AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Ayre

Ayre A new dimension of musical enjoyment

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-29-2017, 06:48 AM
Biggar Biggar is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 43
Default Upgrading from V5xe to Vx-5 Twenty

Well, my VX-5 Twenty is on order. I cannot wait to integrate it into my system. The only thing that I'm worried about is the significant break-in period. I think that I'll set up my Aurender to play music, all day, as I had off to work.

Any tips from VX-5 owners?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-29-2017, 09:41 AM
d_elm d_elm is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 21
Default

My unit, purchased July 2015, started to sound better at 70 hours but I continued the burn-in for 500 hours total.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-29-2017, 10:06 AM
ctsooner ctsooner is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Berlin, CT
Posts: 401
Default

Great buy. Congrats. Which pre are you using with it? Let it burn in for about 500 hours. It will start to sound great after the first couple of days though. Don't listen to the potential ragged top end for a few days and you'll be set, lol. It will just mellow and get better in increments for the next couple of months. Well worth it and yes, leave it on and playing all day while you are gone. I isn't a hot amp with the 20 upgrades, so you'll be fine most probably.
__________________
Ayre AX-5/Twenty,QX5,MacMini/HynesLPS,Vandersteen Quatro's
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-29-2017, 10:44 AM
will will is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 102
Default

Congrats, Biggar. I have a KX-5 Twenty on order to go with my VX-5 Twenty and have been thinking about the break-in period too and telling myself, "here we go again." Listen to your reference material to gauge where the amp is, but don't obsess over it. Actually, mostly avoid your reference music and just enjoy playing other general stuff for awhile. Just have to have patience and not get frustrated and keep thinking about the payoff at the end.
__________________


Last edited by will; 04-29-2017 at 10:46 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-29-2017, 10:58 AM
d_elm d_elm is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 21
Default

I am burning in another input on the KX-5/20 connected to a VX-5/20. This goes on 24/7 and when I do not want sound I put the VX-5/20 in mute mode so the preamp will continue the burn-in.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-30-2017, 08:41 PM
ctsooner ctsooner is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Berlin, CT
Posts: 401
Default

that's a good idea. Didn't know it worked that way.
__________________
Ayre AX-5/Twenty,QX5,MacMini/HynesLPS,Vandersteen Quatro's
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-06-2017, 08:05 AM
Biggar Biggar is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 43
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctsooner View Post
Great buy. Congrats. Which pre are you using with it? Let it burn in for about 500 hours. It will start to sound great after the first couple of days though. Don't listen to the potential ragged top end for a few days and you'll be set, lol. It will just mellow and get better in increments for the next couple of months. Well worth it and yes, leave it on and playing all day while you are gone. I isn't a hot amp with the 20 upgrades, so you'll be fine most probably.
I'm using a K-5xe pre. Not to worry - my dealer will wait for 12 to 18 months and then sell me a KX-5 - little doubt. He's like that - he won't crowd me but he will 'facilitate' the 'development' of my system.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-06-2017, 08:07 AM
Biggar Biggar is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 43
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_elm View Post
I am burning in another input on the KX-5/20 connected to a VX-5/20. This goes on 24/7 and when I do not want sound I put the VX-5/20 in mute mode so the preamp will continue the burn-in.
Very good idea. I listened to a burned in VX-5 at my dealers shop. He A/B played a Vx-5 and a V-5xe - wow, I was truly impressed with the difference and the refinement in sound. He played through the big Harbeths (not my thing) but even then, wow, pianos (my big thing) were incredibly real. The low end in rock and jazz was bigger and tighter through the VX-5. I'm very excited and can't wait to hook this amp up to my Revel Salon 2s.

Last edited by Biggar; 05-06-2017 at 08:16 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-06-2017, 09:49 PM
dbphd dbphd is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Montecito, CA
Posts: 186
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggar View Post
I'm using a K-5xe pre. Not to worry - my dealer will wait for 12 to 18 months and then sell me a KX-5 - little doubt. He's like that - he won't crowd me but he will 'facilitate' the 'development' of my system.
I'm using a K-5xeMP with a VX-5 Twenty, but I'd like to find a used KX-5 Twenty. So far none seem to be available.

db
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-07-2017, 03:12 AM
Bar81 Bar81 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 248
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbphd View Post
I'm using a K-5xeMP with a VX-5 Twenty, but I'd like to find a used KX-5 Twenty. So far none seem to be available.

db
For very good reason. It's a really hard to beat performance/value proposition so I can't imagine a lot of people looking to switch out from a KX-5 Twenty.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Audioaficionado.org tested by Norton Internet Security

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:21 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
ęCopyright 2009-2019 AudioAficionado.org.Privately owned, All Rights Reserved.
Audio Aficionado Sponsors
AudioAficionado Subscriber
AudioAficionado Subscriber
Inspire By Dennis Had
Inspire By Dennis Had
Harmonic Resolution Systems
Harmonic Resolution Systems
Wyred4Sound
Wyred4Sound
Dragonfire Acoustics
Dragonfire Acoustics
GIK Acoustics
GIK Acoustics
Esoteric
Esoteric
AC Infinity
AC Infinity
JL Audio
JL Audio
Add Powr
Add Powr
Legend Audio & Video
Legend Audio & Video
Audio by E
Audio by E
Canton
Canton
Bryston
Bryston
WireWorld Cables
WireWorld Cables
Stillpoints
Stillpoints
Bricasti Design
Bricasti Design
Furutech
Furutech
Shunyata Research
Shunyata Research
Accuphase
Accuphase