AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Bryston Audio

Bryston Audio Unlimited, Unprecedented, Unequalled

Old 03-09-2018, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonhawk View Post
No problem. If I don't like MQA, which I'll be able to check out when my Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ arrives, I'll consider it--though the SP3 has mighty fine DACs already.

The reason for the Brooklyn is threefold: To try a separate DAC, to have MQA, and for a good headphone AMP. If it's not what I want in my main system, I can always keep it on my desktop for the headphones.
I finally digested Kal's review, and as usual, it was excellent. He stated MQA was sounded great, but he got a different sound from different compositions and the sound filter requirement varied from composition to composition. He also stated whatever benefits MQA has is dwarfed by the benefits of EQ. He thought DSD and DXD sounded more consistent. Overall he felt MQA was not needed. I have never been mislead listening to Kal's advice so I definitely believe him and trust him to save me the time and energy experimenting with MQA. Plus, I cannot buy into a format that will require me to repurchase thousands of CDs and SACD.
Old 03-09-2018, 10:13 PM

The whole point of what I'm saying is for streaming. I (we all) know how happy you are with your thousands of CDs, etc. But you don't have to repurchase them. (Nor should you). and I'm happy that you're happy. I'm not rying to convince you that what I want to do is better.

In my case, I just want to stream CD quality or HI REZ on a slow internet connection. MQA is the only way to do that. Not everything is available in MQA, but I want to check it out. Streaming costs me $20 a month for a nearly unlimited music library, some of it MQA, some not.

I don't know why you're so dead set against me doing what I want, but whatever.

Last edited by moonhawk; 03-09-2018 at 10:17 PM.
Old 03-09-2018, 10:33 PM

Quote:
The whole point of what I'm saying is for streaming. I (we all) know how happy you are with your thousands of CDs, etc. But you don't have to repurchase them. (Nor should you). and I'm happy that you're happy. I'm not rying to convince you that what I want to do is better.

In my case, I just want to stream CD quality or HI REZ on a slow internet connection. MQA is the only way to do that. Not everything is available in MQA, but I want to check it out. Streaming costs me $20 a month for a nearly unlimited music library, some of it MQA, some not.

I don't know why you're so dead set against me doing what I want, but whatever.
I got about half of my CDs from a radio station where I was best friends of the program director. The other half I purchased mostly from Amazon, and I still purchase them almost weekly. Its an addiction. And since I purchased the BDP-2, when the CDs arrive, I import the music and store the CD. I like the way digital files sound on the BDP-2 imported from the original CD. My reason for not wanting you to embrace MQA are selfish in that it reminds me of Divx backed by Circuit City to charge for DVD playback; creating a pseudo monopoly. In any event, I understand why you want MQA to work; to access thousands of albums for a reasonable price which makes sense to me.
Old 03-11-2018, 12:45 PM

Dave, I forgot to mentioned that Stereophile rated the Mytec Brookyn A, but the Bryston BDA3 A+. This should mean something, MQA or not.
Old 03-11-2018, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post
Dave, I forgot to mentioned that Stereophile rated the Mytec Brookyn A, but the Bryston BDA3 A+. This should mean something, MQA or not.
Sure. It's not Mytek's top of the line, and it does more than just a DAC. It's a headphone amp. BTW, is that the Brooklyn DAC, or the new DAC+, the one Kal reviewed. How does the BDA3 compare with the SP3 DACs?

I have not gotten my April Stereophile yet. Do you get the printed, or the digital edition? I'm really looking forward to Kal's review.

I may not keep the headphones I've ordered, in which case I won't need the Mytek, and save myself a bunch of cash, on both. I'm getting all new speakers and subs. I really prefer listening to speakers, even with good headphones, but I usually have to turn them down very low because of my wife.
Old 03-12-2018, 09:03 AM

I am now comparing the Mytec Brooklyn + with the Benchmark DAC3 HGC. It is still early days, so I haven't yet formed an opinion, but they are very close sonically. I too have limited Internet bandwidth so MQA is of great interest to me. It sounds excellent fully decoded through the Brooklyn.
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 03-12-2018, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
I am now comparing the Mytec Brooklyn + with the Benchmark DAC3 HGC. It is still early days, so I haven't yet formed an opinion, but they are very close sonically. I too have limited Internet bandwidth so MQA is of great interest to me. It sounds excellent fully decoded through the Brooklyn.
Thanks for that!
Old 03-12-2018, 09:44 AM

Thumbs down

Quote:
Sure. It's not Mytek's top of the line, and it does more than just a DAC. It's a headphone amp. BTW, is that the Brooklyn DAC, or the new DAC+, the one Kal reviewed. How does the BDA3 compare with the SP3 DACs?

I have not gotten my April Stereophile yet. Do you get the printed, or the digital edition? I'm really looking forward to Kal's review.

I may not keep the headphones I've ordered, in which case I won't need the Mytek, and save myself a bunch of cash, on both. I'm getting all new speakers and subs. I really prefer listening to speakers, even with good headphones, but I usually have to turn them down very low because of my wife.
Kal reviewed the +. The BDA3 has a D/A converter that is significantly better sounding than than the SP3. Incidentally, I got the printed edition. You definitely need to read Kal's review before you pull the trigger. As far as your wife, keep her happy because happy wife happy life.
Old 03-12-2018, 10:09 AM

I've already ordered the Mytek, but i don't have to keep it. I hope my April issue arrives today. Thinking of putting that whole decision off until I decide on new speakers.
Old 03-12-2018, 05:36 PM

Quote:
I've already ordered the Mytek, but i don't have to keep it. I hope my April issue arrives today. Thinking of putting that whole decision off until I decide on new speakers.
What speakers are you considering? And on the Mytec, maybe it is trying to do too much; too much like a swiss army knife, D/A converter, headphone pre-amp and MQA. I don't know.