AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > B&W Speakers

B&W Speakers Bowers & Wilkins Greatest

Old 04-29-2012, 05:32 PM
Life is beautiful

I had the pleasure of hearing the Nautilus a couple of months ago.
The show also had a pair of 802D's and 800D's to compare.
Difficult comparison though, because the 800 and 802 were driven by Accuphase electronics and the Nautilus by Classe monoblocks.
The Nautilus defended itself pretty good I must say. The highs maybe even more revealing than the Diamonds.
All excellent speakers.
But compared to Dickie's more recent realisations, Vivid Audio, the latter wins very easily. It also requires much less amplifier power.
I own a whole set, so I am probably prejudiced. But I chose the brand only after lots and lots of comparing. And I am still auditioning speakers but have yet to meet its match.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 04-29-2012, 06:50 PM

i was lucky enough to listen to them a few weeks back.
These have been a speaker i have always wanted to listen to and finally got a chance.

The room was designed like a cathedral, very high ceilings with lots of different angles.

bass traps, absorption panels and diffusers, all incorporated into the walls, as well as cd racks

Use of diffusion panels was quite extensive indeed, in fact most of the rear of the room was covered in it.

Floor, 3/4 of the room covered in carpet and the rear 1/4 timber.

Speakers were really brought right into the room, i would say a minimum of around 3 mtrs in, maybe even a little more, and listening seat is nearfield

Equipment was the full DSC scarlatti quad stack. Transport, dac, upsampler and clock.
amps were a pair of 4 channel jeff rowlands
pre amp was a custom built valve job from a local guy here in Melbourne Aus.
There was also an earth box that everything was earthed to.

All i can say is that this has now become my reference system. It just sounded magical.
talk about a 3d soundstage, with great height and width, but the depth was simply amazing.

No doubt the room played a huge part, but none the less, the system as a whole was very impressive indeed.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart View Post
I had the pleasure of hearing the Nautilus a couple of months ago.
The show also had a pair of 802D's and 800D's to compare.
Difficult comparison though, because the 800 and 802 were driven by Accuphase electronics and the Nautilus by Classe monoblocks.
The Nautilus defended itself pretty good I must say. The highs maybe even more revealing than the Diamonds.
All excellent speakers.
But compared to Dickie's more recent realisations, Vivid Audio, the latter wins very easily. It also requires much less amplifier power.
I own a whole set, so I am probably prejudiced. But I chose the brand only after lots and lots of comparing. And I am still auditioning speakers but have yet to meet its match.
Thats interesting as I have only heard the 802 & 800 series and the Vivid K1s. Unfortunately the Vivids room was not treated and was only soso. The owner was still undecided if he preferred the Vivids or his Revels (which he felt had more emotion).
Old 04-30-2012, 06:54 AM
World's Oldest Audiophile

I found a website that lists the retail price as € 52,000.00. ($68,938.5 US dollars)

I have a record player and a cd player and some other stuff that sounds pretty good.

MAIN SYSTEM: . . . Audio Physic Caldera III Loudspeakers, Spectral DMC 30SL Preamp, Spectral DMA 250 Amp, Spectral/MIT interconnects and speaker cable, Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Walker Precision Speed Controller, Graham tonearm, [B]Koetsu Rosewood or Grado Statement 1 Cartridges, PASS - X-ono Phono Stage, Esoteric K03 CD/SACD Player, Lexicon RT-20 Universal Player, Exact Power EP-15A & SP-15A power regeneration and conditioning devices. Symposium Acoustics Svelte pads & RollerBlock Jr's under speakers. ASC Tube Traps, Arcici Suspense Rack System, OPPO and Cambridge Streaming Devices.

DOWNSTAIRS SYSTEM: . . . Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento Speakers, JL Audio F112 Sub, McIntosh MA7000 Integrated Amp, McIntosh MVP871 Universal Disc Player, OPPO BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player, VPI Scoutmaster with periphery ring clamp, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Koetsu Pro IV, or Clearaudio Discovery Cartridges, Mark Levinson No. 25s phono stage, Wadia 170i Transport with a Meridian Bitstream 203 DAC, VPI HW-17 Pro Record Cleaning Machine, Five Richard Gray RGPC 400 devices scattered around the two systems, Arcici Suspense Rack System, Discovery Essence and Essential Cables, 14,000 ± LPs .

Last edited by Masterlu; 04-30-2012 at 10:02 AM. Reason: Sorry, no links to non-sponsor sites selling equipment
Old 04-30-2012, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj_AmTraX View Post
My girlfriend thinks its UGLY. I must like UGLY.
It is a little reminiscent of the Alien!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg alien3.jpg (142.7 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpeg images.jpeg (10.4 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by GaryProtein; 04-30-2012 at 08:27 AM.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:38 PM

That's is why it is a killer machine!
Main: Mc C2200 (Telefunkens) and MC207, Spectral DMA-180, Marantz AV8805A, JL Audio CR-1 and SAv2, Sony ST-SA5ES, TC-KA3ES and MDS-JA50ES, Oppo UDP-205 and BDP-103D, Bryson BDA-3, Magnum Dynalab FM Signal Sleuth, Remedy, PS Audio P12, Pioneer DT-555,
Samsung 65" QLED TV 8K, JBL 4311B, M&K MX125II on Ultra SS Stillpoints, B&W HTM2D2, CCM7.3 S2, CCM683
Office: Sony TA-F700ES (Mod), MDS-JA50ES (Mod) and SEQ-333ES, Accuphase T-107B, Bryston BDA-3, BHA-1 and BUC-1, Audeze LCD-4, Linn Tukan, REL T7 on Ultra SS Stillpoints, PC Server (16 TB)

Mobile:Audison bit One Virtuoso HD, bit Play HD, Amps and speakers.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:43 AM
Aspiring Audiophile

I think I'd be happy keeping my B&W signature 800's....and picking up a nice pre-owned Porsche 911 Turbo with the difference in price.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:36 PM

I own a pair of Nautilus speakers. Nautilus 805 speakers that is
Old 05-05-2013, 04:54 PM

There are a pair of "Aliens" in my City, it owns to my collegue - Master (but from passenger fleet). I am still waiting moment to catch him on vacation, already second year, no luck till now.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:58 AM

I once asked a car salesman in a Ferrari dealership if I could take a test drive in the used Testarossa that they had on the show room floor. He told me that I could test drive it if I purchased it. I suspect the same philosophy may be true in the case of the Nautilus.

If you are in the market for speakers in this price range (excluding the 4 channels of amplification each speaker needs), it may be worth taking a jaunt to Great Britain, touring the factory and scheduling an audition of this fantastic speaker. I'd say it'd be money well spent if you can't find them closer to home.

Cheers!