AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Audio Research

Audio Research State of the Art Audio Reproduction

Old 03-14-2012, 11:47 PM

Based on your requirements, D'Agostino monos. Lamms are richer but not as liquid. Have not heard Constellation or Classe but D'ags are best pure ss I've ever heard. Not stark like most ss but a little sweet yet not colored. Lamms best hybrids.
Wilson Alexia V, ARC Ref 160M MkII,Ref 40,Ref Phono2SE, Shunyata Triton3, Typhon, Sigma PCs, ICs & SCs, Spectral SDR4000SV (w MIT IC), Belcanto PL1, Oppo 205, Marantz 2270 (tuner only):AudioDesk and VPI record cleaners, Furutech Demag & Destat; Stillpoint Apertures, TechDas AF 3S Premium with SAT CF9 and Kuzma 4pt 9" arms, Lyra Atlas Lambda SL, Dynavector XV1-t stereo and XV1-s mono carts, Miyajima mono, Shure V15VxMR,
Old 03-15-2012, 02:01 AM

I can easily have Moon M880 delivered for audition, but with W7M, I never felt extra power is needed, I just want to have the similar power and speed but with liquidity/sweetness added, that mean it has to be from there brand. OH how could I forget the most reasonable priced amplifier, the 600w Classe' .
But this is an upgrade, so I must be really sure that it 's an improvement over current amp. So I have my eyes/ears on something in the 30k-50k range. Not that I want to pay more, but I have to be sure that it's truly an upgrade, not just for change.

I had Moon P8RS before, and due to its low gain. even with volume at 70-75, I had loudness, but not punch and dynamic that I had from Levinson 326s/Pass XP20 or Ref5, so I sold it and get Ref 40 instead. I think my Esoteric provide rather low output, so preamp/amp combination must have rather higher gain than usual. P8+W7M work really fine with Moon's great sounding Andromeda.

Back to amplifier,I will keep close look to Constellation new Mono block and Momentum. Hopefully the price ( locally) will be right and reasonable.

Thanks, oh I really do recommend this disc, to test your system's dynamic and transparency. this BD disc require Dolby True HD decoder ,however.

http://www.audioaficionado.org/music...z-concert.html

Last edited by TOGA; 03-15-2012 at 04:48 AM.
Old 03-15-2012, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGA
I can easily have Moon M880 delivered for audition, but with W7M, I never feel the need of extra power, I just want to have the similar power and speed but with liquidity/sweetness added. OH how could I forget the most reasonable priced amplifier, the 600w Classe' .
But this is an upgrade, so I must be really sure that it 's an improvement over current amp. So I have my eyes/ears on something in the 30k-50k range. Not that I want to pay more, but I have to be sure that it's truely an upgrade.

I had Moon P8RS before, and due to its low gain. even with volume at 70-75, I had loudness, but not punch and dynamic that I had from Levinson 326s/Pass XP20 or Ref5, so I sold it and get Ref 40 instead. I think my Esoteric provide rather low output, so preamp/amp combination must have rather higher gain than usual. P8+W7M work really fine with Moon's great sounding Andromeda.

Back to amplifier,I will keep close look to Constellation new Mono block and Momentum. Hopefully the price ( locally) will be right and reasonable.

Thanks, oh I really do recommend this disc, to test your system's dynamic and transparency. this BD disc require Dolby True HD decoder ,however.

http://www.audioaficionado.org/music...z-concert.html
Talk to Doug Dale at Coda Technologies. They have a new 60.0 monoblock amp. Class A. It sounds amazing, as do their 15.0 and 33.0.

They have massive power supplies and current delivery, great speaker control, and a rich, golden tone.

Price is reasonable considering the performance of the amps.

Also check out the Gryphon Colosseum if you want to spend much more for some sonic gain. And a LOT of aesthetic gain!! One of the nicest looking amps around, IMHO.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:00 AM

I like Gryphon more, and there is nice and friendly dealer here too. But I remember they have low input impedance too. Only the mono Solo that has higher impedance. But cost !

Right now I doubt my future amp plan, as I try various AC plug/IEC on AC cables feeding Moon and found that I can improve/change character of the amps very cheaply and almost easily. That's how transparent this Moon amps are. Gold plated plugs bring extra sweetness/liquidity to the sound, soundfield is diffused less focused, mid/treble much smoother and more extended. Only the bass of this Wattgate gold that is never as strong or tight as std. hospital grade plug. So I almost getting sound that I am looking for with only $xxx.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:50 AM

Since I'm a Bryston fan, I'm gonna suggest the 28B-SST2's whose reviews mentioned many times about their tube-like sound with SS muscle (even though you don't need all the power.)

Another reasonably priced contender could be Parasound Halo JC1 krub.
Old 03-15-2012, 04:33 PM

Just out of curiosity did you try the Ref150? I always preferred the 110's over the 210's - it always seemed to be a bit more dynamic. I know it has less power than the 150's have but it may be worth a try. It may just give you what you are missing with the 250's.

M.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klao View Post
Since I'm a Bryston fan, I'm gonna suggest the 28B-SST2's whose reviews mentioned many times about their tube-like sound with SS muscle (even though you don't need all the power.)

Another reasonably priced contender could be Parasound Halo JC1 krub.
I agree. I've heard this amp a lot and it struck me as very lush, warm and liquid sounding, coupled with limitless dynamics and punch that only 1kw of power can produce. This amp in fact sounds a lot more liquid than the vtl amps that I've likewise heard at the local dealers showroom.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dafos View Post
I agree. I've heard this amp a lot and it struck me as very lush, warm and liquid sounding, coupled with limitless dynamics and punch that only 1kw of power can produce. This amp in fact sounds a lot more liquid than the vtl amps that I've likewise heard at the local dealers showroom.
Yes, but is it a good match with the REF 40? Only ones ears can tell.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:32 AM
Inexperienced

i don't know about ref40, but recently i tried boulder amp with ref5, the sound isn't as good as i expected, more power than ref150, but the sound is boring...

have you considered karan amp ?
Old 03-16-2012, 11:48 AM

Can't really say ARC REF40A and Bryston 28B's are good match, but my Bryston 7B's sound quite OK with the preamp, though the speakers I'm using are certainly not as revealing as the Magico Q3.

I can ask the local dealer to bring the amps for khun TOGA to try.