AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > B&W Speakers

B&W Speakers Bowers & Wilkins Greatest

Old 03-08-2018, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samac View Post
I'm looking for a new more powerful amp for my B&Ws as well. Any recommendations for a pre/amp combination or integrated in the ~$3k range.

I have a large room (L28xW26xH8-11ft) and sit about 14' from the speakers. Would like ~200 watts. I have a few amps on my shortlist but would like to see what other members with B&W speakers might suggest. Tone, timbre and power or more of priority for me than ultimate detail and resolution. Thanks for any suggestions.

Cheers,

Scott
Scott - I have a Parasound P5 Pre-Amp with a Parasound A21 - 250 Watts per channel with B&W 702s2s. It's still new to me, but I'm liking the combination so far. The P5/A21 combo would be in the $3500 range.
Old 03-09-2018, 09:01 AM

Welcome btanchors

Thanks for the reply and suggestion. I auditioned at length the Parasound P5/A21 combination. With the B&W 702 S2 and Parasound you have a fantastic system, enjoy.

I ended up going with a NuPrime IDA-16; a 200 watt dac/integrated. It was a lot easier on the budget. I am very happy with it. Sometime in the future I would like to revisit the P5/A21 combo.

Cheers,

Scott
Old 03-09-2018, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merkinman View Post
I'm looking for an amplifier and wanted to get your opinions on what would be a good match. I know warmer and smoother usually has better synergy with the B&W sound. Classe, Rotel, and Mcintosh are known to be a good match. Anything else out there that you would recommend? Parasound? The new Brystons? W4S? Thanks in advance for your input.
I had my B&W 800 D2’s driven initially by an ATI Signature 6007 and then Mark Levinson 536’s. The ATI delivers about 90% of the sq of the Mark Levinsons. The ATI is very affordable. In my auditions, I found the ATI to be superior to Bryston (model forgotten) and McIntosh 601’s. You should seriously consider the ATI for value and sound quality.
Old 03-16-2018, 07:36 AM

I have Bryston SST2's on my 800D2's and 802D2's with a SST powering the HTM2D2. Clean, dynamic, powerful, I couldn't ask for anything better.
Old 03-25-2018, 08:02 AM

Two weeks ago i auditioned the 800D3 and 802D3 with an expensive McIntosh first.
It was nice and... Had some... Hmmm. Authority. Know what i mean? But it was WAY to warm for my old ears. And not really impressive at all (Wadia-CD-Player directly via XLR).
Then we switched to a newer Pass-Amp. Wow! Way better. Way more open. Tighter bass than Mc, but always right and deep enough. You can hear more details. It's just that: Clean.

At home it's paired with a german Nubert NuPower A. OK, the page is in german, but the technical data can be read:
https://www.nubert.de/nupower-a/p2635/?category=225
Can be compared with PowerAmps costing three times the money. Big recommendation for the budget.
Old 06-07-2018, 04:15 AM

I have listened to the B&W 803 D3 with the Esoteric C0-3Xs (Pre amp) and S-03 (power amp). Beautifull.
Old 06-07-2018, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBP View Post
Two weeks ago i auditioned the 800D3 and 802D3 with an expensive McIntosh first.
It was nice and... Had some... Hmmm. Authority. Know what i mean? But it was WAY to warm for my old ears. And not really impressive at all (Wadia-CD-Player directly via XLR).
Then we switched to a newer Pass-Amp. Wow! Way better. Way more open. Tighter bass than Mc, but always right and deep enough. You can hear more details. It's just that: Clean.

At home it's paired with a german Nubert NuPower A. OK, the page is in german, but the technical data can be read:
https://www.nubert.de/nupower-a/p2635/?category=225
Can be compared with PowerAmps costing three times the money. Big recommendation for the budget.
Which Mcintosh amps did you listen to?
Old 06-08-2018, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike175gr View Post
Which Mcintosh amps did you listen to?
I didn't wrote it down, but the two IA were in the 10k and 12k$-region and really burnt in at one of the dealers Listening Room.
Cables were Audioquest Wind and Aspen.
Old 06-10-2018, 12:41 AM
Blown & Injected

Hmmm ... It is quite possible that the autoformer taps chosen on the Mc were wrong for the speakers.
Old 06-10-2018, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacman View Post
Hmmm ... It is quite possible that the autoformer taps chosen on the Mc were wrong for the speakers.
So, Mcs can really sound "brilliant"? Hmmm. If the answer is yes, i'll rethink what to buy next year.