AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Headphones, Personal Listening Gear

Headphones, Personal Listening Gear Personal Listening at its Best

Old 12-02-2017, 10:57 PM
♫ Now playing... ♫

Serge,
That is a very nice looking audio component. I really like it. Thanks for the detailed writeup and initial listening impressions. Look forward to reading more as you get more time with it.

McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MX150, MC601 (2), MCD1100, MR88, MPC1500, MCLK12. Tannoy Canterbury GR, Tannoy GR SuperTweeter. JL Audio f113 (2). Wireworld Silver & Platinum. Duelund DCA20, DCA16, DCA12. Transparent Reference. Synology. Shunyata Denali. APC S15BLK. ASC. GIK Acoustics.
Old 12-02-2017, 10:58 PM
It's not just the music!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweet View Post
Serge,
That is a very nice looking audio component. I really like it. Thanks for the detailed writeup and initial listening impressions. Look forward to reading more as you get more time with it.
Thanks Terry, I will follow up on it as I get more listening in.

Sennheiser HD600, HD650, MrSpeakers Aeon Flow, Focal Elear, Focal Utopia. Violectric V281, Bryston BHA-1, Schiit Asgard 2, Schiit Valhalla 2, Schiit Gungnir Multibit DAC.
Old 12-03-2017, 10:58 AM

That's a Teutonic Tour de Force! Congrats Serge.
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation
SurfacePro 3, JRiver, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 12-03-2017, 11:10 AM
It's not just the music!

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
That's a Teutonic Tour de Force! Congrats Serge.
Thanks Tom!
Like I said earlier in the thread, my quest for solid state headphone amp seems to be over.

Sennheiser HD600, HD650, MrSpeakers Aeon Flow, Focal Elear, Focal Utopia. Violectric V281, Bryston BHA-1, Schiit Asgard 2, Schiit Valhalla 2, Schiit Gungnir Multibit DAC.
Old 12-03-2017, 11:35 AM

Congratulations Serge, that looks like a great amp. The volume control and the gain control options make it look especially interesting.
Main system: Linn Klimax Katalyst DSM; D’Agostino Momentum S250; Linn Uphorik; Rega RP10 w/Rega Aphelion cartridge; Sonus Faber Amati Futura; Shunyata Denali 6000T, Alpha NR & various Ztron powersnakes; Shunyata Ztron Cobra IC & speaker cables; Quadraspire Sunoko-Vent T, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Mini; Synology DS412+; VPI HW-27
Personal audio: Woo Audio WA6 w/upgrades, Woo WA7 "Fireflies", Auralic Aries Mini, Astell & Kern AK100 II, AKG K Q701, Shure SE535, Shure SH1540, Westone ES50 Custom, Sennheiser HD800, Various Moon Audio cables
2nd system: Luxman SQ-N100, PSB Imagine Mini, REL T-5, refurbished AR XA w/Nagaoka MP-200 & VPI cabling, Linn Klimax DSM Renew, Shunyata Venom PS8 w/Defender & Viper, various Nordost power & IC, Acoustic Zen sc, Symposium Svelte Shelves
Workshop: Cambridge Audio Azur 340R, Martin Logan Motion 4, Squeezebox Touch, AZ sc & ic
Old 12-03-2017, 01:06 PM
It's not just the music!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonmb View Post
Congratulations Serge, that looks like a great amp. The volume control and the gain control options make it look especially interesting.
Yes, very convenient features for sure. Love the remote and the custom + 128-step ALPS RK27 High-Grade motorized volume control pot does add a bit of transparency but it is one of those diminishing returns luxuries. The Pre-Gain feature also comes in handy as sources and/or dacs feeding it change in the future. At the special Black Friday sale prices, it was a no brainer to Load this Beast up.

Last edited by PHC1; 12-03-2017 at 02:59 PM.
Old 12-03-2017, 01:12 PM
It's not just the music!

Loving the DAC module. It's no Gungnir outboard DAC in resolution and detail retrieval but it has a very nice, organic flow to the music with a hint of warmth and smoothness that is often welcomed with various recordings. Some serious synergy going on with the amp itself.

Makes me want to try the Violectric stand alone DACs. With one of their rectangular format headphone amps, it would be an awesome headphone station "stack" for the desk or rack. The feet can be ordered in Black. Silver or Gold to match.

Old 12-03-2017, 01:37 PM
It's not just the music!

Violectric included what seems to be a rather nice quality USB cable that is well shielded since I purchased the DAC module. I installed the USB cable this morning swapping it out for a very generic USB cable. Well, I'll be damned, it does make a difference...

Old 12-03-2017, 02:08 PM
It's not just the music!

In terms of warranty, in case anyone is interested in that information.

VIOLECTRIC (LAKE PEOPLE electronic GmbH) warrants our products to be free of defects in materials and workmanship for a period of five (5) years for models sold under the Violectric brand name and two (2) years for models sold under the Lake People brand name. The warranty period starts*from the date of purchase. Only products purchased from an authorized VIOLECTRIC / LAKE PEOPLE*dealer are covered under this warranty.

Old 12-06-2017, 10:28 PM
It's not just the music!

The V281 is blossoming into quite an impressive headphone amp. It was great out of the box and cold on day 1 but now that I have 4 days of around the clock burn in, some small but not insignificant changes took place and the sonic character emerging moves me in BIG way. Effortless dynamics, zero grain or harshness, weighty, meaty, full bodied presentation without sounding overly dark or bandwidth challenged in the treble.

The Sennheisers love the new amp, the HD650 especially appreciated the balanced drive of the V281. Focal Utopia and V281 combo is simply jaw dropping. Just the right pairing for my taste, ultra resolving but rich and full bodied sound without sacrificing dynamic contrast or speed. The V281 is my new reference solid state for sure.

I still often find myself listening to the DAC module inside the V281. It is not the Schiit Gungnir DAC by any stretch of imagination when it comes to ultimate micro detail, openness, airiness and perceived resolution but... When listening to certain genres of music it is pure honey on the ears and locks in with the V281 for a VERY musical, moving and engaging presentation with the Utopia. The V281 and Utopia combo makes me want to stay up all night and greet the sunrise with the smooth, reedy and intoxicating saxophone still filling my ears with the beautiful music.

With the power reserve and the finesse, refinement and smooth presentation, the V281 is one impressive headphone amp. Now I understand why so many have fallen for this particular amp. Hard to fault. Actually impossible to fault.