AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Audio Research

Audio Research State of the Art Audio Reproduction

Old 11-11-2011, 12:37 PM

The reason is that $45,000 is already out of reach, long time saving required
So $5x,xxx is even more out of reach.

Ref 750 will also sure make me broke at retubing times.
Old 11-11-2011, 12:42 PM

Personally, I wish they will return to the classic shape of Ref600 rather than the
welding machine look of Ref 610T. Oh but that will have trouble with my Finite Elemente
amp stands for sure, and Ref 250's power meter may be too small to fit on Ref 750's larger front panel.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:38 PM

Philip, my reply to toga was meant in a light hearted manner and I am confident he will make his decision according to what amplifier best suits his needs and budget.

Btw, a friend traded in his ref 610 for a ref 250 and prefers what he claims is a sweeter, more refined sound thru his mighty Wilson x2. But in the area of bass slam and sheer musical authority, he claims the 610 is king. What is interesting is the local dealer installed new kt 120 tubes to this 610 and when broken in, we will have a chance to compare it to a stock 6550 based 610.

Be that as it may, in our present day reality of 4 ohm speaker loads, we may reasonably conclude that the Momentum are actually 600w mono blocs, or even 1200w amps into lower impedances.

Last edited by Dafos; 11-11-2011 at 10:02 PM. Reason: Wrong grammar
Old 11-12-2011, 02:16 PM

Curious, why in the past they can make 300 watt middle weight Reference power amp, but now power is reduced to 210-250 for late models of middle weight Reference amps. I miss Ref 300 of the past. 300 watt is just right, sufficient power while maintain reasonable practicality. >600 watt on tube amp and practicality is greatly compromised.

Dafos, I understand your point, don't worry.
Old 11-12-2011, 03:01 PM

I may be wrong but the reason is probably to save on production cost. The ref 150 and 250 actually share the same chassis. If they built a 300w amp, it probably would not fit in the 150/250 chassis so ARC would incur additional cost for having to design and order a different size chassis from the supplier. Notice the LS 17, 27, PH 6, 8 share the same chassis. Same with the ref anniversary, ref 5 and the ref phono.
Old 11-13-2011, 01:22 AM
Audio Snoopster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dafos View Post
Philip, my reply to toga was meant in a light hearted manner and I am confident he will make his decision according to what amplifier best suits his needs and budget.

Btw, a friend traded in his ref 610 for a ref 250 and prefers what he claims is a sweeter, more refined sound thru his mighty Wilson x2. But in the area of bass slam and sheer musical authority, he claims the 610 is king. What is interesting is the local dealer installed new kt 120 tubes to this 610 and when broken in, we will have a chance to compare it to a stock 6550 based 610.

Be that as it may, in our present day reality of 4 ohm speaker loads, we may reasonably conclude that the Momentum are actually 600w mono blocs, or even 1200w amps into lower impedances.
Dafos,

No pun intended on my part, just thought I'ed add a general comment to the discussion.

Anyway, we're going to have to 'egg on' TOGA to SAVE faster!

Actually, just found out that 'amati' over on the thread (http://www.audioaficionado.org/wilso...tml#post225986) sold one of his cars so he could order the D.D. Momentums!!

Now that's a first! Have to really admire 'amati's' dogged determination to get the D.D. Momentums ASAP

'amati' reported back that the D.D. Momentums effortlessly drove his Sonus Faber Amati Futura's which tend to like a bit more power (http://www.audioaficionado.org/sonus...tml#post151925). The same could be said when I demo'ed the D.D. Momentums with the Wilson Sasha W/P's, despite its well-publicized low impedance dip of 1.8 Ohms minimum at 92Hz. Both speakers having a nominal impedance of 4 ohms.

I think ARC gear is great. I understand that other than the Ayre KX-R (which I have), a lot of folks have also paired the ARC 40th Anniversary Ed. Ref. preamp with the D.D. Momentums, and many have A/B'ed the 2 preamps together with the D.D. Momentums, and quite a few have said that the ARC edges out the Ayre!

Of course, Dan D'Agostino will be launching his own "super analogue" preamp shortly (I think before the year end), so it will be interesting to see how that measures up to the ARC and Ayre preamps.

Philip
Old 11-13-2011, 04:44 AM

Philip, I know someone who used his previous generation BMW m5 as downpayment for a Wilson Alexandria x2mk2!
Old 11-13-2011, 06:33 AM
Audio Snoopster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dafos View Post
Philip, I know someone who used his previous generation BMW m5 as downpayment for a Wilson Alexandria x2mk2!
Dafos,

Well, well, I guess I stand corrected on that one! That just goes to show you what lengths audiophiles are willing to go to achieve their respective quest for audio nirvana!

No wonder many outside our domain view audiophile hobbyists as having a couple of screws loose! :screwy:

Philip
Old 11-13-2011, 08:14 AM

Well I guess none of us can argue with that, just depends on the degree the screws have loosened!
Old 11-13-2011, 11:37 AM

Hi,
I am wholeheartedly believe Ref250 will be wonderful with Ref40/Sophia3 set up. But greatly concern when time to move Salon2 in. I've Levinson 436, Pass X350.5, Mc MC402
none of them make Salon2 sing like Moon W7M do. I keep asking myself that why do I have to keep two sets of speakers. But I just like Salon2 a lot, so just can't sell them.
Considering Ref750, after reading Robert Harley review the REF600MKII back in 90's.
I'm scared of such big power tube amp. I'm in a hot climate country, and tubes are expensive.
I just want new amps that have warmer tone than Moon. but just as fast and powerful. PHC1 recommended LAMM class A Hybrid, but it's not in stock. So if Momentum sound good and have power that I need, then it has to be it. But if REF250 proved that it has enough punch for Salon2, then I will have to settle with it. Jeff Rowland 725 Mono were on my radar too, but due to extreme low input impedance which clearly incompatible with REF 40, must let it go.
Hmm.. talking about selling a car. I guess part of funding for My Moon P8+ W7M two years ago was from selling My Impreza Sti too. This time funding will be from selling this
mighty powerful Moon W7M.
Let's see how many tubes are there in Ref750 and how much will new big ARC REF amps cost.

Last edited by TOGA; 11-13-2011 at 01:33 PM.