AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Automobiles

Automobiles Need for Speed

Old 08-15-2018, 10:20 PM
Aspiring Audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
No room in the garage but if you are selling at 1990 prices, I won’t turn you down! o

What’s in your garage as of today?
Main > Aurender N10/N100 / Antipodes K50 > Aries Cerat Kassandra mk2 - Playback Designs Dream DAC > D'agostino Momentum HD > PS Audio P10 > D'Agostino S250 > Sonus Faber Aida / REL S812 Six Pack + 4 JL Audio F113 Fathoms > B&W Signature HTM > Anthem Statement D2v > Mcintosh MC205 > Focal 1000 (side surrounds) > Bryston TIW (rear surrounds)

Secondary System > Aurender N100h> AMR777SE > D'agostino Momentum Integrated > Wilson Sasha DAW
Old 08-16-2018, 09:40 AM

Quote:
What's the going price for a 67 427 convertible these days? I remember the classic vettes went through the roof some years back and then cooled off a bit.
At Mecum Harrisburg 1967 Corvettes recorded as sold range from $75,000 to $143,000 (including buyer's premium) but none of those were 427.

One Bloomington Gold Certified winner with "cost no object restoration" with 427/435 supposedly reached a high bid of $205,000 but it was not sold. It was a silver coupe.

Back in the late 2000s I had seen prices as high as $500,000+ for ultimate examples with the best options & colors with all the stories straight. I agree the market has since cooled off considerably for these cars.

My personal opinion is that this is partly due to some novice buyers being unaware of how crude and uncomfortable these cars are by today's standards, especially once restored.
Old 08-16-2018, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62caddy View Post
At Mecum Harrisburg 1967 Corvettes recorded as sold range from $75,000 to $143,000 (including buyer's premium) but none of those were 427.

One Bloomington Gold Certified winner with "cost no object restoration" with 427/435 supposedly reached a high bid of $205,000 but it was not sold. It was a silver coupe.

Back in the late 2000s I had seen prices as high as $500,000+ for ultimate examples with the best options & colors with all the stories straight. I agree the market has since cooled off considerably for these cars.

My personal opinion is that this is partly due to some novice buyers being unaware of how crude and uncomfortable these cars are by today's standards, especially once restored.
very few if any 'novice buyers' buy into numbers matching high end BB market. For those that do 'crude and uncomfortable' is all but meaningless, collectability is all that matters.

Remember this, of the 20 L88 cars produced in '67, which of the 100 for sale today would you like to buy !
Old 08-16-2018, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikado463 View Post
For those that do 'crude and uncomfortable' is all but meaningless, collectability is all that matters.
Hmm...yes and no. Nevertheless there was a lot more - shall we say - "less than smart money" chasing collector cars a decade ago, give or take, than there is today. Granted, it's not easy to measure empirically but yes, the market for the uber rare generally stays robust.

Here are some views from a Corvette-turned-Cadillac collector.

Needless to say these are some general observations - not intended to address every specific situation or car but he makes a lot of interesting points.

http://www.mcsmk8.com/WHYCADS.htm
Old 08-16-2018, 02:30 PM

good read 62caddy....... and in the end what picture does have of himself....... why that of one in a C1 Corvette !
Old 08-16-2018, 02:49 PM

Quote:
good read 62caddy....... and in the end what picture does have of himself....... why that of one in a C1 Corvette !
Perhaps a bow to his days on the dark side...
Old 08-16-2018, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
What’s in your garage as of today?
Well, it's not a investment grade car but a "sensible" sports car that is 2400 lbs and feels like you are driving a go-kart at full tilt without breaking triple digits and looking over your shoulder for the cops... After many high HP, mega buck cars that were garage queens and no fun to drive at sane speeds, this is a breath of fresh air. Love it. My other daily is a Jeep Grand Cherokee that actually CAN be driven in the snow and it is simply superb in all weather conditions with utility that I need for my other hobbies that require room in the vehicle.

I'm over the expensive toys that are driven to the Cars and Coffee to feel good about yourself. Been there, done that, got bored.... Cracks me up when a guy pulls up in an Aventador and gets upset his car doesn't draw a crowd.

Last edited by PHC1; 08-16-2018 at 03:02 PM.
Old 08-16-2018, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62caddy View Post
Perhaps a bow to his days on the dark side...
I am curious, since you're a 'caddy' kind of guy, what is the rarest Cadillac ever produced ?
Old 08-16-2018, 03:58 PM

Quote:
I am curious, since you're a 'caddy' kind of guy, what is the rarest Cadillac ever produced ?
Good question but more complicated than you may realize.

Only 3 Cadillacs were built in the first year of production 1902, the first being a prototype with an engine but no transmission.

During the prewar classic era when high end cars were often coachbuilt to buyer's exact specs, there were a number of "one-offs" however these were usually executed by custom body builders outside the factory. I know of at least one 1940 done by Brunn, and Derham was another popular coachbuilder which did a number of one-of-a-kind creations for the likes of the Rockefellers and Vanderbilts.

If talking regular (factory) production prewar - which would include cars built by Cadillac's in-house coachbuilders Fisher and Fleetwood - the number of body styles and configurations was so voluminous, many were never even built! I'm sure there are many cases where only 1 or 2 built of a particular body style but I'm not sure what they are. Incidentally, noted restorer Fran Roxas actually created two Cadillacs that were factory offered but never produced - from original factory blueprints - from scratch. One was a 1934, the other a 1936 (IIRC). He did have to source the frames, engines and some basic items from parts cars from the era but everything else was fabricated by hand. So accurate and correct in every detail, these cars passed as genuine among the most world's most knowledgeable experts and after being in the collection of two brothers for a number of years, they were sold for around $1M each when one of the brothers died.

Finally we come to postwar (regular limited production). That award goes to the 1959 and 1960 Eldorado Brougham with production of 99 and 101 respectively. However the bodies were built by Pininfarina in Turin Italy.

For regular production postwar (in-house) the 1953 Eldorado is probably the rarest at 632 copies.
Old 08-16-2018, 04:15 PM
Aspiring Audiophile

Serge,

That looks like a lot of fun!!!

My appetite for expensive cars is also changing. (although I'd like to have a 997.2 911 turbo convertible when my kiddos are old enough to ride in the front seat).

I sold my BMW M3 convertible, and although it wasn't in the same category as very expensive sports cars, it was a lot of fun...but I did't like worrying about the car getting dinged.

One of my favorite cars (that I probably regret selling) was a Honda S2000, which felt like a go-cart as you described your ride.

There is something about that pure fun factor that really hits the spot.

I really liked your comment! Out of curiosity, what were some of the "garage queens" that you have owned through the years?

Quote:
Well, it's not a investment grade car but a "sensible" sports car that is 2400 lbs and feels like you are driving a go-kart at full tilt without breaking triple digits and looking over your shoulder for the cops... After many high HP, mega buck cars that were garage queens and no fun to drive at sane speeds, this is a breath of fresh air. Love it. My other daily is a Jeep Grand Cherokee that actually CAN be driven in the snow and it is simply superb in all weather conditions with utility that I need for my other hobbies that require room in the vehicle.

I'm over the expensive toys that are driven to the Cars and Coffee to feel good about yourself. Been there, done that, got bored.... Cracks me up when a guy pulls up in an Aventador and gets upset his car doesn't draw a crowd.

Main > Aurender N10/N100 / Antipodes K50 > Aries Cerat Kassandra mk2 - Playback Designs Dream DAC > D'agostino Momentum HD > PS Audio P10 > D'Agostino S250 > Sonus Faber Aida / REL S812 Six Pack + 4 JL Audio F113 Fathoms > B&W Signature HTM > Anthem Statement D2v > Mcintosh MC205 > Focal 1000 (side surrounds) > Bryston TIW (rear surrounds)

Secondary System > Aurender N100h> AMR777SE > D'agostino Momentum Integrated > Wilson Sasha DAW