AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 03-07-2013, 08:03 AM

so dac section is now mandatory in new mc integrated amps? nice! any of them have a tubed preamp section?
Old 03-07-2013, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pider View Post
What's with the 8ohms only listing? I don't understand that.
The nominal impedance of all McIntosh speakers is 8 ohms. Obviously, this thing is designed for their speakers.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:48 AM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyalavasg View Post
so dac section is now mandatory in new mc integrated amps? nice! any of them have a tubed preamp section?
There is the MA2275 tube integrated amp (not new). But, it has pretty much a passive preamp, if memory serves. No DAC and few features. Sonics are suspect.

Am thinking that it may have been less expensive for McIntosh to put DACs in everything then not. The cost learning curve on chips is huge. They may have been paying $200 per DAC board for the few thousands they were purchasing before and only $20 now that they are putting them in most everything. With all their DACs now being 32/192, am wondering how long the MCD301 & 500 will remain. Why would you purchase one with 24/192 and slower DACs? Am guessing they will soon offer a transport and one universal CDP.
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag

Last edited by Formerly YB-2; 03-07-2013 at 08:50 AM.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niles View Post
The nominal impedance of all McIntosh speakers is 8 ohms. Obviously, this thing is designed for their speakers.
Not all... The WS350, an in-wall speaker that might be considered by someone looking at the MA5200, is 4-ohm. ..so that's out.

The most likely Mac brand speaker choice for someone considering a MA5200 is the XR50, which IS 8-ohm. ..Unfortunately, the XR50's sensitivity is an astonishingly low 81db. - perhaps the lowest efficiency speaker on the market of ANY brand. So the MA5200 might not have enough power for use in anything larger than a small office.

Would love to know why just 8 ohms. Nowadays, only the least expensive of amplifiers have an 8-ohm only rating.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by syd123 View Post
Not all... The WS350, an in-wall speaker that might be considered by someone looking at the MA5200, is 4-ohm. ..so that's out.

The most likely Mac brand speaker choice for someone considering a MA5200 is the XR50, which IS 8-ohm. ..Unfortunately, the XR50's sensitivity is an astonishingly low 81db. - perhaps the lowest efficiency speaker on the market of ANY brand. So the MA5200 might not have enough power for use in anything larger than a small office.

Would love to know why just 8 ohms. Nowadays, only the least expensive of amplifiers have an 8-ohm only rating.
I'll bet with all its protection circuitry the MA5200 should be able to drive most 4 ohm speakers, though not sure if I'd use one with my Maggies.

It's only a guess but I feel the 8-ohm spec is noted so that the Pro sound guys/musicians don't go crazy and start using one as a band/pa amp with 2 & 4 ohm monitors.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:23 AM
Alien Member

Quote:
I'll bet with all its protection circuitry the MA5200 should be able to drive most 4 ohm speakers, though not sure if I'd use one with my Maggies.

It's only a guess but I feel the 8-ohm spec is noted so that the Pro sound guys/musicians don't go crazy and start using one as a band/pa amp with 2 & 4 ohm monitors.
Its only a guess but I feel the Pro sound guys/musicians won't be using an MA5200 for anything expect maybe a bedroom system.

Hey Niles, I'm curious why you don't have your big 'Bad Boy' shiny new amp listed in your sig

Lossless > D100 / Yami YP 450 tt > MA7000 > KEF RDM3 / SVS SB2000 / Too much music, not enough time.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MORTIS View Post
Its only a guess but I feel the Pro sound guys/musicians won't be using an MA5200 for anything expect maybe a bedroom system.

Hey Niles, I'm curious why you don't have your big 'Bad Boy' shiny new amp listed in your sig
Hi MORTIS

That shiny new 'Bad Boy', according to the tracking info, will be at the company docks in Tennesse on Monday. Shipped back last night.

But, my shiny new Pro amp is listed in my sig (XLS1500).

Moved the 'ol XLS1000 to the TV system. Wife now has over 400 watts for her Coronation Street

Old 03-07-2013, 01:58 PM

Quote:
I bet you're correct but to me that's beside the point. Does McIntosh really want the distinction of being the only high end gear company with a $4000 (or so) integrated amp that has NO 4ohm rating?? Technical issues aside, it's also a bit of a pride of ownership issue as I see it.

If they're hoping the 8ohm-only rating encourages someone to buy one of their speakers, they should think again. ..That we would mean a $10k+ commitment (MA5200 + XR50 speakers) for what is likely to be someones first foray into McIntosh. ..Then they'd worry about the integrateds suitability for another brand speaker should they one day want to try something else.
Old 03-07-2013, 03:25 PM
Learning to Listen

Quote:
Originally Posted by syd123 View Post
I bet you're correct but to me that's beside the point. Does McIntosh really want the distinction of being the only high end gear company with a $4000 (or so) integrated amp that has NO 4ohm rating?? Technical issues aside, it's also a bit of a pride of ownership issue as I see it.
I agree.

I was all a twitter when I first saw this. I thought, great! Now I can get a Mc for the TV sound system powering my 4ohm Dyns and be all set. I'd have my current frustrating issues with digital only connects solved, no external DAC needed (assuming these were worth the Mc brand), and I'd have what I want most (don't laugh), namely a numeric indication of where my volume is set. I got used to having this with my B&K 507 receiver and really appreciate a visual when it comes to others using my equipment and not resetting the volume before turning the NAD off.

Anyway, now this 8ohm thing comes up. What is with these people? Does the marketing department exist? Do they ever get out of Binghamton? The rest of their equipment can do arc welding, while at the same time drive every speaker on the planet, no matter the ohm requirements. Now they've made me pause. Pausing is not good! I'm all hyped to move up the audio chain and Mc is definitely on my radar, but I'm pausing. NOT GOOD!

I'm sure this can drive a 4-ohm speaker, but now I need to go out of my way to try to figure out what the heck is going on.

Poor me. Well, at least it gives me another excuse to do more research!

Old 03-07-2013, 11:21 PM

The MA6300 did 100 watts in for ohms and 160 into 8 ohms if I'm not wrong.

MA5200 will be able to handle 4 ohms. Its just that maybe the meters will not show this time around.

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado