AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Automobiles

Automobiles Need for Speed

Old 10-09-2017, 06:01 PM

Default Ferrari Sport Ute

Sergio Marchionne confirmed speculation that Ferrari NV will make its first sport utility vehicle model while tamping down rumors that Fiat Chrysler Automobiles NV may part ways with Jeep.

Ferrari is beyond just considering an SUV and will take about 30 months to decide on production, which will be limited to preserve exclusivity.
Old 10-09-2017, 06:08 PM

Not sure about the new GTC4Lusso (all wheel drive) but the predecessor FF was never a great seller for Ferrari. I would imagine building a Ferrari SUV in really small numbers would be a good idea. Two factors working against such products for Ferrari. One being the obviously high price and the other being that a typical Ferrari client will not go for the SUV unless he already has another Ferrari in the garage, or two or three... In small numbers they will sell each and every SUV they make none the less.
Old 10-10-2017, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Not sure about the new GTC4Lusso (all wheel drive) but the predecessor FF was never a great seller for Ferrari. I would imagine building a Ferrari SUV in really small numbers would be a good idea. Two factors working against such products for Ferrari. One being the obviously high price and the other being that a typical Ferrari client will not go for the SUV unless he already has another Ferrari in the garage, or two or three... In small numbers they will sell each and every SUV they make none the less.
China will love it!
Old 10-10-2017, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howiebrou View Post
China will love it!
No doubt Howie.
Old 10-10-2017, 10:22 AM
Ultra-Fast 69

Default Ferrari Sport Ute

I got out of fast European cars after looking back at everything entailed with owning several through the years between cost of ownership, which included tickets and the risk factor. At least with audio, your in a safe location at home and except for the on-line buys.

Now I wish I did not stumble on this thread, this will be hard and hopefully with production of limited numbers the price will slap me in the face to snap out of it.

Last edited by For The Love of Music; 10-10-2017 at 10:57 AM.
Old 10-10-2017, 12:11 PM

I have driven the GTC4 Lusso (V12) and it is an amazing supercar with lots of space and can really be used daily.
Old 10-10-2017, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by For The Love of Music View Post
I got out of fast European cars after looking back at everything entailed with owning several through the years between cost of ownership, which included tickets and the risk factor. At least with audio, your in a safe location at home and except for the on-line buys.

Now I wish I did not stumble on this thread, this will be hard and hopefully with production of limited numbers the price will slap me in the face to snap out of it.
Having owned a few myself I don’t really see much point to it any more personally. As much as I tried to enjoy the likes of the 458 and the various F430’s and 360’s to the fullest extent, it was still a limited experience. I did not track them for high risk and cost of maintenance, could not enjoy them to the fullest without serious risk for injury, death or mega fines on the street and even parking and leaving them on the streets was not an easy feeling. Staring at them in the garage also gets old. Still I am glad I got to experience the pleasure of owning such magnificent Italian and German toys without losing my license or money but not going back there again.
Old 10-10-2017, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversurfer6 View Post
I have driven the GTC4 Lusso (V12) and it is an amazing supercar with lots of space and can really be used daily.
I have not driven the Lusso but did drive an FF taking turns with my son when they first came out. Fantastic car but for that kind of money it begs the question of why does one need it. It has tons of power and handling finesse and all wheel drive is great but I don’t know too many owners that would drive one in the snow anyways. So, other than four seats, I didn’t see much point to it. They FF’s are trading in the $150k range now so it was a great way to lose $200k in a few years time for the owners.

Last edited by PHC1; 10-10-2017 at 12:55 PM.
Old 10-10-2017, 01:03 PM

In my mind a preowned 599 GTB in the $150-175k range makes much more sense than what will no doubt be a $250-300k suv from Ferrari. The 599 is still a gorgeous car and has that proper V12, style, pizzazz and no doubt will be highly sought after in years to come. The prices have stabilized which makes it an attractive buy without risk of much depreciation at this point. The SUV will lighten the wallet by at least half in depreciation in no time.
Old 10-10-2017, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Having owned a few myself I don’t really see much point to it any more personally. As much as I tried to enjoy the likes of the 458 and the various F430’s and 360’s to the fullest extent, it was still a limited experience. I did not track them for high risk and cost of maintenance, could not enjoy them to the fullest without serious risk for injury, death or mega fines on the street and even parking and leaving them on the streets was not an easy feeling. Staring at them in the garage also gets old. Still I am glad I got to experience the pleasure of owning such magnificent Italian and German toys without losing my license or money but not going back there again.
I guess it all comes down to what does someone really want to do with their disposable income? Most of us have amazing audio setups, but do we crank them up to full volume all the time? I would bet almost none of us do that. But we can still enjoy the subtleties and other benefits that come along with the system at lower volumes. Same thing with high end cars. No need to drive them at the edge all the time, there are still things that can be appreciated even when driving at sane speeds. Heck, I probably can't use 60% of my Audi S4's ability on public roads, but that doesn't mean I am gonna trade it in on a 10 year old Kia? Nope

Of course I have never owned a Ferrari or other exotic (yet) and had to live with one every day, but I do borrow my friend's cars from time to time