AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Bryston Audio

Bryston Audio Unlimited, Unprecedented, Unequalled

Old 03-14-2018, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Tanner - Bryston View Post
Hi

We have mentioned it to PMC - that we could do a PMC version but they have not responded yet.

One of the issues is that the BAX-1 is really a very specialized crossover. All other active crossovers I am aware of just provide the customer with a 'generic' approach to adjustments. By that I mean you can choose the slope and the crossover point and sometimes the Q but they do not take into account the 'Sound Power' or total radiated energy of the speaker.

The BAX-1 on the other hand is designed with a specific speaker in mind. The Model T has different software then the Middle T and the Mini T has different software again. The reason for that is we put each of the Model T's in our anechoic chamber and we make over 300 measurements but vertically and horizontally around the speaker and adjust the software to provide as accurate as possible the best Sound Power for the specific Model T speaker.

One of the reasons PMC may not want to go with the BAX-1 is because just having generic crossover points and slopes based on their passive crossover may not be sophisticated enough given the quality of their speakers.

Hope this helps explain it a bit.

james
Thanks for the prompt response. I now realize the all the work involved to set parameters for different loudspeakers!
Old 03-28-2018, 10:46 AM

MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: Bryston Middle T Active – Customer Feedback

March 2018

Hi James

Model T Active vs Middle T Active

So far my initial impression with the new Middle T Actives is a very similar clean, neutral and refined presentation!

The Middle T speakers are brand new...and I must crank up the volume a bit more to get a similar same scale of the Signatures...but I am sure they will run in slowly in the next weeks...

The highs seem to have more sparkle and resolution, and I am very happy that the bass is still very impressive and fast.

You remember I was a bit scared because the Signatures spoils us with such a magnificent bass punch... maybe someday we add a middle “sub” to get the ultimate bass weight.

I just played “Mean to Me” from Rita Coolildge...one of my personal reference tracks...and the double bass is well defined, fast, and airy, just like on the Signatures.

Overall, a speaker with fantastic value...and definitely “signature” sound quality...plus, great for the wife factor, due to the compact dimensions!

Cheers to you !
Tom from Singapore
Old 03-28-2018, 10:56 AM

Will the Middle T Active be on display at Axpona this year?
Parasound JC-1s (3), A-21
Kharma dB11-s Mains, Cremona M (center) Grand Pianos (rears)
JL Audio Gotham G213 V1(1) F-112V1(1) F-112V2(1)
Clearaudio Innovation Wood, Benz Micro Gullwing SLR Dynavector XX2 MK2 Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
Audio Research Ref 2se phono
Lumin X1
Lumin S1
Oppo-205
AudioQuest Hurricane HC, Tornado HC(2), and Thunder HC, Diamond RJ/E
PS Audio P-10(2) AC-3, AC-5, AC-10 PCs.
(6) dedicated 20 amp circuits, (6)Furutech outlets.
(1) GDX-DR-NCF, (2) GDX-D Gold, (3) GDX-D Rhodium
AZ Absolute Copper, and Clear Day Audio solid silver Bal ICs.
WW Gold Eclipse 7 speaker cables.
Rob
Old 03-28-2018, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robc33 View Post
Will the Middle T Active be on display at Axpona this year?
Hi

I know Gary had the Active Middle T's at the last show but I think this time he is going to show the new Mini T Active.

james
Old 03-31-2018, 09:53 AM

DEALER FEEDBACK

James,

The four Mini T ACTIVE speakers are installed. Along with single Mini T sub.

Running with Bryston 4B on woofers and 3Bs on mid-range and tweeters.

Client is ecstatic. I will be sending pictures hopefully next week when I revisit the job site to tie up Loose Ends.

Thanks,

Dave
Old 04-19-2018, 04:09 AM

SUBJECT: Bryston Demo – Absolute Audio/Video - Calgary

April 19th 2018

Hi Folks

Please drop by our dealer for 2 straight days of Bryston audio system demos in Calgary on Thursday and Friday

Room one will feature a fully ACTIVE Bryston Middle T System.

System consists of the the new Bryston BAX-1 dedicated digital 3-way electronic crossover and the new 3-channel 21B amplifiers.

Room two will feature the passive Bryston Mini T system
Old 04-29-2018, 09:50 AM

SUBJECT: Bryston Active Demo – Mark Jones Audio

April 2018

Bryston Active event at Audio by Mark Jones

A couple of weeks ago I was invited by Mark Jones to attend the Bryston Active event at his place. James Tanner of Bryston was presenting the new active loudspeaker system featuring Model T Signature loudspeakers and BAX-1 electronic crossover.

I am familiar with "active" loudspeakers, such as those produced by Meridian Audio. They have amplifiers built right in and all you need is a source, like a CD player or a network streamer.

Bryston's Model T active loudspeaker system is different. The loudspeakers' drivers (woofer, mid-range and tweeter) are directly connected to an amplifier's output. This is known as active bi-amping or tri-amping, since there are no passive components, i.e. crossovers, are present in the signal path between the amplifier and the drivers. Not to be confused by "passive" bi-amping or tri-amping, where a separate amplifier is assigned to each driver, but internal crossovers are still used to control which frequencies are handled by which driver, as well as roll-off characteristics.

But in a truly active system this is handled by an "electronic crossover" placed between the preamplifier and individual amplifier(s), basically in a small signal level stage. The electronic crossover used in this presentation was Bryston BAX-1 dedicated Digital crossover.
The other components in the system were:

• BP17³ preamplifier (bottom box in the photo above)
• 2 x 28B³ power amplifiers to drive the woofers
• 2 x 4B³ power amplifiers to driver mid-range and tweeters
• BDA-3 DAC
• BDP-3 Digital Player

The BAX-1 electronic crossover is controlled through a Bryston developed app from an iPad.

Although it is more costly to properly develop a truly active system, it has a number of advantages:

more efficient use of power superior direct coupling of drivers to the amplifiers provides better control of drive units and damps unwanted resonances in drivers splitting frequency bands before amplification results in easier design of crossover filters simplified control of amplitude and phase (delay) and driver anomalies higher SPL's are achieved in larger systems (you get 4dB improvement in level with the same power) it can be used to tune the system to any room with any acoustic deficiencies

As James Tanner remarked, music reproduction is a transient condition, where stop and start signals are transmitted to the drivers. With the amplifier being connected directly to the speaker driver this condition is improved and better controlled, which results in a much more accurate reproduction of the music. True active system can bring a much higher resolution and dynamic control to an audio system.

And this is exactly what I experienced with the system that was being presented that night. James first played some of his own selections. But then one of the guests brought his own musical selections on a USB stick. As they were played, the gentleman remarked that this is the best reproduction of these tracks that he has ever heard.

• Besame Mama by Poncho Sanchez and Mongo Santamaria
• The Black Messiah (Part Two) by George Duke
• Good Bye Pork Pie Hat by Uzeb

Each musical selection showcased the system's full potential. The clarity, the level of detail, the instrument separation and air around each instrument were simply superb.

The bass was tight and powerful even without any subwoofers. The imaging was precise. Soundstage was truly three-dimensional with depth, width and height clearly defined.

I have only heard this level of reproduction in systems that cost tens of thousands more than Bryston.

That is not to say that the electronic crossover does not have its weaknesses. The main one being that you cannot currently use BAX-1 in any other system. Current design only works with Model T speakers and Bryston amplifiers (ED: For very good technical and performance reasons).

But all in all it was very enjoyable experience and I am grateful to Mark and James for the presentation.

Alex G.
Old 05-09-2018, 04:32 PM

https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2018/...s-superiority/
Old 06-02-2018, 07:42 AM

Hi Folks,

First 'professional review' of the Bryston Mini T ACTIVE loudspeaker:

http://innerearmag.com/reviews/speak...e_System.shtml
Old 06-04-2018, 07:53 AM

Best in Show!

Active Mini T

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5k6uSh8fmSE