AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Headphones, Personal Listening Gear

Headphones, Personal Listening Gear Personal Listening at its Best

Old 02-21-2012, 12:19 PM

Have you considered a Stax combination?

Home Main System:
Magnepan 20.7, Pass Labs XA 100.5, Audio Research Reference 6, Esoteric P-03, D-03, G0-Rb, DV-60, Clearaudio Innovation & Tangent arm, VPI HW19 MK4 & ET 2.5 arm, Mark Levinson 37, Aesthetix Rhea Signature, Magnum Dynalab Etude, Kiseki PHS, Sumiko Palos Santos Presentation,Wireworld, Crystal Absolute Dream, Shunyata, Acoustic Zen, and Stealth cables

Other
Avalon Arcus, Snell Type AIII, Tympani IV, Green Mountain Europa, Martin Logan CLS, Tympani 1D, Counterpoint, GAS, Yamaha, Levinson, Perreaux, Proceed, Theta, Linn, and other collectibles, including 60 different headphones and 30+ headphone amps, over 60 cartridges, and too many cables, stands, and tweaks to list.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiot servant View Post
I buy good headphones/amps like the LCD2 r1 and AKG 702 and the Violectric which sound fantastic and musical and then listen to the speakers??? Doesn't make sense to me either... recently nearly upgraded to Audeze LCD3 and a Cavalli Liquid Fire so they could also sit around unused... I will learn eventually or maybe .. actually I used to own a marvellous ref Stax set up with the SRMt1 tube energiser amp that hardly got used either... hmmm, when it comes to headphones I think I might suffer from what in Australia is known as having a few too many kangaroos loose in the top paddock...

Graham
Graham,at least you're still one step ahead of having had a clearing sale in the top paddock!
Old 02-21-2012, 04:55 PM

I really like my Grado SR125's and I listen to them at night when I want to crank it up a little without bothering the neighbors. The only thing that bothers me about headphones is that, basically, there's no sound stage. The sound seems to come from the middle of my head, for the most part.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:04 PM

I was reading an article the other day about the Smyth Realiser A8. This product emulates the experieince of listening to speakers in a headphone system. Sounds like an interesting concept, and something I would like to try. Sounds like it should eliminate that "from the middle of the head" complaint.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randerson3024 View Post
Have you considered a Stax combination?
No, I'm not familiar with that.

Seems I have a few loose kangaroos too!
Old 02-21-2012, 07:02 PM

If you are an electrostatic speaker lover, you really owe it to yourself to audition these. Stax has been around a long time, and make fabulous electrostatic headphones. I am attaching some pictures. The basic set is probably $700 (?) and go up in range to $6000. Sennheiser also made some great electrostatic headphones, the Orpheus, and Baby Orpheus. They are rare but worth the wait, although the notariety has caused the price to be almost absurd.

Home Main System:
Magnepan 20.7, Pass Labs XA 100.5, Audio Research Reference 6, Esoteric P-03, D-03, G0-Rb, DV-60, Clearaudio Innovation & Tangent arm, VPI HW19 MK4 & ET 2.5 arm, Mark Levinson 37, Aesthetix Rhea Signature, Magnum Dynalab Etude, Kiseki PHS, Sumiko Palos Santos Presentation,Wireworld, Crystal Absolute Dream, Shunyata, Acoustic Zen, and Stealth cables

Other
Avalon Arcus, Snell Type AIII, Tympani IV, Green Mountain Europa, Martin Logan CLS, Tympani 1D, Counterpoint, GAS, Yamaha, Levinson, Perreaux, Proceed, Theta, Linn, and other collectibles, including 60 different headphones and 30+ headphone amps, over 60 cartridges, and too many cables, stands, and tweaks to list.

Last edited by Robert_Anderson; 02-21-2012 at 07:04 PM.
Old 02-22-2012, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzr View Post
Graham,at least you're still one step ahead of having had a clearing sale in the top paddock!

Kev, I get rid of them and they keep coming back... maybe it's the music in the head that excites the roos in the first place.
Old 02-22-2012, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portugal View Post
The Violectric V200 and Cavalli LF are front runers on my upgrade plan...
Portugal,

Good list but I'd swap the order around... Cavalli Liquid Fire by a clear head then the delightful Violectric.
Old 02-22-2012, 02:19 AM
dpod4

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiot servant

Portugal,

Good list but I'd swap the order around... Cavalli Liquid Fire by a clear head then the delightful Violectric.
Graham, you have good taste. I was blown away when i heard the liquid fire. Perfect name to describe it too. Darrin
Old 02-22-2012, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randerson3024 View Post
I am taking a hard look at the Violectric. Have you had a chance to compare it to an EAR HP-4? Any thoughts and advice you could lend would be great. I don't need a DAC, I just want the best model they have to try.
Haven't had a chance to listen to the HP-4 but I've yet to hear any Ear gear that wasn't worth listening to.

With the Violectric the V-200 is the pick IMO. The V-181 is balanced in and out, the V-200 is balanced in and 2 x SE headphone out. Generally the V-200 just seems to have the edge across the board... and apparently the version without DAC which I got in has a marginal edge again because there's no extra digi stuff in there making noise.

The flavour is bold and dynamic with plenty of drive and a sensational bottom end (hence the affinity with the Audeze). The designer Fried Reim is the dark master of the op amp and they just are something out of the box when paired with the LCD2.

So when you audition the V-200 would be the model I'd try and hear.

That said, if you are going to the LCD3 (which by all accounts isn't as forgiving as the LCD2) I'd definitely let a few more kangaroos out in the top paddock and go for something like the Cavalli out front .. might just end up with a combination that is irresistible... given your great list of headphones and commitment to music everywhere, even at sea, it would be worth a listen if you haven't already... if I listened to headphones more than once or twice a month I'd consider it again... and would be on my final list... either that or completely OTT and go a Stax 009 with a Blue Hawaii BHSE amp... but by then the roos are completely out and jumping all over the place

Graham

Last edited by audiot servant; 02-22-2012 at 02:44 AM.