AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Turntables & Vinyl > Phono-Pre Amps & Cartridges

Phono-Pre Amps & Cartridges Welcome to the Dark Side!

Old 10-17-2015, 03:33 PM
Audiophilia Maximus

Question SS Or Tube Phono Preamp?

I have ss and tubes in my integrated amplifiers. I love both and switch out ocassionally. My dilemma is my Emotiva XPS-1's power supply has died. This makes two power supplies that have gone bad within twelve months. The unit is one of the best phono preamps I have found, but Emotiva uses a cheap P.O.S. power supply. So, I am on the hunt for a good phono preamp and hope it will last longer.

EDIT:
Please do not recommend to me to contact Emotiva and get another power supply. Until they realize the power supply they are currently using is bad, they will continue to replace with the same power supply. I do not want the same power supply because it will continue to go bad.

There are advantages/disadvantages to ss and tube amps. Basically it comes down to preference. For an audiophile who uses both ss and tubes, I'm not sure which one would be the overall best fir for my audio system. It must be compatible for MM and MC cartridges since I use both in my analog system.

I'm looking for help/recommendations from those who have used both, and I would for you to give me your thoughts/impressions and which one you prefer and why. I know the majority of you have high end audio equipment. However, I am a low middle class person with a family of two living on just my paycheck, so my budget for the new/slightly used preamp will be $500 or less.

Your help/assistance will be appreciated!

Last edited by 4Play; 10-17-2015 at 06:39 PM. Reason: Additional Info.
Old 10-17-2015, 08:42 PM

At that price point, I'd probably recommend sticking with SS for a phono pre. Though I would be that the phono pre in the MA5100 you have is pretty solid for MM. If you really want to try tube, I'd highly recommend the iFi iPhono.

New solid state - you can get the Vincent Audio PHO-8 brand new right now for $300. It has a separate power supply and for $300 it is a bargain. I was also really impressed with the Clearaudio Nano Phono, but it seems you maybe already have one?

Solid state used you'd be hard pressed to beat the PS Audio GCPH - works with just about any cart you could ever throw at it, too. I like to think of it as a giant killer It tops my recommendation list!
Old 10-17-2015, 09:20 PM
Audiophilia Maximus

Hey Josh!!!

How the hell are you? I sent you a PM.

I am considering a tube phono preamp, but I have not heard from any tube phono preamp owners. I would love to get the PS Audio GCPH, but it's right at the high end of my budget.

The Vincent Audio PHO-8 is high on my list. I will be checking them out and see what consumers are saying about them.

If anyone has experience with the PHO-8, I would like to hear/read your experience and your thoughts/impressions.
Old 10-17-2015, 10:37 PM

I wouldn't worry too much about the whole tubes vs solid state debate. Some tube amps sound great and some sound bad. Some solid state amps sound great and some sound bad. It all depends on how the design is implemented.

I used to own the PS Audio GCPH and frankly I didn't like it all. To me it sounded dull and lifeless.

I now use the phono stage that is built into my McIntosh C40 and it sounds fantastic. I'm guessing your MA5100 does MM phono as well? If so, you could consider getting a step up transformer for doing MC. Audio Classics makes one called the ACP2. Look for it on their website under pre-preamps. It is based on a step up that McIntosh used to make back in the 80s but I can't remember the model.
Old 10-17-2015, 10:40 PM
Audiophilia Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekgod View Post
I wouldn't worry too much about the whole tubes vs solid state debate. Some tube amps sound great and some sound bad. Some solid state amps sound great and some sound bad. It all depends on how the design is implemented.

I used to own the PS Audio GCPH and frankly I didn't like it all. To me it sounded dull and lifeless.

I now use the phono stage that is built into my McIntosh C40 and it sounds fantastic. I'm guessing your MA5100 does MM phono as well? If so, you could consider getting a step up transformer for doing MC. Audio Classics makes one called the ACP2. Look for it on their website under pre-preamps. It is based on a step up that McIntosh used to make back in the 80s but I can't remember the model.
GreekGod... Thank you for your insight and recommendation. I will definitely check out the ACP2.
Old 10-17-2015, 10:41 PM

Old 10-17-2015, 11:25 PM
Audiophilia Maximus

Has anyone had experience or auditioned an Audio by Van Alstine AVA Vision Phono Preamp?

There is a review on Audio Circle a member posted. This one comment he made has piqued my interest.
Quote:
The soundstage is excellent, both in depth and width and voices have the fullness and roundness of a 3-D image..."
As you may/may not know, I have a Jolida JD-202BRC tube integrated amp and a pair of Focal 806V speakers. I have experienced a holographic 3D image with this combo. If I would add the AVA Vision phono preamp to this combo, I'm curious to know how this would effect the 3D image. Would it be overkill to the point where the 3D image may be compromised, or would this trio enhance the image and make it more pronounced?

If anyone has experience with this phono preamp, please make a post and share your thoughts/impressions regarding the 3D image. Your help/assistance will be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-18-2015, 03:09 AM

Now I remember... It was based on the McIntosh MCP-1.
Old 10-18-2015, 06:55 AM

If the Emotiva is one of the best phono preamps you have found, why not see if you can get a better power supply from another source?
Old 10-18-2015, 12:51 PM
Audiophilia Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
If the Emotiva is one of the best phono preamps you have found, why not see if you can get a better power supply from another source?
Bernard... I appreciate your post. However, this issue has already been addressed. Emotiva is no longer in the picture and I am moving on.