AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Bryston Audio

Bryston Audio Unlimited, Unprecedented, Unequalled

Old 02-10-2020, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a2k2000 View Post
I was yearning for a player like this and thanks Bryston. My 2 channel and surround sound systems are one and the same. Currently have an Oppo feeding audio and video into an SP3 via HDMI - the SP3 does the decoding and pre-amplification and feeds the Parasound JC1 amp via XLR.= which driver my speakers.

1. If I use the BDA 3.1.4 for music listening should I just directly connect the BDA 3.1.4 to the amps and use the digital volume or should I connect it to the XLR inputs of the SP3 and run the SP3 in Pure Direct Mode wherein only the analog pre-amplification is used and not processing of the signal is done. Which do you think would be better.

2. Say in the above said scenario I am watching movies I run HDMI in to the Bryston from the Oppo and then the HDMI out of the BDA 1.3 is connected to the SP3 for decoding can the Bryston pass the HDMi signal untouched.

1. If I run a HDMI out from the Oppo to the BDA3.1.4 when playing SACD's and when I want to watch movies can I JUSfor SACD disc bitstream decoding. The question is when I start watching movies if I run a HDMI cable from the output of the BDA 3.1.4 to the Bryston will it pass through decoded audio and video to the Bryston.

2. The second question is do I connect the the BDA 3.1.4 directly to the Parasound JC1 amsp via XLR's or do I go

Hi

I can answer 1. - Connected the 3.14 to the SP3.

Email Mike on the HDMI questions please - mpickett@bryston.com

james
Old 02-10-2020, 04:22 PM

Hi Folks,

Please have a look at this excellent in depth review of our new BDP-3.14 Preamp/Streamer/DAC from Secrets of Home Theater & High Fidelity Magazine.

As PMC would say - "It's a real Corker"

Please note the extensive measurements John took and the excellance of the results - especially the noise floor and rejection of jitter.

james

PS - warning - It's 11 pages!

HI Folks - email me if you want the PDF - jamestanner@bryston.com

james
Old 02-28-2020, 08:50 PM

MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: Bryston 3.14 Customer Feedback

February 2020

Hi James,

I need to pass on to you a message from a customer. - Stan in Engineering

Name: Walter

He seems to have very extensive experience in high end audio. His main message after running a series of test in the last few days, was that we need to patent BDA3.14 as soon as possible because we came up with something that is unbeatable in performance, which no other DAC+streamer producers are able to match and thus are bound to rip us off, if we won't file a patent (software and hardware) as soon as possible!

He was testing BDA3.14 with BP17 and very high end 40k$ speakers against other DACs and streamer, such as MSB Tech. DAC, and others.

I am paraphrasing but he said that nothing sounds as BDA3.14. The difference between the other high end DACs and streamers is more than a class above, it is in an entirely new category that he said redefines the way digital audio will be measured.

He said what we have done in reclocking the Pi digital signal is a class better than any other DAC. He said that, in his perception, it seems to regenerate the clocking removing the jitter from the original contents to the extent that even old digital sources sound astoundingly better.

He used terms like the 3.14 is an 11 on a scale of 10!
Old 03-02-2020, 09:02 AM

SUBJECT: Bryston 3.14 Best of Show (Preamp/Streamer/DAC)

The Best of Florida Audio Expo 2020
Bryston BDA-3.14 DAC

Bryston’s BDA-3 digital-to-analog converter has long been praised by audio reviewers for offering state-of-the-art sound quality and a host of features for a very reasonable price. Those features include a plethora of digital inputs -- four HDMI, two USB, one AES/EBU (XLR), one S/PDIF (RCA), one S/PDIF (BNC), and one S/PDIF (TosLink) -- as well as user-adjustable upsampling for some inputs, and resolutions of up to 32-bit/384kHz PCM and DSD512 (both via USB).

Now, for just $400 more, the new BDA-3.14, which Bryston demonstrated at FAE 2020, adds to the BDA-3 an Ethernet port, built-in streaming (Qobuz and Tidal are supported), and a digital volume control that lets you bypass a preamplifier altogether and connect the BDA-3.14 directly to a power amp -- something Jeff now does in his home system.

For me, what most matters is the BDA-3.14’s built-in streamer. As I listened, I began mentioning obscure albums to Bryston’s Gary Dayton, who immediately turned to the computer screen behind him and cued them up to play via the BDA-3.14’s browser-based interface. That convenience of streaming is a handy thing to have built right into a DAC – GOOD JOB, BRYSTON , for taking the BDA-3 to a new level for not much more retail cost.

Doug Schneider
Soundstage Magazine
Old 03-06-2020, 09:22 PM

SUBJECT: Bryston Demo Florida Audio Expo 2020

POSITIVE FEEDBACK MAGAZINE

Florida Audio Expo 2020:
Better the Second Time Around,

By Maurice Jeffries

The Bryston room knocked the ball out of the proverbial ballpark with a system fronted by the superb new Rega P10 turntable and matching Apheta 3 cartridge.

Rega Aria phono stage, a Bryston integrated amp (B135 Cubed) and a Preamp/Server/DAC combo unit (the BDA-3.14),

Chord Sarum cabling, and Fyne F205 speakers (these using coaxially mounted drivers like those employed by Tannoy).

My notes described the superb sound as "full-bodied and transient rich. Great staging and overall clarity. Stunning overall musicality and coherence. Beck's Morning Phase LP, various pop and jazz digital streams, and just about everything else we played sounded really swell, with great dynamic expression and laser focus."

This was among the two or three most entertaining systems I heard all weekend.

A Best Of Show contender.
Old 03-27-2020, 02:53 PM

Hi Folks,

I have a PDF of the Bryston 3.14 DAC/Streamer/Preamp from StereoLife Review Magazine in Europe.

Warning its 9 pages!

jamestanner@bryston.com
Old 03-27-2020, 08:55 PM

Location: Lago Vista Texas Downtown Austin and Frisco Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Tanner - Bryston View Post
Hi Folks,

Please have a look at this excellent in depth review of our new BDP-3.14 Preamp/Streamer/DAC from Secrets of Home Theater & High Fidelity Magazine.

As PMC would say - "It's a real Corker"

Please note the extensive measurements John took and the excellance of the results - especially the noise floor and rejection of jitter.

james

PS - warning - It's 11 pages!

HI Folks - email me if you want the PDF - jamestanner@bryston.com

james

Very impressive!

https://hometheaterhifi.com/technica...series-part-2/
Old 04-12-2020, 04:00 AM

Default How to play DSD on 3.14 through the SP3?

My 3.14 is connected via XLR to the SP3. I’m playing DSD files via a network drive. Only 2ch via BAL 1 plays through the SP3.
How do I connect the 3.14 to the SP3 for it to play DSD?
Old 04-12-2020, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie View Post
My 3.14 is connected via XLR to the SP3. I’m playing DSD files via a network drive. Only 2ch via BAL 1 plays through the SP3.
How do I connect the 3.14 to the SP3 for it to play DSD?
Hi Ollie

Email Mike to make sure but I do not think the 3.14 does not play Native DSD - it downsamples it to 192. The BDP-3 plays DSD Native.

mpickett@bryston.com

james
Old 04-16-2020, 09:06 AM

HI Folks,

The Bryston BDP 3.14 DAC/Streamer/Preamplifier gets PRODUCT OF THE YEAR in Germany!

james