AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Automobiles

Automobiles Need for Speed

Old 09-27-2017, 02:37 PM

Default Porsche Mission E

The latest on the Mission E is that it is on schedule for 2019 availability. Porsche's CEO states that it will cost somewhere around $85k. (you know what Porsche add on do to the pricing) Still this is going to put pressure on Tesla and its pricing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdYg2EPMKiI
Old 09-27-2017, 02:47 PM
Just Pure Lucky

Pretty as can be -- I like the suicide doors (not that I'd have many using them). In thinking of a 4 door Porsche -- what the Panamera should have been designed like IMO.

Should fly with Shunyata, Ansuz or Transparent power harnesses.

Best Sirs,

Bob
Analogue Preamp:VAC Renaissance SE Phono stage in Silver Flake with XLR Output Option & with Nordost Valhalla XLR's.
Analogue Sources:SME 20/2 w/SME V arm & Nordost Odin 2 Tone Arm Cable, Palo Santos Presentation Cartridge & Akai GX-400D Reel-to-Reel w/relapped heads by JRF Magnetic Sciences. Akai RC-17 cabled remote (original owner since 1974).
Vibration Control:TT on HRS M3X2-1921 shelf.
Speakers:Wilson Audio Alexia V (on order in Ferrari Argento Silver/Parchment grills sitting on Acoustic Diode Kit).
Power Cables:4 Nordost Odin Supreme Reference on amps, preamp & DAC. Ansuz Acoustics C2 on Transport & Clock.
Power Distribution:Ansuz Mainz D3 Distributor & Ansuz Mainz C2 1M Power Cable
Power Outlets:Furutech GTX-D NCF (R) duplex outlet, GTX Wall Plate & Duplex Cover (x2) on dedicated, same panel phase, 20A breakers.
Speaker Cables:2M Nordost Odin 2 Supreme Reference on Nordost Sort Lifts. (on Order)
Signal Cables:Nordost Odin XLR's on dCS DAC & Amps.
Digital Cables: Nordost Odin 2's, 110-ohm AES/EBU on dCS Transport to DAC.
Clock Cables:5 each 75 ohm 1.25M Nordost Valhalla BNC/BNC Digital
Ethernet Cable: WireWorld Platinum 1M Starlight® 8 Twinax
Headphones:Vintage Koss Pro IV AA.
RCM: Audio Desk PRO
Tube Test Gear:Mint late '60's/calibrated Heathkit TT-1A, MaxiMatcher Power Amp & Preamp & Space Tech Labs ATT-3.02 tube test sets.
Old 09-27-2017, 02:52 PM

Bob
I am going to take a serious look at the new Panamera Turismo e-Hybrid for my next vehicle. The Mission was E might be a bit small for my neck/back issue.

Old 09-27-2017, 03:50 PM

Philosophical question.

Will brand differentiation be even important in the future as the cars lose their personality traits of what makes a car "different" today in the upcoming "electric era"?

Will it matter that much anymore if it is a Porsche or Mercedes or BMW if they all are able to accelerate 0-60 faster than anything but the fastest of the supercars today? They will all get you from point A to point B with no input required of the driver or the passenger at all in the self driving car age that is just around the corner. A totally passive driving experience of self driving cars that will no doubt obey all traffic laws and offer zero adrenaline rush for the occupants but deliver the precious cargo with outmost efficiency and safety.

Will the next generation appreciate any of the history and quality of today's luxury and sport/supercar brands that can and do still command a premium over the more budget varieties? I doubt it very much.

The future may not even hold "car ownership" per say but may be a simple push of a button or saying the key words out loud to Alexa or similar home integration device that will dispatch a driverless car right to you door to deliver you to your destination as you sit back and browse Facebook, Twitter or whatever else comes down the pike to distract you from all the lonely minutes of the day that need to be occupied in our electronic gadget age.

Enjoy your favorite cars today gentlemen, I fear we are the last generation to truly appreciate the fine automobiles and everything that concept stands for all the way to our death beds. Certainly all the younger generations will witness a total transformation of all things related to transport.

I look at this Porsche Mission E and it does absolutely nothing for me. I couldn't care less if it was a Chevy Volt or a Porsche E or a Tesla that would get me around if my car was all electric. I certainly would not feel compelled to spend more money on a car with a German name that does virtually nothing different from another electric car in the future other than perhaps a nicer trim??? Now imagine how much more irrelevant that will be in the future when ALL the cars are electric or alternative propulsion of some sort and are driverless.... Now throw in the Uber, Lyft and a bunch of other car share, hail, taxi business models that eliminate much of the headaches for the city slickers vs driving their own car to the city...

I do believe people will tend to spend a lot less on cars and hold very little value in owning a car of any type in the future.

Last edited by PHC1; 09-27-2017 at 04:04 PM.
Old 09-27-2017, 05:53 PM
Life is beautiful

Serge, I think you're absolutely right.
In 10-20 more years, the automobile as we know it now will have changed completely.
Much more boring, our driving will become.

But, there are advantages.

First, we'll be quite old by then, and maybe very happy we'll just have to push a button to reach our destination, without having to be 100% alert in the ever busier traffic. Too bad for the younger generations, but they won't know what they miss.

Second, much less accidents, computers are without a doubt more accurate than human beings.

Third, while going from A to B, we'll be able to read, eat, browse through AA, etc. Seems like a very relaxed way of travelling.

Maybe, when cars replaced horses, older people were saying the same thing as we do now.
Indeed, riding on horses back then might have been much more adventurous than driving our cars nowadays...
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 09-28-2017, 08:09 AM

Serge
It is quite possible that owning automobiles as we have know it since the end of WWII will change going forward. Millennials have grown up leasing their television content (Cable or Satellite or internet). They are quickly moving towards renting audio content from streaming services and giving up owing physical media. This is the first generation that will have a lower percentage of home ownership than their parents as many are content (or for financial reasons forced) to rent. The percentage of individuals leasing their vehicles rather than purchasing continues to grow and hit a all time high of 31% in 2016.

Everything you said is trending in that direction.
Old 09-28-2017, 09:15 AM

Today, not all cars with ICE are the same. And in the future not all electric cars will be the same either.
Old 09-28-2017, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoff View Post
Today, not all cars with ICE are the same. And in the future not all electric cars will be the same either.
No doubt but will the next generations care other than yours is red and mine is blue?
Old 09-29-2017, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
No doubt but will the next generations care other than yours is red and mine is blue?

I agree that the next generation in general seems to be less interested in cars (or even owning a home for that matter). But I think that there is still a group that is passionate about sport cars and super cars. That group grew up playing Forza and Gran Turismo video games. Those kids will immediately recognize a GTR from a mile away while older folks will probably think is just an Altima.
Old 10-25-2017, 07:08 PM

The Mission E is getting closer to production as the prototypes show.