AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Ayre

Ayre A new dimension of musical enjoyment

Old 07-17-2017, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarmac View Post
Wondering if anyone else is has issues with Tidal and the QX5 in exclusive mode. I can play 'master' quality songs without issue in exclusive mode but can't play the standard quality music, all I get is static. The QX5 is connected to a mac mini via USB. Anyone else have this issue? Thanks.

Tarmac

I'm not sure what you are asking regarding "exclusive" v. "standard" mode. Somehow I have not run across those terms, sorry. I play Tidal thru roon connected via Ethernet to my QX-5. I'm not having any issues playing anything I've chosen.
Old 08-09-2017, 07:34 PM

Anyone else having problems with there QX 5 constantly disconnecting from the Connect app? a couple of days ago this started happening to me with the Full paid version of the Mconnect app so I turned the QX 5 off then when I turned it back on their was a weird cracking sound and the same song would play over then disconnected again.

I turned off the QX 5 for a couple of hours then turne3d back on , the cracking sound was gone but took several tries for the QX to show up on the Mconnect, once it did it sounded ok but would repeat the same song and continues to drop from the app.

Any thoughts?
Old 08-09-2017, 08:24 PM

Had a brain freeze the last couple of day,s, i had checked repeat on the app play back.

Turned the Melco off and their was an FW update, installed that, MConnect also had an update, installed that.

Seems to have solved a couple of issues.
Old 08-11-2017, 07:26 PM

Great to hear. Thanks for sharing.
Old 08-15-2017, 08:10 AM

Stereophile reviewed the QX-5 Twenty. "Class A+, with a bullet!"
Old 08-29-2017, 06:27 PM

I have an opportunity to buy a QX-5 Twenty trade-in at a good price, but I want to be absolutely clear it will do what I want it to do. As I understand it, I could stream Tidal via the ethernet to the QX-5 Twenty, control it with Roon running on the QX-5 Twenty, and output analog audio to my KX-5 Twenty preamp. That is, the QX-5 Twenty can act as a streamer as well as a DAC. Is my understanding correct?

I've never used Roon, but I assume there is an app that can run on my iPad. Is that assumption correct?

db
Old 08-29-2017, 06:49 PM

You are correct on all counts. I run Roon with Tidal to my QX-5. The QX-5 does the DAC work and delivers the analog signal to my pre. The Roon app runs on my iPad and does all the control functions for Roon and Tidal. I also run my CD player and DVD player to the QX-5.
Old 08-29-2017, 06:53 PM

I guess I should add, for clarity, that the QX-5 is not a Roon core. The Roon core will have to be on a computer that is connected to the QX5-5. That computer will also be how you sign up for Tidal. I suspect you know that but just making sure.
Old 08-29-2017, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garytn View Post
I guess I should add, for clarity, that the QX-5 is not a Roon core. The Roon core will have to be on a computer that is connected to the QX5-5. That computer will also be how you sign up for Tidal. I suspect you know that but just making sure.
No, I didn't know that and know next to nothing about Roon except it gets good reviews from a lot of users. Right now, a Mac Mini is connected to an Oppo 205 via HDMI, and I played FLAC files stored in iTune using that connection yesterday. I thought it sound very good, but I suspect not QX-5 Twenty good.
Old 08-29-2017, 07:59 PM

So, you will need to go on the Roon web site and download Roon core to your Mini. The set up program also walks you thru the Tidal set-up (as I recall). The set-up will ask you where your music FLAC files are stored, which is your "Music" file on your mini, unless you have stored them elsewhere.
You will also have to connect your QX-5 to your network. It sounds like you have an Ethernet cable connected to your Mini. What I do is run the Ethernet from my router to a switch and then connect an Ethernet cable to the computer (your Mini) and another to your QX-5.
Lastly you go on the Apple App Store and download the Roon control app. You are now set up.
If you don't have an Ethernet switch you can connect the Mini to the QX-5 via a USB cable. Ayre suggests using the Ethernet connection, however.
It sounds harder than it is. I'm an old, retired guy and I was able to do it with no issues. I've found Roon to be very stable.
Sorry, but I have not compared the QX-5 to the BDP-205. I can state categorically that the Ayre is excellent.