AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Bryston Audio

Bryston Audio Unlimited, Unprecedented, Unequalled

Old 01-08-2017, 05:55 PM
Racing Hoopties

Quote:
Originally Posted by scirica View Post
I just opened up the Tidal app on Silenzio, did the software update and now playing Master quality albums to my Esoteric K-03X. Going to play around for a bit and see how this compared to hi-rez files on my server!

Steve, How do you search for MQA music in Tidal from within Roon? Craig
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches with fiber in between powered with Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other: GIK & Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three dedicated 20 Amp lines w/Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona 5 Shelf rack, Roon sometimes running self made convolution filters
Old 01-08-2017, 06:04 PM

For this I can't use Roon, using the Tidal app on Silenzio straight to Esoteric.
Supporting System: McIntosh MX122 A/V Center; MC205 Amplifier; Bryston 14bSST2 Amplifier; PS Audio P10 Power Reconditioner; Revel Salon 2 Mains; Revel Voice 2 CC; JL Audio f113v2 (2); JL Audio CR-1 Crossover; Focal IC1002 Surrounds
Old 01-08-2017, 06:13 PM

It looks like it is desktop only right now. Any word on when they will open it up to the other sources like Aurender, auralic, iPhone app, iPad app?
Old 01-08-2017, 06:27 PM
Racing Hoopties

Default MQA Discussion

Hmm, as I wrote last night, when I streamed 'idina' via Roon on the Silenzio, it came through as 24/48 when I checked the source trail button in the title. I assumed that was MQA as I have never heard of anything but CD 16/44.1 being streamed.
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches with fiber in between powered with Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other: GIK & Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three dedicated 20 Amp lines w/Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona 5 Shelf rack, Roon sometimes running self made convolution filters

Last edited by crwilli; 01-08-2017 at 06:29 PM.
Old 01-08-2017, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crwilli View Post
Hmm, as I wrote last night, when I streamed 'idina' via Roon on the Silenzio, it came through as 24/48 when I checked the source trail button in the title. I assumed that was MQA as I have never heard of anything but CD 16/44.1 being streamed.
On my system Idina shows up as MQA 96k.
Old 01-08-2017, 06:33 PM
Racing Hoopties

It's a mystery of fine spoils!
Old 01-08-2017, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avid View Post
It looks like it is desktop only right now. Any word on when they will open it up to the other sources like Aurender, auralic, iPhone app, iPad app?
If you mark desired MQA albums as favorites in the desktop app (they're listed under the 'Masters' heading), then they show up in your Tidal favorites accessible with many other product specific apps. I know that this works with Bluesound products, and have read that it works similarly with many others. Tidal really needs to have MQA albums somehow flagged so they're clearly indicated as such in their icons and made searchable.
Old 01-08-2017, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio bill View Post
If you mark desired MQA albums as favorites in the desktop app (they're listed under the 'Masters' heading), then they show up in your Tidal favorites accessible with many other product specific apps. I know that this works with Bluesound products, and have read that it works similarly with many others. Tidal really needs to have MQA albums somehow flagged so they're clearly indicated as such in their icons and made searchable.

I guess the second question is when you play these files do they display the master emblem or the hifi emblem, as I believe if it says hifi it's not doing the MQA but yet down grading it to cd quality.
Old 01-08-2017, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Family Progtitioner View Post
Why? Isn't the mqa being decoded in the software and then a simple pcm stream sent to one's dac? I don't understand the role of the mqa dac besides decoding the stream further down the chain than the software.

I guess you are correct. I didn't set this up until today (Tidal App for Windows) and now see that it is being decoded in the app. Pretty cool and now Roon says they will do the same in a future release of that software (1.3.x). Fun times!
Supporting System: McIntosh MX122 A/V Center; MC205 Amplifier; Bryston 14bSST2 Amplifier; PS Audio P10 Power Reconditioner; Revel Salon 2 Mains; Revel Voice 2 CC; JL Audio f113v2 (2); JL Audio CR-1 Crossover; Focal IC1002 Surrounds
Old 01-08-2017, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scirica View Post
I guess you are correct. I didn't set this up until today (Tidal App for Windows) and now see that it is being decoded in the app. Pretty cool and now Roon says they will do the same in a future release of that software (1.3.x). Fun times!

Honestly I was just asking. I don't know either way. It doesn't make business sense to me to charge for mqa license for Dacs if they don't make a difference.

Here's another typical problem with these new formats, nobody knows any specifics and the sound improvements are going to be null for the general public