AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Acoustical Treatments

Acoustical Treatments Because the room matters

Old 08-25-2018, 02:14 AM

Default DIY Room Treatment

Hi all, with my new PS Audio system and JL subs up and running and my new cabinet nearly complete, I’m thinking about building some room treatments.

My basement room is a very odd shape, but it works pretty well with my system. I’m considering making Skyline diffusers for the side walls and putting these bass traps in the corners behind the system: https://www.amazon.com/Corner-Bass-T.../dp/B004QM420C.

Any feedback or recommendations?

Thanks!

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg E9BB5F3E-ED2F-4659-84E6-8E95D0AACE84.jpeg (58.4 KB, 254 views)

Last edited by jdandy; 08-25-2018 at 03:36 PM. Reason: enlarge attachment
Old 08-25-2018, 06:06 AM

I originally was going to build my own, but honestly Vicoustic and other similar manufactures make it so easy and at a fairly reasonable price. Rather focus on the placement/install than producing the product.
Wilson Audio Alexia + Mezzo | Dan D'Agostino Momentum PRE & S250 | Esoteric P02x & D02x | Torus AVR2-16 | Marantz AV8805 | Panasonic UB9000 | Bryston 7B3 & 9BSST2 | ScreenTechnics 125" 2.37 Screen | JVC X7900 | Krix A20 (4) | JL Audio F113 (2)
Old 08-25-2018, 09:15 AM

Not sure that those Bass Traps will do a whole lot in the Bass region, but they will be useful for killing corner flutter and it may be good to put them floor to ceiling in all three "corners" in your room. Always a good idea to treat the primary and secondary reflection points on your side walls ceiling and floor with some quality absorption (check out the art based absorbers at acoustimac :-)) . Then also treat the primary reflection points behind the speakers with diffusion (the skylines are good for this purpose). Those things alone will make a BIG difference in your listening experience. Then you can fine tune the bass region using membrane based bass traps, but you'll need some good measurements to select the right frequency tuning and placement. I also like to use "flags" to stop additional high frequency bouncing along ceiling / wall interfaces. Those can be made cheaply using small high density panels from Burton Acoustix. Just cut them in half (diagonally) and attach to the ceiling wall interface (perpendicular to the wall) every 2-3 feet using those 3M adhesive strips that can be removed without damaging the wall or paint. Surprisingly, I've also found the Burton Acoustix panels (only about 0.4 inches thick) to be very useful for primary and secondary reflection points. Not sure how these thin panels work, but they really do - inexpensive too!
Old 08-25-2018, 11:44 AM

Great feedback! Thanks.

Absorption versus diffusion has always been confusing to me, this helps clarify -absorption on the side walls and (maybe) ceiling; diffusion on the back wall. It’s a dedicated (limited WAF) listening space, so I have full flexibility to put up what I need without a lot of decor concerns. I am a pretty skilled woodworker, but a terrible engineer, so I can build it, but I’m lost when it comes to nailing down measurements and trying to tune to specific frequencies. So I guess I’m looking for more generic best practices to tweak things up a bit without spending a lot of money (I still need a good music server!) This type of advice is perfect.

The room actually sounds pretty good and the bass is excellent -2 f112 v2s with the new ARO absolutely blow away my old single f113 v1. So I’m just looking to fine tune.

Thanks for the feedback!
Old 08-25-2018, 12:06 PM

If you want to build your own panels, you can make wood frames to stretch fabric over and put 2" - 4" rock wool insulation under the fabric. Gik and Acoustimac make some relatively inexpensive ones that can be quite attractive if you get the artwork versions. You will be SURPRISED!! by how much even a little well placed absorption and diffusion will improve clarity and soundstage :-) have fun!!!
Old 08-25-2018, 12:22 PM

Everyone's room is different... I have a mixture of GIK and some panels I made. I like what diffusion on the GIK panels added (especially when I surrounded my TV with some -- that last top panel made a difference believe it or not). I'm interested in perhaps building a screen of the panels with diffusion that covers the glass of the TV when listening to music with some sort of lift, but that gets complicated and probably tacky. Dan's report on his art panel is very interesting.

I wonder if I went too far after the first reflection point and base traps. Kept adding to fix deadness. Probably why I like the diffusion.

I'm past decorative taste with all the treatment-- especially building my own panels at first reflection point and overhead (I like rugs so did the attached pretty easily with some damaged/clearance rugs). This is my main den/kitchen room. I'm lucky enough to live with an understanding dog (the treatment will re-enforce that status, which is fine at my age -- priorities).

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4345.jpg (89.3 KB, 269 views)

Last edited by jdandy; 08-25-2018 at 03:41 PM. Reason: enlarge photo
Old 08-25-2018, 06:12 PM

I’ve been thinking about how I’m going to mount the TV and I like the idea of diffuser “shutters” in front of the TV that can swing or slide closed in front of the TV. That could be really cool. Only concern would be vibrations from panels that would not be fixed to the wall. Hmmmm...
Old 08-25-2018, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubla36 View Post
Everyone's room is different... I have a mixture of GIK and some panels I made. I like what diffusion on the GIK panels added (especially when I surrounded my TV with some -- that last top panel made a difference believe it or not). I'm interested in perhaps building a screen of the panels with diffusion that covers the glass of the TV when listening to music with some sort of lift, but that gets complicated and probably tacky. Dan's report on his art panel is very interesting.

I wonder if I went too far after the first reflection point and base traps. Kept adding to fix deadness. Probably why I like the diffusion.

I'm past decorative taste with all the treatment-- especially building my own panels at first reflection point and overhead (I like rugs so did the attached pretty easily with some damaged/clearance rugs). This is my main den/kitchen room. I'm lucky enough to live with an understanding dog (the treatment will re-enforce that status, which is fine at my age -- priorities).

IMG_7771.jpgIMG_7772.jpgIMG_7773.jpgIMG_7777.jpgIMG_7778.jpgIMG_7776.jpg

My current room treatments
Old 08-25-2018, 11:48 PM

Default DIY Room Treatment

Akitared, Gotham diffusers, nice. I’ve been curious about those. Have you noticed much compared with the impression/alphas series?

Last edited by kubla36; 08-26-2018 at 01:13 AM.
Old 08-26-2018, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubla36 View Post
Akitared, Gotham diffusers, nice. I’ve been curious about those. Have you noticed much compared with the impression/alphas Sirius?

Only put them up a few days ago, they are substantial in weight and size. I feel as though the soundstage has increased in breadth and depth along with height, the Alpha series is also new, they certainly feel as though there is more air around the entire room.