AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Sonus Faber

Sonus Faber Italy's Best

Old 04-15-2018, 09:38 AM

This thread have been really quiet lately?.....
Old 04-16-2018, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicmatter View Post
I'm thinking of upgrading my power amps as I think the Olympica s need more power. The dialogue 7 is only 70watt per channel. Was thinking of going hybrid. My preamp is Primaluna dialogue 3 tube and was thinking of getting the Mcintosh MC301 monoblocks solid state. Need your expertise and opinion wether they are a good match for the Olympica lll.
I like extended bright highs, immersive mids, weighty bass. Wide and dynamic soundstage. I don't like warm and dark sound. Please help.
Sonus Faber Olympica III sounded really good with McIntosh C52+MC452. McIntosh C47 is same than C52 without blue meters, eq and less input/output connectors.
Old 04-19-2018, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xv21 View Post
Sonus Faber Olympica III sounded really good with McIntosh C52+MC452. McIntosh C47 is same than C52 without blue meters, eq and less input/output connectors.
Tks for the reply xv21,
Ok I might audition the mc452 but the shop doesn't sell sonus faber. They sell focal speakers so when I go for audition I can only hear the mc452 hook to focal speakers. What's the point right? Well I don't have a choice. The other thing is that I'm using a monoblock tube amps. Coming from that to a solid single amp makes me wonder if it will get better or worst. From Primaluna Dialogue 7 monoblock tube amp 70watts to a Mcintosh Mc452 solid state 450watts.

And another thing, I took the plunge and bought a new pre-amp. The ARC LS28 and was wondering if it could match with any Mcintosh amps? Why not get ARC amps? They are way above my budget and Mcintosh is more affordable for me, besides I want to try hybrid this time, tube preamp with solid state amps.
Why do you guys think? Is it odd to use ARC pre with Mcintosh amps?
Old 04-22-2018, 05:09 PM

Hi there. I am newly registered but I have been following this forum for a long time.

I have a question about the Olympica 3's net weight: is it still 44kg/97lbs per loudspeaker?

I am wondering because on the new Sonus faber's website, it is said to be 36kg/79.3lbs. I directly asked them, telling them that on the official documents (owner's manual, commercial leaflets, etc.) it has been 44kg/97lbs since their 2013 official introduction and release. I thought it might be a mistake on the new website. They answered me that they "have verified with their warehouse and the correct weight is 36kg/79.3." They then apologized for "the typing mistake in the owner's manual" (their words).

I have to confess that I am puzzled now. Would it mean that the loudpseaker weighs 36kg/79.3lbs and the metal base (with the feet) weighs 8kg/17.6lbs?

Or would it mean that the components in the loudpspeaker have been changed to reduce the Olympica 3's weight? (which I highly doubt. Otherwise we and the press would have already been told by Sonus faber).

I also highly doubt that Sonus faber would have made a mistake about Olympica 3's weight on their website and in their official documents since 2013 without ever noticing it (the Olympica line was essential in 2013 since it replaced the Cremona line and was a new work from the Tezzon/Cucuzza team).

So where is the truth?

Last edited by Bacchus; 04-23-2018 at 06:22 AM.
Old 04-23-2018, 03:23 AM

Bacchus, welcome to the Forum
Old 05-10-2018, 11:48 PM

I had the chance to audition the ARC LS28 pre with ARC ref75SE amp and Olympica lll at the local audio store. I must say I was blown away. First track I played was Cecile Mclorin's Mad about the boy and noticed how massive the soundstage is, her voice was immersive as if I was seating right in front of her in a club. The sonics was extremely detail I could hear every instrument in different space and depth. The bass wow! It had weight but controlled, it when low and precise tone. Immediately I was sold.
So I took the plunge and got the ARC LS28 pre combined with ARC ref75SE amp.
Just breaking it in for about 70hrs now so can't give much comment about the sound as u know it could sound different in my square room. But sounds pretty darn good at the moment. I heard it needs about 600hrs to get full potential of these babies. I have a long way to go and I can't run it 24hrs because it is not recommended on tube amps.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:57 PM

Just got the Olympica 3’s today! Looking forward to finding the right placement and getting everything dialed in.
Old 06-05-2018, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0b View Post
Just got the Olympica 3’s today! Looking forward to finding the right placement and getting everything dialed in.
Congrats on ur O3's. Please take ur time on placement, it's very particular on how u position it. And if u bought it new then it takes at least 300hrs of break in.
Have fun with it!
Old 06-05-2018, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicmatter View Post
Congrats on ur O3's. Please take ur time on placement, it's very particular on how u position it. And if u bought it new then it takes at least 300hrs of break in.
Have fun with it!
Will do! I read that they like having space away from walls. Is there any need to break them in prior to positioning? They already sound great and my wife commented on their imaging capabilities.

I’ve read about the iron chef / master set method for speaker positioning and am planning to try it when I have a free afternoon.

Like others in this forum have posted, I am curious to try them with the ports on the inside vs outside, though I don’t expect much difference based on the symmetrical layout of the room.
Old 06-08-2018, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0b View Post
Will do! I read that they like having space away from walls. Is there any need to break them in prior to positioning? They already sound great and my wife commented on their imaging capabilities.

I’ve read about the iron chef / master set method for speaker positioning and am planning to try it when I have a free afternoon.

Like others in this forum have posted, I am curious to try them with the ports on the inside vs outside, though I don’t expect much difference based on the symmetrical layout of the room.
I have mine 4' from side and back wall but all depends on ur room n preference. This position gives more weight on the lows. Position ur speakers as for now and do it again after 300hrs or so. I position the port facing outwards notice just slightly better tone on the lows, again still depends on the acoustics of ur room.
If u don't mind me asking what amp r u using to drive the O3's?

Last edited by sonicmatter; 06-08-2018 at 03:02 AM.