AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > B&W Speakers

B&W Speakers Bowers & Wilkins Greatest

Old 07-20-2017, 11:49 PM

Default From Avalon to B&W 803 D3

I’m thinking to change my Avalon Opus Ceramique to B&W 803 D3, and I have a few questions:

1) Do you think these two pairs of speaker is the same level? Or you think B&W 803 D3 has better quality than Avalon Opus Ceramique?

2) I’m using Electrocompaniet AW-180 Mono-block power-amp to drive my Avalon and it sounds nice. Do you think my AW-180 can also handle B&W-803D3?

3) I listen to music in my living room and my living room area is not big, what I’m worrying is B& W 803 D3 has more bass than Avalon Opus Ceramique and it will create booming. What do you think? If this is the problem, should I look at B&W 804 D3? But 804 D3 quality is lower than Avalon Opus Ceramique in my opinion, it doesn’t make any sense to buy a pair of new speaker which is not as good as my old speaker.

THX!

Old 07-22-2017, 02:59 AM

Hi MMBL622,
Short answers to your question:
1. I do not have experience with the Opus, but I had the 803D3 and it seems it is a much better speaker. Better drivers, better cabinet...simply a different level of a speaker.
2. Looking at the specs of the AW-180, it will drive them without a problem.
3. The 803D3 is pretty easy to integrate in a room, so I do not believe it will cause a problem. But that is never certain until you hear it in your room. I think by having them at least 1m (measured from the drivers) from the back wall you will not have a problem with the bass.
Go for the 803D3...that is the real deal if you want a worthy upgrade.
Cheers
Old 07-22-2017, 11:03 AM
Go Dawgs

MMBL - Well, I along with I think one other member are the sole representatives of the Avalon Acoustics club around here. The short answer is the Opus ceramique is an older speaker, especially in comparison to the newer B&W D3 series, so you probably would be getting an upgrade in technology and speaker driver. I believe the 803D3 retails around $17,000 so you're not really comparing apples to apples when you take into account the price and how old the Avalons are. That being said, I've listened to the new B&Ws and to my ears I would NEVER choose the comparable B&W in price to an equivalent Avalon Acoustics loudspeaker. If you love the way the Avalons sound, I would be combing some authorized dealers to see if there are any equipment steals or open box models of the Eidolon Diamonds, Compas, or Indras out there. Those would be more in comparison to the 803D3 range and I would be very surprised to see the B&Ws outperform the Avalons I mentioned, but of course, the typical caveat, without listening to both you really won't know!

- Buck
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3
Old 07-23-2017, 03:03 PM
Life is beautiful

Good advice from Buck!
You do have to listen, if possible in your own room.
Avalon and B&W sound quite differently and if you've liked Avalon Acoustics so far, you might be disappointed.
My pick from both brands would be Avalon, but there will be many members who disagree.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 07-23-2017, 10:34 PM

Thanks a lot everybody!

4music
Unfortunately there is only 2 feet distance from my speaker to the wall, I’m not sure if any bass problem will create because of this. This is one of the reason I choose Avalon because the air hole in on the bottom (My previous speaker is also Avalon, Ascendant II). However, I already use Avalon speaker for 5 to 6 years, want to get some new sound. I’ve test B&W Diamond several time and I like it ( Both D2 & D3). I also listen to other speakers like Wilson Audio’s Watts Puppy 8, Sophia 3, Sasha but I never enjoy the sound like Avalon and B&W.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:40 PM
Go Dawgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMBL622 View Post
Thanks a lot everybody!

4music
Unfortunately there is only 2 feet distance from my speaker to the wall, I’m not sure if any bass problem will create because of this. This is one of the reason I choose Avalon because the air hole in on the bottom (My previous speaker is also Avalon, Ascendant II). However, I already use Avalon speaker for 5 to 6 years, want to get some new sound. I’ve test B&W Diamond several time and I like it ( Both D2 & D3). I also listen to other speakers like Wilson Audio’s Watts Puppy 8, Sophia 3, Sasha but I never enjoy the sound like Avalon and B&W.
The D2 and D3s are fantastic speakers no doubt, there's nothing wrong with going for something new if you enjoy it. I would just say that before changing lines, I would make an attempt to hear and see how the comparable Avalon model in 2017 prices compare so you have a somewhat accurate comparison.

- Buck
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3