AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > MBL, dCS, Goldmund, Gryphon etc

MBL, dCS, Goldmund, Gryphon etc Ultra High End Equipment

Old 04-11-2009, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSCC View Post
Fwah ... become expert on the Acapella because I own the almost ENTRY level? You are really putting me on a pedestal Serge! I have only a humble system as compared to all I have seen from the pics posted!

I am now listening to them using Wavacs ... another "lesser known" TUBE amps. SET for that matter BUT not the flea watts type! 150 per channel!

Serge, I think I am definitely going to be in trouble soon! The Wavacs build and looks are FIRST class and the sound? Initial impression tells me they are on another level! If the past tube encounters tells me about their forte in midrange and highs (especially the MC2000s), the Wavac tells me I have NOT heard anything yet!

And for the first time, there is GRIP, CONTROL and POWER in the low frequencies and coming from SET tubes? I could not believe my ears! Its like "WOW at first encounter"!

I am really going to be in trouble!!!

By the way, "ALL watts are SUPPOSED to be equal, BUT apparently, SOME are MORE EQUAL than others"!

Cheers!
Jerry. You're in the poo if you have Wavacs at home!!!! They are very very very nice. And you have the perfect speakers for them as well!

howie
Old 04-11-2009, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howiebrou View Post
Jerry. You're in the poo if you have Wavacs at home!!!! They are very very very nice. And you have the perfect speakers for them as well!

howie
Bro, I was alive and well UNTIL this thing call "no harm trying" comes along. And I smell a rat when someone is so nice to loan me $100k or more of NEW amps (box sealed and open in my presence) and say "keep it for a month, you can help do the run/burn-in!"

Of course, I am in the poo, almost chin high AFTER spending 6 hours with them! The first 20 minutes, I laughed at them, kinda like the football WAGS, but right into an hour, I was DAZED! Everything took on a different level!

The body - carved solid aluminum, gold color. The tubes, never seen before, HUGE (with a single KT88 as driver or something like that apart from another smaller tube in front). When lights goes out, they (2 of them, monos) glow beautifully! If MC2000 is nice, I dont really know the adjective to describe except saying to myself - why did I do this in the first place? And I am not even talking about the way they do music with the Acapellas!

The only thing now is to enjoy then put myself into "cold turkey" for 2 weeks before resuming my hifi with the CURRENT gears! Hopefully, the cooling off period will wean off any memory of these Wavacs. IF I have the money, I would have keep them right away!
SACD/DAC: Luxman D-10x
Server: Roon Nucleus+ 8TB SSD + Plixir Elite LPS
Bluray: ModWright Oppo UDP205
Amps: Air Tight ATC-5/ATM300R/ATH-3
Speakers: Avantgarde Uno XD Piano Black/Stealth Grey
Cables & Interconnects: Audience Au24 SX Series
Power Conditioner: Audience aR6 OX
Rack & Amp Stands: Audio-Philar
Old 04-11-2009, 08:31 AM

Jerry,
Old 04-11-2009, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Bro, I was alive and well UNTIL this thing call "no harm trying" comes along. And I smell a rat when someone is so nice to loan me $100k or more of NEW amps (box sealed and open in my presence) and say "keep it for a month, you can help do the run/burn-in!"

Of course, I am in the poo, almost chin high AFTER spending 6 hours with them! The first 20 minutes, I laughed at them, kinda like the football WAGS, but right into an hour, I was DAZED! Everything took on a different level!

The body - carved solid aluminum, gold color. The tubes, never seen before, HUGE (with a single KT88 as driver or something like that apart from another smaller tube in front). When lights goes out, they (2 of them, monos) glow beautifully! If MC2000 is nice, I dont really know the adjective to describe except saying to myself - why did I do this in the first place? And I am not even talking about the way they do music with the Acapellas!

The only thing now is to enjoy then put myself into "cold turkey" for 2 weeks before resuming my hifi with the CURRENT gears! Hopefully, the cooling off period will wean off any memory of these Wavacs. IF I have the money, I would have keep them right away!
Jerry, there was no doubt in my mind that SET amps and your speakers were going to be a match made in heaven. That is the type of synergy that can make a man do foolish things like sell a kidney or their kids on the black market. Well, ok, maybe not that foolish...

On a more serious note, I was hoping you would listen to me and try some high end tubes with your speakers. I hate to be the bearer of bad news my friend, it will only get better as the hours go by....

Now, don't think about what you need to do or how you are going to get there just yet. When there is a will, there is a way. I would suggest you get your wife involved, have her sit down, listen and see if she agrees that although this is a serious investment into your hobby and passion, this is what it takes to bring out the very best out of your system. If together, you can share the passion of such beautiful musical reproduction, it will make it that much easier to decide as a family how to budget for this eventual upgrade. Figure out the trade value of other gear you would be willing to part with, work hard with your dealer (this caliber gear doesn't exactly fly off the shelves!) and see how you can bridge the gap to what will ultimately be your "audio nirvana" and your own piece of heaven while still walking the earth!

Good luck Jerry and happy listening!
Old 04-11-2009, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
I would suggest you get your wife involved, have her sit down, listen and see if she agrees that although this is a serious investment into your hobby and passion, this is what it takes to bring out the very best out of your system. If together, you can share the passion of such beautiful musical reproduction, it will make it that much easier to decide as a family how to budget for this eventual upgrade. Figure out the trade value of other gear you would be willing to part with, work hard with your dealer (this caliber gear doesn't exactly fly off the shelves!) and see how you can bridge the gap to what will ultimately be your "audio nirvana" and your own piece of heaven while still walking the earth!

Good luck Jerry and happy listening!
I could see that happening if Jerry hadn't tried the same stunt multiple times in the last year!

Come to think of it, go ahead Jerry. After your head is unceremoniously removed from your shoulders I will be over to pick up the wavacs
Old 04-11-2009, 10:23 PM

a] 2uberoller, will post pics in due time.

b] Serge, thanks for the advise. Indeed they are not going to fly off the shelf and thats why he is so 'kind" to let me "try" for a month cause by then, he's hoping I will be so deeply addicted, its difficult to get out. He is definitely working on (not with) me. Knows me too well I suppose after all these years.

As for discussing with my wife, its not the periodically $10k to $20k I am smoking to get her to approve. Its $100k and even trading off the pair of MC501's, I am still left with a substantial gap! If I can ever pull that off, probably I should rename myself "Jerry Criss Angel Seh".

No, you are NOT a bearer of bad news, but someone having the knowledge on what are better gears for better sound, more importantly knowing how to match them (and I am amaze you have not even heard the Acapellas". On hindsight, I should have PM you before making the plunge for the Acapellas cause I would know what to expect to come! Oh well ....

c] Who knows me better than my Bro Howie! Indeed he knows its not even an uphill task BUT more like "Mission Impossible 4"! Seriously, I dont know how to not have the guts to open my mouth for this kind of money, given my past 2 years' record!

Indeed you can have my MC501's when my ears are wrung off my face! Wavacs is unlikely cause I dont think I know how to begin with an acceptable opening statement. I am really working on that while savoring the magic they weave with the High Violons!

In fact, since midnight just completed another 6 hours of serious listening, with 2 friends and the dealer. He keeps grinning but never said a word, while my friends were like "mesmerised" judging from the looks of their face. In fact, one keep talking to the dealer.

My wife, after serving the drinks asked, "these things belong to one of your friends?" I just said "Yes! and he's taking them soon. He's just letting me have some fun". "How much are they?" and all I can hear was myself muttering " I am not that interested yet, they are so-so only" and walked away back to the group while the SACD Brothers In Arms played on.

I will just have to keep working on the plans to see how I could acquire them IF I cant pull myself off their "lure"! Meanwhile, just enjoy for the next 27 days!

Last edited by JSCC; 04-11-2009 at 10:34 PM.
Old 04-11-2009, 10:26 PM

Jerry, I feel for you my friend. I will pray for your dream to come true. Enjoy your time with those special amps.

Last edited by PHC1; 04-11-2009 at 10:30 PM.
Old 04-11-2009, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2uberoller View Post
Jerry,
Hi 2uberoller, I am pretty bad at taking GOOD pictures, so managed to "borrow" some pics of the same amp to share. The setting up process is EXACTLY the same. Not an easy task too! Will share the "real" pics when I am done. Meanwhile, hope you like these.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Driver Tube 1.jpg (12.4 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Driver Tube 2.jpg (11.1 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg main Tube.jpg (19.9 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg The Chassis.jpg (19.5 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg The Cover.jpg (19.1 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Set Up One Channel.jpg (19.9 KB, 26 views)
Old 04-12-2009, 12:00 AM

Quote:
a]

c] Who knows me better than my Bro Howie! Indeed he knows its not even an uphill task BUT more like "Mission Impossible 4"! Seriously, I dont know how to not have the guts to open my mouth for this kind of money, given my past 2 years' record!
I am happy to perform the opening line for you provide you provide me with full riot protection armour
Old 04-12-2009, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Hi 2uberoller, I am pretty bad at taking GOOD pictures, so managed to "borrow" some pics of the same amp to share. The setting up process is EXACTLY the same. Not an easy task too! Will share the "real" pics when I am done. Meanwhile, hope you like these.
Fantastic Jerry! So the output 833 tube is driven by a KT88 through a transformer. I wonder if those 833 tubes are hard to get?

Last edited by PHC1; 04-12-2009 at 12:06 AM.