AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Audio Research

Audio Research State of the Art Audio Reproduction

Old 11-19-2010, 06:16 PM

Thx for the feedback Daytona
Old 11-19-2010, 06:31 PM

darkstar...in terms of having enough power/current delivery to drive the Sashas, I think the HD220s should have no problem, as the HD220s output stage, given that it's SS, pretty much doubles (almost) it's output as the impedance is halved (220 wpc into an 8ohm load and 380 wpc into a 4ohm load) and although ARC's site does not specify output into a 2ohm load, I am sure it goes up again nicely. You can call ARC to verify what the HD220 puts out into 2ohms to verify that it is significantly higher than at 4ohms. The reason why this is important is because the Sashas dip down to 1.8ohms at 86Hz and just as difficult has a combination of 3ohm impedance and -43 degree phase angle (highly capacitive load) at 61 Hz, which will require the partnering amp to deliver a lot of current. What I would do is call ARC and Wilson and ask them about this combo and if they think they will be a good fit. I think the HD220 should be able to deliver the goods.

What I cannot tell you darkstar is how the HD220 sounds in general as I have never heard it. I am familiar with ARC's all tube amplifiers but this is a hybrid design (with tubes in the input/driver stages and SS in the output stage) and I have never heard it.

Is it something you can audition for yourself at an audio dealer or no?
Old 11-19-2010, 08:08 PM
Searching for the Sound!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalak View Post
darkstar...in terms of having enough power/current delivery to drive the Sashas, I think the HD220s should have no problem, as the HD220s output stage, given that it's SS, pretty much doubles (almost) it's output as the impedance is halved (220 wpc into an 8ohm load and 380 wpc into a 4ohm load) and although ARC's site does not specify output into a 2ohm load, I am sure it goes up again nicely. You can call ARC to verify what the HD220 puts out into 2ohms to verify that it is significantly higher than at 4ohms. The reason why this is important is because the Sashas dip down to 1.8ohms at 86Hz and just as difficult has a combination of 3ohm impedance and -43 degree phase angle (highly capacitive load) at 61 Hz, which will require the partnering amp to deliver a lot of current. What I would do is call ARC and Wilson and ask them about this combo and if they think they will be a good fit. I think the HD220 should be able to deliver the goods.

What I cannot tell you darkstar is how the HD220 sounds in general as I have never heard it. I am familiar with ARC's all tube amplifiers but this is a hybrid design (with tubes in the input/driver stages and SS in the output stage) and I have never heard it.

Is it something you can audition for yourself at an audio dealer or no?
Cmalak,

My apologies for the confusion. My question was for the REF 210 not the HD220 driving the Sasha's (I mistakenly said REF 220 causing the confusion).
Old 11-19-2010, 09:04 PM

Darkstar...got it. I think the REF 210s should be able to drive the Sashas as well given their rated power and overbuilt power supply. I believe another AAer - intouch1 - is driving Sashas and Maxx 3s with REF 210s (along with a REF 5 and a CD 8) to satisfactory levels. He commented on this in this thread: http://audioaficionado.org/wilson-au...h-wilsons.html

Here is his comment:
Quote:
Originally Posted by intouch1 View Post
ARC 210 monos, Reference 5 and CD-8 alternating Sasha/Maxx 3....great match and sweet sound.
I do however alternate amps and enjoy different sonic characteristics without favouring one combo over the other.

Haven't heard the ARC switching amps...maybe you want to consider them too.

Last edited by cmalak; 11-19-2010 at 09:19 PM.