AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > What are you Grilling?

What are you Grilling? What's Cooking

Old 12-29-2018, 04:55 PM
That's a Deusy !

Thumbs up Guga Foods

I always considered myself an expert in outdoor grilling....

Guga is a Brazilian living in Miami he does salt rock cooking ,Sous Vide , Do it yourself brisket dry aging searing , reverse searing Charisco picana . His videos are very informative, well produced and highly instructive. his two channels are Guga Foods and Sous Vide everything
Marantz( UD8004,AV8802a ), Oppo udp 203 JLAudio Fathom F-110, B&W( 802 series III , FCMS8, SCMS8) . WireWorld Eclipse 6 xlr(7) Sliver Eclipse 5.2 HDMI (3) electra 5.2 powercords . HRS Nimbus , lg 55 Oled Nvidia Shield PS Audio PPP

System 2 Panasonic G25 Marantz av8003
Old 12-31-2018, 01:58 AM

I have ben watching his vids for about the last 6 months.Definitely 2 good channels.
Aaron
Old 02-20-2019, 10:53 PM

His channels are great, very smart also with all the affiliate links - which he deserves given the quality.

He's putting on a bunch of weight though.
Old 02-21-2019, 01:37 AM

I have been following Guga on his channels for about 18 months. He got me started on Sous Vide cooking. I got the Anova immersion heater, meat racks and two sizes of tanks. On the searing side, I use the sears-all, the flame thrower (very dramatic in front of guests) cast iron pans, the chimney briquette starter and I also use the IR sear burner on my grill. I learned the hard way the three best ways for me to sear fish is with the IR burner on the grill, cast iron pans or the chimney briquette starter. DO NOT use a torch type burner of any type because the flame is too hot for fish. It gets burned before it gets seared.
Old 02-23-2019, 12:20 AM

Have been SVing for 2 years.

In my limited experience, SV is best for:

1) Chefsteps pork shoulder steaks - SVing a whole free range pork shoulder over night, then slicing into steaks and searing or grilling. Tenderizes and intensifies the flavor and it's just the best pork chop . Pork shoulder is the perfect cut also as it's a good mix of fat and lean.

2) Duck confit - Just becomes ridiculously easy.

3) Tempering chocolate - Haven't perfected this yet, but really promising and I'll get it on next try. Makes process very neat and easy. Start making my own choc years back and stopped contributing to Warren Buffet's wealth (See's chocolate). Not hard, better (Valrhona feves, fresher nuts, less sweet), and ridiculously cheap even using the best chocolate.

4) Turkey winglets, thighs, legs - SV then deepfry. Excellent also. Crisp, succulent. If you drain well and air dry in ref overnight, deep frying is not life threatening.

5) Big chamber vac sealer is just incredibly useful not just for SV. Pays for itself by keeping food fresh much longer.

For steaks and roast beef - not sure it's worth the effort. Really good, but it's not too hard to approximate (reverse sear) on stove top, grill or oven and much less fuss.

What it doesn't seem to be good for - pork belly. Get's really tender but doesn't render fat much fat

Haven't tried yet for custard creams (creme brulee, flans, cheese cake) as am watching my sugar. But I can see how it would be really good.

Haven't tried on fish yet.

I have the Nathan Myrhvold and Thomas Keller books and will go through them at some point.

My current priority though is healthy (80% whole food, plant based) eating.