AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Bryston Audio

Bryston Audio Unlimited, Unprecedented, Unequalled

Old 05-14-2018, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Tanner - Bryston View Post
Yes a phono stage is needed - if you have a cartridge below 5mV try that.

james

I am confused now. The OP said that he owns a Parasound JC3 preamp. The JC3 preamp has a phono input. So why does he need another phono stage? [emoji848]
Old 05-21-2018, 03:31 PM

Is it true that speaker setup is specific to input? For Balanced 1 and 2, I'd like there to be no crossover to the subs, whereas for Satellite and DVD I'd like to crossover to the subs.

db
Old 05-22-2018, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbphd View Post
Is it true that speaker setup is specific to input? For Balanced 1 and 2, I'd like there to be no crossover to the subs, whereas for Satellite and DVD I'd like to crossover to the subs.

db

Yes it is true. Just select any source, then go to source set up and you will by see an option named "CROSSOVER". You can choose whatever crossover point you want for every source.
You can check this out by yourself. It will take you less than 15 seconds to check this.
Old 05-22-2018, 01:42 PM

Sorry, I must have known that, because when I checked the setup for Bal 1 the main fronts are set to large.

db
Old 05-23-2018, 05:20 PM

One topic I never read about in this forum on the SP3 is its proprietary surround codec. I am speaking particularly of Stereo7 7.1. When playing most red book sources through my BDP2, I use it 90% of the time and Dolby Prologic IIx the other 10%. I find Stereo7 7.1 to be highly engaging and when I switch to stereo, the sound stage collapses. Keep in mind I am using a 7.1 configuration and all the drivers are the same. In fact, I own the BDA3, and I like Stereo7 7.1 better than it in 2 channel. Has anyone else tried to use Stereo7 7.1 or Dolby Prologic IIx music? Try them before you laugh at me. You may never go back to Stereo again.
Old 05-29-2018, 11:00 AM

For those of you with both the SP-3 and the BDA-3, how does the DAC in the SP-3 stack up? I am hoping to simplify my system some. I do watch video a lot, using my 2 channel system. As the BDA-3 hdmi switcher only has one HDMI 2.0 input (I want at least 2), I am using a separate (cranky) HDMI switcher. Getting an HDMI pre-pro would help there, and allow some self-powered surrounds. Just wondering. Thanks.
Old 05-30-2018, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones13 View Post
For those of you with both the SP-3 and the BDA-3, how does the DAC in the SP-3 stack up?
I own both and in 2 channel, the BDA3 is in another sonic league than the SP3 playing back in stereo. However, for music surround, the SP3 trumps it. With 2 channel stereo up converted to 7.1 Stereo7 7.1 or Dolby Pro-logic Iix music with a lowly 44.1/16 PCM sampling rate, the SP3 sounds better than 2 channel 192/24 PCM or DSD through the BDA3. Its a rarity, but every now and then, I will find some stereo sources unsuitable for 7.1 up conversion, but its not often. Keep in mind that my mains are full range speakers that share the same drivers as the center and surround speakers.
Old 06-03-2018, 08:13 PM

Default Any role for 10B with SP3?

James, I bought a used 10B with XLR connectors with the aim of placing it between my Ayre KX-5 Twenty and VX-5 Twenty to high-pass KEF LS50s. But Charles Hansen strongly discouraged putting anything between the preamp and amp. So the box remains unopened. I wonder if it might add value to the SP3 for low-pass to a pair of Velodyne HGS-15s. Perhaps I should just try to sell it.

db
Old 06-04-2018, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbphd View Post
James, I bought a used 10B with XLR connectors with the aim of placing it between my Ayre KX-5 Twenty and VX-5 Twenty to high-pass KEF LS50s. But Charles Hansen strongly discouraged putting anything between the preamp and amp. So the box remains unopened. I wonder if it might add value to the SP3 for low-pass to a pair of Velodyne HGS-15s. Perhaps I should just try to sell it.

db
Hi

Is there a particular reason that Charles discourages inserting the crossover ? Because it would really help relieve the KEF's from the low frequency duties and really open up the system.

james
Old 06-05-2018, 05:07 AM

James,

IIRC, it had to do with the zero feedback design used in those components. Charles Hansen was adamant about not inserting anything between the KX-5 Twenty preamp and VX-5 Twenty amp. Of course, they are my components, so I could try it anyway. Freeing the LS50s of LF duties might more than compensate for any zero feedback nicety. I assume the 10B is fully balanced, is that correct? Perhaps it's time to unpack it -- I've seen only photos.

At Hansen's suggestion, the unbalanced output from the preamp goes to a Velodyne SMS-1 bass manager that provides acoustic room correction for a pair of HGS-10s. I doubt high-passing to the LS50s would affect that arrangement.

db