AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > General Speaker Discussion

General Speaker Discussion Calling all Speakers

Old 09-13-2015, 02:50 PM

Default Kii.audio Kii Three Speakers - the harbinger of a new paradigm of enjoying music ?

Today I heard the Kii Three speaker system for the first time at the Gydotron showcase... and walked away pondering the future of how I would listen to music.
Attachment 42125
This brainchild of Bruno Putzeys (Grimm, Hypex NCore, Mola Mola) seems to share some conceptual ideas with Devialet's Phantom, but is much more ambitious in its aspirations and execution. For all the marketing and technical stuff there is the company's website, but suffice it to say that clever use of acoustical physics and a 6 channel DSP engine yields a speaker that, frankly speaking, demolishes any preconceived notions you could have of what a speaker is supposed to do or can do.

The auditorium was a rather large attic, with high v shaped ceiling, partioned in two halves, one half being the stage for a pair of Kii Threes. Source, a laptop; DAC, amps all residing in the compact enclosure of the speaker.

Two observations right of the bat. Although bass was articulate and musical, it was not felt, but one can put that on the roomsize's account. Secondly the imaging was simply otherworthly. I appreciate that the tracklist favoured music that made the speakers strut their stuff, but I have never, never ever heard such accuracy. It left me speechless and with a rather awkward feeling of shock and awe as my brains were trying to process what I just experienced.

I can imagine that for some it just will be too great a mental block to conceive of a truly highend system that does away with pretty much all we hold dear.

The organiser of the event told me that a whole family of Kii products is in development. If ever they would pair the Kii Three with some kind of well integrated subwoofer, I would seriously consider selling my current Proac Response D100 speakers.

I'm well aware that many times in the past new technologies have tried to dazzle and tempt us to abandon our cherished systems, only to find ourselves with a hangover and empty pockets when the siren's call has faded.

Could Bruno Putzeys have cracked it. Could this product, that is the fruit of years of experience, be the harbinger of things to come ?

I for one welcome these moments that shake and stir us out of our complecancy.

At 10.000€ for a pair, these speakers offer ridiculously value for money, and although they will not find favor with everyone (which is perfectly ok), if you get the chance to audition them, go for it and enjoy the ride... One thing is certain, whatever you think of them...for sure you will have something to talk about.

Last edited by JemHadar; 11-03-2017 at 01:34 PM.
Old 09-13-2015, 03:32 PM

I've been reading a lot about these speakers in recent weeks, all of it very tantalising. I think I've lined up a home demo once they become available, and I truly can't wait. I'm ready to step away from audiophilia and into a set-and-forget solution if the sound is good enough, especially in my awkward room, so this might be the very thing I've been looking for.

Last edited by Diapason; 09-13-2015 at 03:39 PM.
Old 09-15-2015, 11:51 AM

Thank you for your impressions. From what I have read online, you are not the only one who has commented about the bass being heard but not felt. Nonetheless, if the listening room is the same as the picture below, it would not have been unexpected. The other pair has an interesting colour.

Would you be able to elaborate on how the Kii Three "does away with pretty much all we hold dear"? How does the tonality and dynamics (micro/macro) compare with your current system?

I understand a floorstander is in development but that may not be out till next year, at the earliest.
Old 09-16-2015, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfnc View Post
Would you be able to elaborate on how the Kii Three "does away with pretty much all we hold dear"? How does the tonality and dynamics (micro/macro) compare with your current system?.
THX for the picture... It is indeed the attic from the showcase.

Attachment 42173
photo credit : Sven Verbruci

Part of the hobby is mixing, matching, tuning, swapping components; with these speakers ADC/DAC, DSP and Amps are all incorporated in the speaker and they are engineered and matched for maximum performance. It is an engineering marvel that delivers on its promise "Face the Music". To hear width, depth, spacing between instruments in an acoustically compromised setting with this level of accuracy was mindblowing.

The search for purity of sound through choice of components becomes obsolete and irrelevant. I'm struggling with this. For me, at the end of the day, it is all about the music...with this level of performance, it shouldn't matter what makes the air molecules vibrate...but abandoning my beloved McIntosh Proac setup is just something I'm not ready for...yet. Although I know the Kii Three would solve my acoustical issues as they minimize bass buildup behind corner placed speakers as is the case at my place.

I thought I knew what it meant to hear a holographic soundstage...haha...not...until I heard the Kii's. They just deliver pure music, the closest to live music as I can remember...compared to the Coltranes, also at the Gydotron showcase, they were lightyears ahead...it just doesn't compute.

It is a good thing the floorstanders and digital wifi pre-amp are scheduled for next year. So I can remain in denial as my brain tries to justify finding another destination for my current setup.

Aaaarrrrggggghhhh...the agony...you just got to love it ;-)

Last edited by JemHadar; 11-03-2017 at 01:34 PM.
Old 09-16-2015, 03:07 PM

"The past weekend there are more than 10 pair Kii Three sold. Normaly we never sell on a show....... Everybody was extremely enthusiastic. The next show will be the 10 & 11 the october in Brussels. Katrien & Guido from Gydotron Audio"
Old 09-16-2015, 03:31 PM

My excitement is certainly growing, although I keep wondering if they'll actually float my boat. Will I actually LIKE the sound, no matter how accurate it is? Time will tell, but it's certainly wonderful to think that something affordable might provide great sonics and deep bass in my very difficult room.

Last edited by Diapason; 09-17-2015 at 05:40 AM.
Old 09-17-2015, 01:59 AM

Thanks, Jem666. Sounds like a ringing endorsement

I look forward to hearing them when they arrive at the local dealer, although I must confess to having a similar mental block. EUR10,000 is not small change but for a convenient all-in-one domestically friendly package to perform at a similar level to your current set-up seems mind boggling. Plus, no more bragging rights

Btw, the brown speakers (Bronze Matt metallic, according to Kii) looks very attractive although the upcharge (more than the cost of the stands) is not.
Old 09-17-2015, 06:07 AM

Latest info on the Kii remote - taking longer than anticipated:

This will be called the Kii CONTROL.

The Kii Control will function as your digital preamp to switch between multiple sources and control the volume within the Kii Three.
It will also offer a second digital input and a USB input to directly connect your Mac or PC. The Kii Control easily connects to the Three via a single CAT5 cable and can be IR controlled.

A pair of Kii Threes, a Kii Control and any music streamer or CD drive can make up a modern, minimal yet outstanding hifi system for your home.

Affordable, elegant and easy to use, but still offering a perfectly audiophile listening experience! We plan to release the Kii Control in Q2 / 2016 for a very affordable price.