AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Music

Music What really matters most

Old 10-26-2013, 07:02 AM
World's Oldest Audiophile

A bit more piano music, but a little more relaxing and gentle this time - the Liszt was a tad raucous for this early (6:30 a.m.) in the day.

Listening to . . . Chopin - The Complete Nocturnes, The Complete Impromptus

Claudio Arrau, Piano

A two disc Philips CD box set.

Excellent piano playing some of the most beautiful music known to man! The Nocturnes will put you to sleep or relax your mind to the point you just sit, close your eyes, and become totally absorbed in the music.

I have a record player and a cd player and some other stuff that sounds pretty good.

MAIN SYSTEM: . . . Audio Physic Caldera III Loudspeakers, Spectral DMC 30SL Preamp, Spectral DMA 250 Amp, Spectral/MIT interconnects and speaker cable, Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Walker Precision Speed Controller, Graham tonearm, [B]Koetsu Rosewood or Grado Statement 1 Cartridges, PASS - X-ono Phono Stage, Esoteric K03 CD/SACD Player, Lexicon RT-20 Universal Player, Exact Power EP-15A & SP-15A power regeneration and conditioning devices. Symposium Acoustics Svelte pads & RollerBlock Jr's under speakers. ASC Tube Traps, Arcici Suspense Rack System, OPPO and Cambridge Streaming Devices.

DOWNSTAIRS SYSTEM: . . . Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento Speakers, JL Audio F112 Sub, McIntosh MA7000 Integrated Amp, McIntosh MVP871 Universal Disc Player, OPPO BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player, VPI Scoutmaster with periphery ring clamp, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Koetsu Pro IV, or Clearaudio Discovery Cartridges, Mark Levinson No. 25s phono stage, Wadia 170i Transport with a Meridian Bitstream 203 DAC, VPI HW-17 Pro Record Cleaning Machine, Five Richard Gray RGPC 400 devices scattered around the two systems, Arcici Suspense Rack System, Discovery Essence and Essential Cables, 14,000 ± LPs .

Last edited by AudioNut; 10-26-2013 at 07:04 AM.
Old 10-26-2013, 08:24 AM

Getting fired up this morning, with the Black Dyke Band doing Gregson's Concerto for tuba and band.
Old 10-26-2013, 09:57 AM

Been so long since I played this, I had forgotten just how much fun it was.

Listening to the original, the one and only . . .
SWITCHED ON BACH - Bach a la Moog
Played on the Moog Synthesizer by the incomparable
WALTER CARLOS- even before he changed her name to - WENDY CARLOS
A Columbia Records LP, recorded in 1968
Quote:
Switched-On Bach was one of the first classical albums to sell 500,000 copies. Entering Billboard's pop Top 40 charts on March 1, 1969, it climbed quickly to the Top 10; it stayed in the Top 40 for 17 weeks,[2] and in the Top 200 for more than a year. In the 1969 Grammy Awards, the album took three prizes: Best Classical Album, Best Classical Performance – Instrumental Soloist or Soloists (with or without orchestra) and Best Engineered Classical Recording.

I have a record player and a cd player and some other stuff that sounds pretty good.

MAIN SYSTEM: . . . Audio Physic Caldera III Loudspeakers, Spectral DMC 30SL Preamp, Spectral DMA 250 Amp, Spectral/MIT interconnects and speaker cable, Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Walker Precision Speed Controller, Graham tonearm, [B]Koetsu Rosewood or Grado Statement 1 Cartridges, PASS - X-ono Phono Stage, Esoteric K03 CD/SACD Player, Lexicon RT-20 Universal Player, Exact Power EP-15A & SP-15A power regeneration and conditioning devices. Symposium Acoustics Svelte pads & RollerBlock Jr's under speakers. ASC Tube Traps, Arcici Suspense Rack System, OPPO and Cambridge Streaming Devices.

DOWNSTAIRS SYSTEM: . . . Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento Speakers, JL Audio F112 Sub, McIntosh MA7000 Integrated Amp, McIntosh MVP871 Universal Disc Player, OPPO BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player, VPI Scoutmaster with periphery ring clamp, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Koetsu Pro IV, or Clearaudio Discovery Cartridges, Mark Levinson No. 25s phono stage, Wadia 170i Transport with a Meridian Bitstream 203 DAC, VPI HW-17 Pro Record Cleaning Machine, Five Richard Gray RGPC 400 devices scattered around the two systems, Arcici Suspense Rack System, Discovery Essence and Essential Cables, 14,000 ± LPs .
Old 10-26-2013, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EfeTe View Post
Getting fired up this morning, with the Black Dyke Band doing Gregson's Concerto for tuba and band.
Welcome to Audio Aficionado . . . and to the Classical Music Thread EfeTe. Please jump in and tell us about the music you listen to.

Look back through the posts and see the emphasis on sharing information and impressions of the music we listen to, and also the friendly repartee that we share.

Glad you are here.

Old 10-26-2013, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioNut View Post

Don't have much in the way of frame of reference on these Liszt concertos, but the performances sound wonderful.
Try Richter/Kondrashin/LSO on Philips--it's the benchmark recording!

or a newer repackaging

(You get a hair-raising performance of Liszt's Sonata as a bonus.)
Old 10-26-2013, 05:58 PM

Aeolus has a demonstration-worthy recording in this second volume of Bach's Concertos. Vivid, stunningly clear sound and vivacious performances add up to a real winner. Hakkinen's 16' harpsichord sounds fantastic, especially in the two solo pieces.

Last edited by Toccata; 10-26-2013 at 08:21 PM.
Old 10-26-2013, 06:27 PM

Paul Pray & The Detroit Symphony Orcehstra

Bizet: Carmen Suite/La Patrie Overture/L'arlésienne Suite Thomas: Mignon & Raymond Overtures

Old 10-26-2013, 08:27 PM

For those of you with a knee-jerk reaction to the name Schoenberg, relax! Pelleas et Melisande was written before he developed his 12-tone system, and is a gorgeous post-Romantic 40-minute tone poem. Picture a slighty edgier Richard Strauss. The Berg is a tougher nut, but it's still worth investigating. MDG has provided room-shaking yet detailed SACD audio (Some of the climaxes are positively cataclysmic!). I've never heard of the performers before, but they acquit themselves nicely. They might not eclipse Karajan and the Berlin Phil in these pieces, but they play with tremendous intensity.

Old 10-26-2013, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioNut View Post
Welcome to Audio Aficionado . . . and to the Classical Music Thread EfeTe. Please jump in and tell us about the music you listen to.

Look back through the posts and see the emphasis on sharing information and impressions of the music we listen to, and also the friendly repartee that we share.

Glad you are here.

Hi Julian, thanks tons for your post and the warm welcome.

The music I listen to... well, very difficult to define I guess as music is my life and I like a lot in different genres in a highly eclectic manner.

I reside mostly in Argentina, but am fortunate to travel a whole lot throughout the year so one thing that fascinates is investigating, finding out about domestic music in each region, bring a few CD's back with me and "discover" all that if you know what I mean. I'm 40 and an Argie national so for me Luis Alberto Spinetta (youtube him if you're able) is the absolute greatest musician / lyricist / composer to ever grace this South American soil.

Granddad was an orchestra conductor so as you can imagine been exposed to all kinds of stuff, I like classical and have several instruments around so in classical terms big fan of chamber and solo piano, Chopin nutter really.

But what I like stretches well beyond classical, in fact I've got guitars, bass guitars, keyboards etc and listen to everything / anything really. For the last decade or so rock / blues rock seems to have become a fave for me so a lot of Hendrix, SR Vaughan, Robben Ford, Clapton, Jeff Beck, Robert Cray, Buddy Guy playing constantly in this house.

Lots of jazz and fusion too (i.e. Frisell, Scofield, Henderson, Stern, Metheny etc) and no prejudism at all I have to say. Classic rock, Bowie, Costello, Lou Reed, Dylan, Knopfler, Tom Petty more recent stuff like U2 -first decade or so- even prog rock, tango (of course!), Brazilian music, hard rock you name it I've explored it.

Very happy with how my setup has turned out but now working on an HTPC and also figuring out what to upgrade next. I need to rent a bigger house asap and start preparing a nice man cave for myself and the boy (7 years old) who as I'm writing this is playing Midnight Oil on the computer and investigating a bit about their lyrics, their message, their political stance. Tomorrow I'll be exposing him to Joe Satriani / Steve Vai so there you go, very eclectic indeed!

Cheers from Buenos Aires
Old 10-27-2013, 05:48 PM

Now the day is over, night is drawing nigh . . . A song we frequently sing at evening services at our church . . . in a service of Compline. . . defined as . . . "a service of evening prayers forming part of the Divine Office of the Western Christian Church, traditionally said (or chanted) before retiring for the night."

And I am listening to a gorgeous Harmonia Mundi recording of the music of Tallis, Byrd & Sheppard.

MUSIC FOR COMPLINE

Stile Anticlco

Recorded in 2007. This is a recording of beautiful choral music, suited for use at the Compline services I mentioned above. Mostly used in Catholic evening services, but also used by other Western Christian persuasions - and used in the Anglican - Church of England - and American Episcopal Church.

But, church or not, this is just a gorgeous choral recording and should not be missed.