AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Cables Galore

Cables Galore Speaker cables, Interconnects & Power cords

Old 02-07-2010, 04:21 PM

Default Audioquest demo

OK, I have just picked up two complete lines of audioquest for my system. These are demo and I need to hear what they can provide to my system. I will be testing first the Colorado series interconnects with my current speaker cables. After that I will test the Sky series with my current speaker cables. Then I plan to match the interconnects and speaker cables together Sky then Colorado. I just plugged in the Colorado interconnects so will give them some time to warm up and listen prior to kickoff.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:51 AM

OK I changed up the procedure. I kind of liked what I heard in the Colorado interconnects. They seemed to work well with my current speaker cables but I feel in order to really test them I must now mate them with the Colorado speaker cable. What I heard was a bit better spacial detail with the Colorado and other brand speaker cables. The frequency range seemed to be in tact top to bottom. I went ahead and put in the Colorado speaker cables tonight and will let play through the night and listen tomorrow. I will give updates but will hold final judgment till I have sampled all that is to sample which is 4 complete sets of different interconnects/speaker cables as well as a whole nother set of power cords.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:01 AM

OK, got the Audioquest Colorado interconnects and speaker cables in for a couple of days now. First I have to say I really like the sound. My initial impression was wow, surprised in-fact. At first I wasn't getting great extension on red-book cd's but was on sacd. Now that the new power cords come in, the extension is there on both again. The only problem I think I'm seeing is a lack of quickness in delivery and or timing. I'm going to give it one more listen for that problem again tonight to be sure. As far as frequency range it seems to have it all and very nice and neutral. I think until I get the others tested I won't really be able to give a good idea since for now all I have to compare with was my Shunyata Stratos and Cirus. Interesting the Shunyata seemed quicker but these seem fuller. I could really see these Colorado series working nicely in a tube system or just a little more laid back than mine. Tonight will tell. I will give one last audition then before going to the Elation.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:14 AM

OK, the Audioquest Colorado has been removed. I may at some point go back to it just to hear it again after hearing the other three.

Let me say first I thought this was an excellent cable. The sound was very natural and so clean. The thing I felt like was missing was the quick effortless delivery and the natural distortion of an instrument. I felt like I was just missing some of the inner soul of the piano and the Guitars. I still think this cable would be wonderful in a slower more laid back system, maybe my previous system would've been perfect. This system with BAT's straight forward audio circuit and zero feedback design is very quick and natural so I need a cable that can translate quick without losing the natural timber and soul of instruments.

The detail and spacious stage was very good with this cable in my system. The only real problem I could find with this cable in my rig is the quickness and the lack of timber or natural soul of some instruments. The hand drum had more of a pop to it and not the, how do I say the hollow sound after the pop. This is a great set of cables and I was over all impressed for sure but feel my system is just to quick for this cable and is why some of these things get covered up or missed. I think I would've loved this cable with my 2301's.
Old 02-10-2010, 05:14 PM

Default Transparent

Beerdraft,

Have you auditioned Transparent cabling in your system? I am very happy with Transparent in my system. I only mention it because I have heard that Dave Wilson has used Transparent with his speakers and others have achieved great results with this combination. I would assume it would be a match with your Sasha's.

Jason

Preamp: McIntosh C1100T/C1100C, McIntosh MX180
Amp: McIntosh MC611 (2), MC601 (3), MI254
Digital: McIntosh D1100, McIntosh MCT450, Meridian 808v6, Aurender N20, Aurender ACS10, Oppo 203
Analog: McIntosh MT10, Hana Umami Red
Phono preamp: Simaudio Moon 610LP, 820S
Signal cables: WW Gold Eclipse 7 speaker cables; Shunyata Sigma v2 XLR (2); Sigma v1 XLR (2), Transparent Ref XL (MM2) XLR; WW Silver Eclipse 7 (4)
Digital cables: Shunyata Omega USB, Omega Ethernet, Sigma Ethernet; WW Platinum 7 Coax, AES/EBU
Switch: Innuos PhoenixNet
Power: Audioquest Niagara 7000, Audioquest 5000, Audioquest Dragon, Hurricane PC, Shunyata Alpha HC, AQ NRG Edison outlets, (8) 20 amp dedicated lines, 125 amp subpanel
Speakers: Wilson Sasha DAW, Dynaudio Contour 30, Dynaudio Contour 25C
Subs: REL s/812 (6), REL s/510 (3)
Accessories: HRS M3X2 shelf (MT10), Stillpoints Ultra II v2 w/ bases (21), Ultra SS (12), Mini (12), LPi v1
Sound treaments: Artnovion
Old 02-11-2010, 09:44 AM

It is the bare wire that is sourced out to Transparent so it isn't like its transparent technology. Wilson gets the bare wire and does everything else. I think they are fine cables but they aren't on my list for trial. I have heard the Transparent while up in Chicago and also heard the Synergistic so I am somewhat familiar with them and the speaker in both of these was the Sasha. I think my new cables will be coming from the 4 that I have to demo though.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:58 AM

I just realized the speaker cables are the Meteor for the Colorado and the Gilbraltar for the Sky series. This is how AQ told me to match them up. Sorry for referring them all as Colorado/Sky.

Last edited by beerdraft; 02-12-2010 at 09:51 AM.
Old 02-14-2010, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerdraft View Post
It is the bare wire that is sourced out to Transparent so it isn't like its transparent technology. Wilson gets the bare wire and does everything else. I think they are fine cables but they aren't on my list for trial. I have heard the Transparent while up in Chicago and also heard the Synergistic so I am somewhat familiar with them and the speaker in both of these was the Sasha. I think my new cables will be coming from the 4 that I have to demo though.

Thanks for clarifying, i wasn't aware it was only bare wire from transparent. I wonder why....anyway Audioquest makes outstanding cables as well. I own the Audioquest Leopard phono cable.

Preamp: McIntosh C1100T/C1100C, McIntosh MX180
Amp: McIntosh MC611 (2), MC601 (3), MI254
Digital: McIntosh D1100, McIntosh MCT450, Meridian 808v6, Aurender N20, Aurender ACS10, Oppo 203
Analog: McIntosh MT10, Hana Umami Red
Phono preamp: Simaudio Moon 610LP, 820S
Signal cables: WW Gold Eclipse 7 speaker cables; Shunyata Sigma v2 XLR (2); Sigma v1 XLR (2), Transparent Ref XL (MM2) XLR; WW Silver Eclipse 7 (4)
Digital cables: Shunyata Omega USB, Omega Ethernet, Sigma Ethernet; WW Platinum 7 Coax, AES/EBU
Switch: Innuos PhoenixNet
Power: Audioquest Niagara 7000, Audioquest 5000, Audioquest Dragon, Hurricane PC, Shunyata Alpha HC, AQ NRG Edison outlets, (8) 20 amp dedicated lines, 125 amp subpanel
Speakers: Wilson Sasha DAW, Dynaudio Contour 30, Dynaudio Contour 25C
Subs: REL s/812 (6), REL s/510 (3)
Accessories: HRS M3X2 shelf (MT10), Stillpoints Ultra II v2 w/ bases (21), Ultra SS (12), Mini (12), LPi v1
Sound treaments: Artnovion
Old 02-18-2010, 02:22 AM

I owned audioquest cables for years. I dont care for the dialectic charge to replace them every 5 yrs or so depending on use. not to mention there using a battery to stop FR interference. I also recently tested Transparent & WireWorld. Quite costly even audioquest can be costly, I decided to take a chance and build A DIY pair from DH Labs Silver Sonic Q-10 and my friends, salesperson and friend and I could not hear any real difference, especially the price difference. I was able to make 2 7ft fronts and 5ft center for around $200+ with banana plugs. I'll save my money, my ears nor theirs heard a justifiable difference. Next Ill be comparing my WW equinox 6 and Transparent Ultra mm2 XLR although I bet again i wont hear a difference except my checking account will have a few thousand extra in it. and I DIY my powercables as well. again, no change. weird huh?

Last edited by crytklmass; 02-18-2010 at 03:47 PM. Reason: spell correction
Old 02-18-2010, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crytklmass View Post
I owned transparent for years. I dont care for the dialectic charge to replace them every 5 yrs or so depending on use. not to mention there using a battery to stop FR interference.
I think you are mixing your cables. There is no battery to change on Transparent cables.