AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > CD Players, Digital Music & Servers

CD Players, Digital Music & Servers Aurender, dCs, Esoteric, Lumin.

Old 11-26-2017, 12:27 PM

I have been comparing the node2 to the Cambridge cxn and Oppo Sonica DAC. All the reviews I read stage the bargain priced node2 is the winner in terms of OS and value. My preamp does not have a DAC so the streamer will have to have one. Does tidal stream hires to the node or do you still need the pc browser to stream tidal hires?
Old 11-26-2017, 03:22 PM

If you access Tidal directly via the Node's app and are using its analog outputs (and hence its internal DAC) you will achieve full hi-res MQA decoding. If you are using its digital output to an external DAC then the Node only provides the first MQA unfold (MQA Core) and your DAC can then either play that directly or if able to function as an MQA renderer perform the final unfold to give you fully decoded hi-res MQA. Hope this helps, it can be confusing and hopefully my explanation didn't make it even more so!

Last edited by audio bill; 11-26-2017 at 10:12 PM.
Old 12-28-2017, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samac View Post
I have been using the Bluesound Node 2 for about two months now. It is a great streamer/dac. It is so good in my system that it is now my primary source. The BluOS is very good and it will be "Roon Ready" soon. Their customer service has been excellent.

Streamers have really taken off and I can see why. I've really enjoyed checking out the hundreds of Internet radio stations. It's also nice to have an extended variety of music available at the touch of a pad or phone.

I realize you all are hip to streamers. I wanted to give a shout out to the Node 2 for anyone looking for an affordable streamer/dac.

It's great that companies like AURALiC and Bluesound, to name a few, have produced compnents with such great sound at very affordable prices.

I am one "happy camper" and look forward to what these companies and the future of computer audio might have in store for us.

Cheers,

Scott
Hi Scott,

I too have the Node 2 and am streaming to an IDA-16 with a pair of Monitor Audio 500s.

I'm primarily streaming Tidal (Hi Fi).

I'm just unsure whether to connect via supplied RCA - letting the Bluesound DAC do the conversion and leaving the amp just to power the speakers, or... do I use the IDA-16 (external DAC) and connect with a Co-axial?

Which is the better DAC of the two and what will do the most justice to MQA?

Thanks Scott (or whoever else replies) in advance.
Old 12-29-2017, 12:17 AM

I have no experience with the IDA-16 to know whether its DAC is better than the internal DAC of the Bluesound, but can partially address your question regarding MQA playback. When using the analog audio outputs of the Bluesound Node 2 you will be getting full MQA decoding. The digital output of the Node 2 only supports MQA Core decoding (which is just the first unfold) so unless the external DAC being connected to supports MQA Rendering you will not be getting full MQA decoding. NuPrime doesn't appear to currently support MQA. That doesn't necessarily mean that you'll prefer the Bluesound DAC to that of the NuPrime, just that the NuPrime does not support MQA. If it's a superior DAC it may still outperform the Bluesound even without full MQA decoding. Wish it was simpler and I could tell you which would be best, but only you can determine that by listening to both connection schemes to determine which sounds best to you.
Old 12-29-2017, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio bill View Post
I have no experience with the IDA-16 to know whether its DAC is better than the internal DAC of the Bluesound, but can partially address your question regarding MQA playback. When using the analog audio outputs of the Bluesound Node 2 you will be getting full MQA decoding. The digital output of the Node 2 only supports MQA Core decoding (which is just the first unfold) so unless the external DAC being connected to supports MQA Rendering you will not be getting full MQA decoding. NuPrime doesn't appear to currently support MQA. That doesn't necessarily mean that you'll prefer the Bluesound DAC to that of the NuPrime, just that the NuPrime does not support MQA. If it's a superior DAC it may still outperform the Bluesound even without full MQA decoding. Wish it was simpler and I could tell you which would be best, but only you can determine that by listening to both connection schemes to determine which sounds best to you.
Thanks for the reply. I tried to determine which sounded better and found myself getting confused the longer I compared them. That said, I think I favoured the NuPrime external DAC doing the work. Does this mean though (set up this way) that I cannot control volume from my phone remotely and will need to use the IDA-16 remote for adjusting volume?
...Sorry for the noob questions
Old 01-01-2018, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain View Post
Hi Scott,

I too have the Node 2 and am streaming to an IDA-16 with a pair of Monitor Audio 500s.

I'm primarily streaming Tidal (Hi Fi).

I'm just unsure whether to connect via supplied RCA - letting the Bluesound DAC do the conversion and leaving the amp just to power the speakers, or... do I use the IDA-16 (external DAC) and connect with a Co-axial?

Which is the better DAC of the two and what will do the most justice to MQA?

Thanks Scott (or whoever else replies) in advance.
Hello Iain,

Glad to hear of another IDA-16 owner. I love mine. The DAC in the Node 2 is excellent but Iuse the DAC in the IDA-16. I have the volume control set to "fixed" on the Node 2 and then have the Node 2 coax digital out going to my IDA-16. That way you use the outstanding volume control in your IDA-16.

As audio bill said, you won't have MQA using the DAC in the IDA-16 but the dac/pre section of the IDA-16 is so good that's not a concern for me.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Scott
Old 11-17-2018, 01:25 PM

I was at a local dealer recently listening to a pair of 800D3s driven by c2600 and 1.25s. Source was Bluesound Vault, essentially a Node with a hard drive. Tidal was streaming various tracks CD vs MQA. Holy! To my ears, MQA seemed to have lifted a veil on all music. Was able to hear every single detail, instruments sounded more organic. Week after, picked up a pair of new Node 2is.
Main System: Sf Amati Tradition, B&W DB1 sub, McIntosh C2300, MC501s, MA12000, MCD500, HiFi Rose RS150B, Oppo 105, Niagara 5000, AQ Tornado/Thunder/Blizzard PCs, Robin Hood BiWire (zero+bass), Gibraltar SCs, Water ICs, Cinnamon RJ/E, Solidsteel HF-3 racks.
2nd System: Sf Cremona Auditor M, McIntosh C50, MC275(VI), MA6600, Node 2i, Oppo 95, AQ NRG-4 PCs, Robin Hood Zero SC, Cobra/Nordost Heimdall ICs.
Old 12-23-2018, 11:24 AM

Quote:
If you access Tidal directly via the Node's app and are using its analog outputs (and hence its internal DAC) you will achieve full hi-res MQA decoding. If you are using its digital output to an external DAC then the Node only provides the first MQA unfold (MQA Core) and your DAC can then either play that directly or if able to function as an MQA renderer perform the final unfold to give you fully decoded hi-res MQA. Hope this helps, it can be confusing and hopefully my explanation didn't make it even more so!
This is my first substantive post!

I have a Nuprime Evolution DAC, which claims to be full MQA via a usb output. I’m new to all this, and will replace my node 2 of six months with an innuos zen mini which has a usb output. Innuos advises I’ll have full mqa with the nuprime but only by using Roon with Tidal.

Do you have any comments or suggestions ?

I’ve enjoyed and will keep the node 2, but found its DAC a little thin at times.

Thanks
Old 12-23-2018, 03:51 PM

Samoyed - I believe you meant that the NuPrime Evolution DAC provides full MQA via its USB input. I have no personal experience with the NuPrime or Innuos, but I believe you'll have two choices in your Roon configuration regarding MQA. You can either have it provide the first unfold (also called MQA Core) if the NuPrime can then perform MQA Rendering. The other option would be to set Roon to pass through MQA files without any decoding and let the NuPrime perform full MQA decoding on its own. Not sure which would be preferable if the NuPrime can perform either function, but it should be easy enough for you to try by changing the MQA settings in Roon.

Regarding your comments about the Node, it shouldn't be surprising that you find the NuPrime Evolution DAC to outperform it since the Node is a $500 streamer with DAC included. Its internal DAC is obviously built to a price point and cannot compete with much more expensive and well engineered stand alone DACs.

Congrats on your new NuPrime Evolution DAC, glad that it's meeting your expectations!
Old 12-25-2018, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Samoyed - I believe you meant that the NuPrime Evolution DAC provides full MQA via its USB input. I have no personal experience with the NuPrime or Innuos, but I believe you'll have two choices in your Roon configuration regarding MQA. You can either have it provide the first unfold (also called MQA Core) if the NuPrime can then perform MQA Rendering. The other option would be to set Roon to pass through MQA files without any decoding and let the NuPrime perform full MQA decoding on its own. Not sure which would be preferable if the NuPrime can perform either function, but it should be easy enough for you to try by changing the MQA settings in Roon.

Regarding your comments about the Node, it shouldn't be surprising that you find the NuPrime Evolution DAC to outperform it since the Node is a $500 streamer with DAC included. Its internal DAC is obviously built to a price point and cannot compete with much more expensive and well engineered stand alone DACs.

Congrats on your new NuPrime Evolution DAC, glad that it's meeting your expectations!
Thanks for help, and yes, you are right about input.