AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shunyata Research

Shunyata Research Designing Silent Systems for recording, film and music

Old 02-26-2011, 05:00 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Default Shunyata Venom 3/Diamondback Platinum comparo

Recently ordered a Hydra and Black Mamba HC CX 20 amp pc to power it. Took the advantage to also order a Shunyata Venom 3 power cord at the same time.

Principle reason was that I had heard so much about this new, entry-level $95 cord, and had gotten a lot of questions from friends if I thought it would be better than the Diamondback Platinum, the mid-level cord in Shunyata's line of "molded power cords". The DB Platinum normally retails for $250, though it's frequently been heavily discounted at many places of late, like Music Direct, etc.

Last night did a little comparo between the two, just running either the DB Platinum or the Venom 3 from the phono stage to the pre.

My initial impression was, "Wow, the Venom 3 is more transparent, dynamic and punchy than the DB Platinum!" Some repeated comparisons gave the impression that both are very good, with excellent resolution, transparency, musicality and a sweetness that seems standard for the Shunyata "house sound", but personally, for my phono stage in my system, I think I would have to give the edge to the Venom 3. Each is slightly different from the other, but the Venom 3 seemed a touch more transparent, and a bit fuller-sounding; perhaps just a skosh more rolled off on the top end, though it's bottom end seemed punchier. In combination with my TT with it's Shelter, this seemed to really create some nice synergy; it tamed the Shelter's ever-so-slight top-end forwardness, and put some weight into the low end that the Shelter needed compared to my Grado Sonata.

It's all about synergy, of course, but I will say that for $95, the Shunyata Venom 3 is an absolutely KILLER power cord, and would be my strong recommendation for anyone considering a Shunyata power cord costing anything up to getting in to the CX-series of cords, e.g. the entry-level CX cord, the Black Mamba CX at $550.

Amazing cord for the money.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:47 AM

Stephen...thanks for the nice write-up. I am a big Shunyata fan. Right now I have the Python Helix Alpha connected to my Hydra 8. I have a few DB Platinums on various components but I think I am going to go with the Mamba CX and Mamba CX HC (for my power amp) for the rest of my gear. Enjoy the new PCs.
Old 02-26-2011, 12:12 PM

I listened to the new Black Mamba IC and SC last weekend - very impressive. Similar observations to Stephen.

I'm seriously considering going with the Blank Mamba PC (CX and CH HC), IC and SC for my new ARC gear and Revel Salon 2 speakers.

Mike
Old 02-26-2011, 12:57 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Black Mamba interconnects and speaker cables?
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 02-26-2011, 01:07 PM

Yeap. New - just announced at CES. The IC w XLR are $750 and the SC are $1,500.
Old 02-26-2011, 01:15 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Interesting.
Old 02-26-2011, 01:22 PM

My dealer spoke highly of these. So, I asked for a short demo and was quite impressed.

We did a short but very interesting comparison with far pricier wires from a very reputable company. I can tell you that the differences were significant.

I think this new Black Mamba line is going to be a hit.
Old 02-26-2011, 02:51 PM
Cool, calm scientist

More interesting, thanks. I think very highly of their power cords, it's clear they really know what they are doing with respect to designing cables and cords, so your comments don't surprise me one bit.
Old 02-26-2011, 02:54 PM

Mike...thanks for the heads-up. I believe Jeff (Tonepub) hinted at these new cables from Shunyata. He uses their Aeros top of the line ICs and SCs. I will see if my dealer has any demos of the new cables and test them out in my rig.
Old 02-26-2011, 03:11 PM

Cyril - Perfect. I hope he has them. Would like to get your perspective. I was impressed with what I heard - which was unexpected to be honest.

Mike