AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Off Topic

General Off Topic Almost anything goes!

Old 01-07-2021, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimtranr View Post
Agreed. In addition, one set of tools I've found useful in evaluating a system is this pair of classical demonstration CDs Delos released in the late 1980s/early 1990s. Their contents consist of whole movements of orchestral compositions recorded by the Delos team.

Just to let others know both of these are available on Tidal.
Old 01-11-2021, 08:58 AM

Also on Amazon music.
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 01-12-2021, 01:11 PM
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
My father also used to have a "shortwave" German Grundig Radio that was his pride and joy. He would listen to stations from half around the world as if it was the window into the free world... I often sat and admired the radio proudly displayed on the table as my father would be "tuning" into various stations with the knobs.

So yes, no doubt audio has touched many audiophiles in one way or another and stuck from the early age, even if subconsciously.
Wow, I forgot... we got a Grundig short wave, I think inherited from my uncle when I was very young... I used to listen to it all the time. You also reminded me that I used to listen to my fathers Glenn Miller compilations when I was 8? This discussion is reminding me how deeply rooted music was in my childhood. I always think of it as a teen age interest... but that was just a change in kind of music that I listened to at that age .
Main: Aurender W20SE music streamer, ARC REF 9SE DAC / CD, Linn LP 12, Koetsu Rosewood SignCartrige, ARC REF 3 Phono Stage, ARC REF 6SE Preamp, ARC 160s amp, Sonus Faber Amati Traditional Speakers,Transparent Ultra IC & SC Library:Aurender N100, Ayre QB9 2020 DAC, Woo WA5-LE amp upgraded tubes, Focal Utopia HP, Sennheiser 800s HP, LCD HP.
Old 01-12-2021, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Prentice View Post
Wow, I forgot... we got a Grundig short wave, I think inherited from my uncle when I was very young... I used to listen to it all the time. You also reminded me that I used to listen to my fathers Glenn Miller compilations when I was 8? This discussion is reminding me how deeply rooted music was in my childhood. I always think of it as a teen age interest... but that was just a change in kind of music that I listened to at that age .
I bet you haven't forgotten the sound of the trombone of Glenn Miller. It is all deeply rooted into us for sure. Funny that I think back and do not find anything objectionable about that very simple all-in-one turntable/system, it reproduced voices very well and I think most people who are not into high end will focus on the vocals more so than any other part of music.

Then again the music genre I heard as a kid mostly had to do with a simple acoustic guitar accompaniment and vocals, no doubt my father's preference in music. I'll have to ask him about that as I don't recall anything else from that time period.
Old 01-12-2021, 09:08 PM
George

Quote:
I bet you haven't forgotten the sound of the trombone of Glenn Miller. It is all deeply rooted into us for sure. Funny that I think back and do not find anything objectionable about that very simple all-in-one turntable/system...
Good memories..

You know, I noticed you have a Woo WA6. I have had a WA6, WA6se... and finally his WA5-Le. If you have some spare funds sometime I REALLY Highly recommend the WA5... It uses 300B tubes... I upgraded with Takatsuki 300b tubes.. It is a jaw dropping... completely different, worlds better, warm... huge midrange bloom... powerful... I can go on and on... if you get the non-LE (i should have) it can drive speakers. It is so powerful it grabbed my Sennheiser 800’s and filled them out and sound a lot like my Utopias (in a good way). It took my headphone system up several levels. Probably caused me to upgrade my main system because it showed how powerful and detailed the midrange should be. Now I have that on my main system as well... the ARC Ref 160s did it. Not syrupy or flabby bass at all. But with the kiss of tube warms to make it so compelling, comfortable, and real.
Main: Aurender W20SE music streamer, ARC REF 9SE DAC / CD, Linn LP 12, Koetsu Rosewood SignCartrige, ARC REF 3 Phono Stage, ARC REF 6SE Preamp, ARC 160s amp, Sonus Faber Amati Traditional Speakers,Transparent Ultra IC & SC Library:Aurender N100, Ayre QB9 2020 DAC, Woo WA5-LE amp upgraded tubes, Focal Utopia HP, Sennheiser 800s HP, LCD HP.

Last edited by George Prentice; 01-12-2021 at 09:15 PM.
Old 01-13-2021, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Prentice View Post
Good memories..

You know, I noticed you have a Woo WA6. I have had a WA6, WA6se... and finally his WA5-Le. If you have some spare funds sometime I REALLY Highly recommend the WA5... It uses 300B tubes... I upgraded with Takatsuki 300b tubes.. It is a jaw dropping... completely different, worlds better, warm... huge midrange bloom... powerful... I can go on and on... if you get the non-LE (i should have) it can drive speakers. It is so powerful it grabbed my Sennheiser 800’s and filled them out and sound a lot like my Utopias (in a good way). It took my headphone system up several levels. Probably caused me to upgrade my main system because it showed how powerful and detailed the midrange should be. Now I have that on my main system as well... the ARC Ref 160s did it. Not syrupy or flabby bass at all. But with the kiss of tube warms to make it so compelling, comfortable, and real.
Thanks George. I have the WA5 in mind.
Old 01-13-2021, 04:49 PM
Member of the Music Squad

Quote:
Serge, not the Brocksieper EarMax-Pro OTL?
Sonus Faber Elipsa SE | REL S/812 | Goldmund Telos 280 | EAR Yoshino 912 | Merason DAC1 | Innuos ZENith Mk3 | Clearaudio Innovation Basic + TT5 + Lyra Delos | Studer A810+A807 | Nakamichi Dragon | RDacoustic Hybrid Acoustic Diffuser
Old 01-13-2021, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joel_hifi View Post
Serge, not the Brocksieper EarMax-Pro OTL?
I have owned the EarMax and EarMaxPro for many years Joel. My friend is enjoying my EarMaxPro and promised to return it some day. It has been a few years, should I worry?
Old 01-13-2021, 08:26 PM
George

Quote:
You will not be sorry!
Old 01-16-2021, 12:36 PM

As it applies to my original post in this thread and a philosophical way of looking at the reality of high fidelity.

Easy to get carried away with the perfect reproduction of sound and being true to the music but I think in the end, one should focus more on the actual enjoyment that is derived from the system and try to please the inner music lover rather than the perfectionist.

A brief video that serves as a reminder that what we hear on our end is far from perfect music reproduction as it happened in that moment of time-space.

It is not about one media being superior or inferior, it is about the recording, mixing and mastering process that goes into every bit of music we listen to on our ends.

How to master for Vinyl. https://youtu.be/D4ghoTVXHxs