AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shunyata Research

Shunyata Research Designing Silent Systems for recording, film and music

Old 06-21-2015, 01:53 PM

Default Burn in Time Req. for an UPGRADED Triton V2

Caelin,

I should be getting my upgraded Triton back on Wednesday. What is your recommendation regarding burn in (time, methodology, etc.) for an upgraded version since the Triton V1 was well burned in?

BTW ... After I disconnected the Triton and the Typhons from my system, I felt like the musicians had left the room, and I was stuck listening to canned music through the house PA system! I can't wait to receive my V2

Also, kudos to your customer service folks ... they have been wonderful to work with and truly make sure that NOTHING falls through the cracks.

Dave
Old 06-21-2015, 06:15 PM

Default Upgrading your Triton

Dave,

I would be very interested in your experiences with the Triton V2, both burn-in time and the change (improvement) in sound vs. the Triton V1.

I haven't yet decided whether to do the upgrade v. buying the V2 outright and selling my V1 Triton. I'm curious, what made you decide to go the upgrade route? Obviously cost, expected improvement with the grounding terminals are key considerations.

Thanks in advance for any advice and experiences you can share.

Wilson
Old 06-21-2015, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedran View Post
Caelin, I should be getting my upgraded Triton back on Wednesday. What is your recommendation regarding burn in (time, methodology, etc.) for an upgraded version since the Triton V1 was well burned in? BTW ... After I disconnected the Triton and the Typhons from my system, I felt like the musicians had left the room, and I was stuck listening to canned music through the house PA system! I can't wait to receive my V2 Also, kudos to your customer service folks ... they have been wonderful to work with and truly make sure that NOTHING falls through the cracks. Dave
23 days of 24/7 current draw through a fan or hi-intensity lamp. Rotate the plug into a different outlet everyday to be sure to get some burn in at each outlet. You can improve the burn in process if you have multiple devices to plug into the Triton.

Yes our goal is to turn each upgrade around in less than 2 days not counting shipping. Thanks for compliment - we really work on it consciously. And don't forget that your Triton v2 has a lifetime warranty!

Let us know how it performs for you.
Old 06-22-2015, 11:18 PM

23 days is quite a bit and really negates any benefit of an in home trial(certainly debateable), how come no in house breakin, especially with the lifetime warrantee?
Old 06-23-2015, 01:07 AM

A complete factory burn-in would add unnecessary cost IMHO. You will get a clear hint of the product during the first week IMHO. The rest of the burn-in ride is for the permanent owner.
Old 06-23-2015, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleinbje View Post
23 days is quite a bit and really negates any benefit of an in home trial(certainly debateable), how come no in house breakin, especially with the lifetime warrantee?
First: He is not doing a trial to decide whether to purchase a Triton. He already owns a Triton v1 that had been sent in for an upgrade to v2 status.

Second: We have a goal of turning a customer's upgrade around in less than 2-days, not counting shipping time. Burning the unit in would mean that the customer's system would be out of commission for a ridiculous amount of time.

He wanted to know how long of a burn-in is required to compare to a well burned-in v1 Triton.

Quote:
I should be getting my upgraded Triton back on Wednesday. What is your recommendation regarding burn in (time, methodology, etc.) for an upgraded version since the Triton V1 was well burned in?
The amount of time that I gave him is the correct answer. However, a Triton will sound just fine after a couple of days of burn-in. When you have a product with the amount of copper and the wire size that is the Triton - it takes time fully achieve burn-in.
Old 10-20-2015, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lem321 View Post
Dave,

I would be very interested in your experiences with the Triton V2, both burn-in time and the change (improvement) in sound vs. the Triton V1.

I haven't yet decided whether to do the upgrade v. buying the V2 outright and selling my V1 Triton. I'm curious, what made you decide to go the upgrade route? Obviously cost, expected improvement with the grounding terminals are key considerations.

Thanks in advance for any advice and experiences you can share.

Wilson
Wilson ... sorry it took me so long to respond,

I am thrilled by the improvement that Triton upgrade to V2 has made to my system. Before I even listened for the first time, I started with 200 hours of initial burn-in with a freezer, 2 flourescent light fixtures, and a fan connected to sockets 1-4. (~24 hours on the first four sockets, and then moving the loads to sockets 2-5, etc. so that all sockets would be equally burned in). I then re-installed the V2 into my system. The system sounded improved even at this point. But it just kept getting better even after 500 hours. I remember listening to a very familiar recording 1-2 months later and being completely surprised that I was hearing details I'd never heard before.

I thought the V1 was a very significant improvement, but the V2 is superior in many different ways. I can't believe how much more "audio dirt" has been excavated from the sound stage ... the bass is tighter (like getting a lower QTS for a speaker system) ... metal percussion (cymbals, triangle, etc.) are stunningly real objects in space no matter how complex or loud the musical passage ... wonderful acoustic piano ... most everything sounds more life like, although nothing including the V2 still can't help some recordings. I also agree with those folks that have commented that your perspective with V2 tends to move you back a few rows into the audience instead of being about where the orchestra conductor would stand. The V2 is a gift that keeps on giving. How could we have ever listened to recordings without it!

Dave
Old 10-23-2015, 03:21 PM

Default Triton V2 experiences

Hey Dave,

Thanks for sharing your experience with the Triton V2 upgrade. I'm still sitting on the fence regarding buying a new Triton V2 vs. doing a factory upgrade of my current unit. I've read your email on another thread about capturing any beneficial effects from grounding using a 3rd party device. I think the benefit (of grounding) would probably be relatively small in comparison to the major improvement with the V1 to V2 upgrade. I was told that if one has just one dedicated line, the grounding effect would be less than if one had two or more dedicated lines. Grant's response to your question reinforces the notion that any change with grounding is highly system-dependent. Judging from others on AA who've weighed in, the improvement in the use of the V2 grounding terminals seems modest at best.

Again, thanks for your thoughts.
Wilson

Last edited by lem321; 11-06-2015 at 02:13 PM.
Old 10-24-2015, 07:03 PM

Wilson,

I completely agree that the CGS will be a relatively minor improvement compared to the upgrade to V2. There was one person whose name escapes me that found that the grounding did make a difference. So if the SR grounding block would accomplish this as an add-on and at a reasonable price, it was worth trying.

Dave.

BTW ... I have two dedicated lines ... one for my power amp, and the second one for the Triton V2 which powers all of the front-end components other than the turntable (which is hooked up to a line that powers all of the regular outlets in the room).

Dave