AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-09-2017, 02:38 AM

Default Blasphemy to use "Tone Controls" on Mc Pre-Amp?

I have always thought it was a big no-no to use any type of equalizer on a receiver or pre amp or processor. I have always been taught that you want everything to sound as it should in the "flat" or no-filtering configuration because if you adjust something you are adding something to the system that is adding distortion, or altering the sound in a way that wasn't intended. I guess this is a very purest way of looking at things.

As I look closer at the Mc Pre-amps, there are often times tone controls for several different frequencies. I am using a Mc MX132 processor and B&W N804 speakers. Lately I have started to notice that at times the speakers tend to be a bit bright, and this is worse if the recording was done poorly. The problem is that the early N series B&Ws were sort of known to be a little more bright, but most people feel like the Mc is a great match since they tend to be so silky smooth. I haven't really noticed this a lot in the past, so I am not sure if it is my hearing is changing or maybe different music that I am listening to.

That being said, I don't have the funds to go out and purchase the new 804 diamond speakers that are supposed to be a little less bright. I have considered a few different solutions (replace my tweeter with the "signature" tweeter and see if that helps, make some changes to my Xover in the speakers, both of the above).

As I got to looking at more of the Mc stuff, I kind of got to wondering if I might try and turn my "treble" control down 1-2 db. Turns out that this lowers or raises the sound at 10,000hz. So I tried it (nothing to lose) and it seems to have tamed the tweeter a little bit. I am not sure if this is a permanent solution, as it might be effecting the sound in a negative way (as mentioned above) or if I should start pursuing the other methods to possibly "fix" it.

What is the general thought on adjusting these controls?