AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > B&W Speakers

B&W Speakers Bowers & Wilkins Greatest

Old 03-18-2013, 09:25 AM

I had the first generation 802D and didn't really care for them. I have since upgraded to the latest 800 Diamonds and really like them. I even preferred the 805D to the older 802D.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by budt View Post
I had the first generation 802D and didn't really care for them. I have since upgraded to the latest 800 Diamonds and really like them. I even preferred the 805D to the older 802D.
What was it about the 802D that you didn't like or felt was missing and have you heard the new 802 Diamond?
Old 03-18-2013, 06:41 PM

I find the new series is much more open and transparent.It is like a veil has been removed. They also seem faster but maybe it is simply because they are more transparent and so it appears they are faster. Anyways, I would pick the new 805D over the old 802D if I had to live with them.
I ended up with the 800 Diamonds as I was able to get full value out of my 802D when trading up. I didn't expect such a difference . I just ordered an Esoteric K-03 today so will look forward to hearing that in the system.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by budt View Post
I find the new series is much more open and transparent.It is like a veil has been removed. They also seem faster but maybe it is simply because they are more transparent and so it appears they are faster. Anyways, I would pick the new 805D over the old 802D if I had to live with them.
I ended up with the 800 Diamonds as I was able to get full value out of my 802D when trading up. I didn't expect such a difference . I just ordered an Esoteric K-03 today so will look forward to hearing that in the system.
Thanks
Old 03-19-2013, 01:34 PM

I'm a little late to this party and the OP has likely moved on to other matters, but I thought I'd throw in my $.02. I've got B&W 805Ds upstairs in my 5.1 home theatre, powered by Classe processor/amp, together with an REL sub. They sound terrific for HT use, but I find them a bit overly bright and clinical for 2 channel music only. As I was building my two channel system downstairs I purposely looked at the 804Ds (since I owned the 805Ds) vs the Sonus faber Cremona Ms (since I also owned the Sonus faber Liuto monitors), to be mated to my McIntosh MA6600 integrated, and much preferred the Cremona Ms when it came to 2 ch music. My point is not that one speaker is better than the other but that the a/b comparison should be made as they are very different sounding speakers.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:59 PM

We all hear differently and have different preferences.Personally, I didn't find the 805D too clinical. In fact I would have liked them even more if they were just a touch more revealing. I guess it all comes back to taste/hearing etc.Of course associated equipment can have a major impact on the final sound.
You really do need to listen for yourself.

Last edited by budt; 03-25-2013 at 05:37 PM.