazing how engaging the vinyl sounds when listening from the sweet spot. Maybe it's just the novelty of a different sound rather than a better one.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:06 PM
Mac + Ayre + Vivid + Stax

Briz... one thing I would like to highlight regarding VividAudio is that they don't apply cheaper components on cheaper products. Notice that the B1 has 3 drivers (4 considering the one in the back). Those 3 drivers are also used by the higher end models including the G1.

So the components on the B1 are the best Vivid can make. There is a common high quality sound across the product line.

Then, as you move up the product line, you get those same B1 drivers + extra drivers designed to produce powerful bass.

So yes, upgrading from the B1 to the G3 the main difference is deeper more powerful bass... The B1 are that good.
ACDC - Back in Black. Adele - 19. Bryan Adams - Bare Bones. Diana Krall - Live in Paris; When I Look in Your Eyes. Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms. Don Williams - Borrowed Tales. FleetwoodMac - Tango in the Night. Frank Sinatra - At the Sands. Genesis - A Trick of the Tail. Gipsy Kings - Love Songs. Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark. Keith Jarrett - The Koln Concert. Marillion - Script For A Jester's Tear. Marta Gómez - Entre Cada Palabra. Metallica - Metallica. Michael Jackson - Thriller. Miles Davis - Kind of Blue. The Moody Blues - Days of Future Passed. Pink Floyd - Delicate Sound of Thunder; Wish You Were Here. Rodrigo Y Gabriela - Live in Japan. U2 - Rattle and Hum.

Last edited by Portugal; 12-17-2013 at 08:08 PM.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portugal View Post
Briz... one thing I would like to highlight regarding VividAudio is that they don't apply cheaper components on cheaper products. Notice that the B1 has 3 drivers (4 considering the one in the back). Those 3 drivers are also used by the higher end models including the G1.

So the components on the B1 are the best Vivid can make. There is a common high quality sound across the product line.

Then, as you move up the product line, you get those same B1 drivers + extra drivers designed to produce powerful bass.

So yes, upgrading from the B1 to the G3 the main difference is deeper more powerful bass... The B1 are that good.

The models are also crossed over differently, that is the main benefit of the K1 over the B1...

http://www.vividaudio.com/speakers/o...ftmanship.html
Old 12-17-2013, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart View Post
bmwmcab, welcome!

Thanks Bart!! I would love to own the G2 in the future!!
Old 12-18-2013, 05:20 AM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwmcab View Post
Thanks Bart!! I would love to own the G2 in the future!!
We'l keep our fingers crossed that your dream may come true!
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 01-15-2014, 03:26 PM

Anyone go to the 2014 CES? In the Vivid room, the B1's were used paired up with the new Luxman amp and Lawrence Dickie was there!
Old 01-18-2014, 08:10 AM

The B1 design would have to be a decade old now. Interesting that it still makes the cut for the introduction of a new amplifier.

I assume that the amp was at the B1 level, ie expensive but not über expensive. We'll only a little bit uber expensive. I think you can still get a new car for the money.
Old 01-18-2014, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1998 View Post
The models are also crossed over differently, that is the main benefit of the K1 over the B1...

K1 Craftmanship
Actually the crossovers are handled exactly the same in the K1 and B1:

B1: Cross over frequencies (Hz): 100, 900, 4000
K1: Cross over frequencies (Hz): 100, 900, 4000

And if you read the craftmanship description of the B1, it is essentially the same as the K1 when describing the cross over: B1 Craftmanship

Like someone else said here, the primary difference as you go up the line is increased power handling capability and low frequency response. There really isn't isn't much difference in LF extension between the K1 and B1, the primary difference is greater power handling for the K1. You have to jump to Giyas to get greater LF extension (below 38Hz).

In the oval series the K1 and B1 share the same drivers, but the K1 has 4 LF drivers while the B1 has 2 LF drivers. Giya models share the same HF, MF and LF (they call this Mid Bass on the Giya line) drivers that the B1 and K1 have, but each Giya model has model specific LF drivers.

Back to K1 vs B1, I own B1s and haven't heard the K1, but for the added money, unless you need to fill up a big room with sound, you're not going to get low frequency extension like you would from the Giyas. I use JLAudio f112 subs to supplement the LF response of the B1s and they blend seamlessly.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:01 AM

Better bass loading is definitely what I heard after demoing the K-1s and then trying the Giya G2s.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:20 AM

I think you will find that parts quality in the crossover is different.

I've heard the difference in changing 4 diodes in my preamp with faster ones.

The magic of a speaker is in its midrange. A little better bass is not my perception of the Vivids i have heard (B1, K1, G3). Only heard my B1s at home however.