AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Revel Speakers

Revel Speakers The Science of Sound

Old 09-08-2015, 08:14 AM

I just bought a pair of Salon 2s and, two days after setting them up, I can attest to a couple of things. First, these are great speakers and any changes that I make at this end of my system may enter the realm of diminishing returns. Second, these speakers are power hungry. With my 150 watt / ch Ayre amp, registering25 on the preamp volume control, my previously owned Paradigms would be very loud indeed. The Revels have to be at 35, on the preamp 66 point scale, in order to achieve the same SPL. That volume range is my "comfortably loud" range over which I rarely venture. I've yet to run the speakers at 35 for an extended period and thus experience what that does to amplifier heat. In time, can see exchanging my amp for a more powerful one. I'm think about that once my savings recover from purchasing the Revels!

Last edited by Biggar; 09-08-2015 at 08:17 AM.
Old 12-24-2015, 07:46 PM

I was looking for a system I could split 50% for 2 channel music for myself and 50% for movies for the family - There were some systems that worked better at one or the other but for me nothing that could do both .......Revel had the most natural speaking voices and snare drums that popped but like all speakers they have their quirks:

Pros
1) Seamless transition between drivers ... not easy for a 4 way system but so perfect it spoils you
2) The most sublime high end with no glare whatsoever ... room filling with zero coloration - The VERTICAL tweeter dispersion is top of the line
3) Solid bass .... I cross mine over to a sub at 40Hz strictly for Starship rumble - Those three 8" woofers with the vertical port fear no recording
4) There is no center channel that pairs as well with it's columns as Revel's Voice 2 and at only 25" wide it has a small foot print
5) Run through a McIntosh mx150 room correction and placement becomes reasonably easy - They give you a huge sweet spot

Cons
1) Power Hungry Beasts ..... makes sense when you consider you are driving three woofers, two different size midranges, plus a tweeter - They require ample clean power and good upstream components
2) They are tall at 54" .... so wife acceptance is a challenge - The style is traditional but they won't be disappearing in am interior decorating scheme - It does help to have children (or better yet grandchildren) who love to watch movies
3) Not very forgiving of poor source material so you need good components and a very good processor

Anyway that's my two cents ...
Old 12-24-2015, 10:03 PM

The Revel Ultima Series is the top home theater system in my opinion. I used to own a pair of Salon 2's and they provided world class sound in my two channel system.

Ken
Old 12-25-2015, 06:49 AM

I enjoyed my Salon 2s as well. Hard to beat at their price point - even after 8 years of production.
Old 06-01-2018, 04:20 PM

Been using a Hegel h360 to drive my Salon2's and now that I'm done positioning the speakers I'm pretty stoked about the sound. After reading this thread I'll admit to being curious how much better they can get, but what I don't know can't hurt me in this regard.
Old 06-02-2018, 06:53 PM

If you get those speakers happy in a decent room, any good amplifier, which the Hegel surely is, will drive them and create bliss. They work so well at low levels that massive power isn't strictly a requirement to enjoy them. At the same time they are very revealing speakers so they will resolve differences that may not be as obvious with lesser gear so there's always risk of entanglement.

If you're happy, and you should be with the gear you have, there's no reason to go hunting just now. There's a limit to how loud the Salon2s will be liner in output, and that is reached below reference level (105dB) in most rooms and systems at the SLP. Bigger amps may grip the speaker with more authority but they probably won't play all that much louder. Not that you inquired about loud. As for improvements in overall system quality, for me it would be a matter of what I thought my weakest link was. And maybe that takes some listening to decide. So if you're stoked, hang tough and wait for an itchier day. Stoked is pretty hard to beat so enjoy it while you got it. I've been stoked with my Revels for two years now and all the best improvements to them have been the obvious ones I made to the room.

And don't go to stores!

Last edited by Pampero; 06-02-2018 at 07:01 PM.
Old 06-02-2018, 07:22 PM

Same here with my Studio 2’s. Interestingly I can get some serious SPLs with just maybe 10-15 watts on my tube amps. Generally 105 dB is some serious sound levels. I don’t listen much louder than 85-90 dB anymore. At my age I’m not interested in any more ear damage. LOL.
Old 06-04-2018, 06:49 PM

I had a pair of kef R105/3 that could play at 105 db all day when I did the horizontal biamp with a couple 200 watt amps and I found myself listening quite loud most of the time because even with the kube they sounded really light weight. The Ultimas take over my room at moderate levels so I probably don't even crack 100 db anymore, and these speakers have me listening to EVERYTHING! I was excited about the Salon1's and they're damn good, but the new ones just take it to another level.
Old 06-04-2018, 08:33 PM

Glad to hear you’re enjoying them Steve!

Considering the Revel Ultima2’s can be bought at extreme discounts, they’re one of the best values available. And while they are not the darlings of the various forums, they sound spectacular and hold their own against anything I’ve heard, including said darlings.

I don’t measure db’s, but I find I’m listening at lower levels than I did with my B&W 800D2’s because I can hear everything without the need to play louder as required by the B&W’s. The 5 Revel channels I have are seamless and oh so clean. I’ll be adding channels 6 and 7 this month, plus 4 or 6 in the ceiling - all Revels.
Old 06-06-2018, 09:38 AM

The Revels work best for my ears at realistic listening levels. If the primary goal is to play very loud, they're capable of that up to a point but not the best choice as they have relatively low sensitivity and will begin to compress as they near 100dB SPL (maybe even a bit lower at my listening position...that'll be different in different scenarios)). I believe I hear that as a brightening of the sound. At realistic levels using good associated gear they are hard to beat. My room is fairly well damped.

Karl, when I auditioned them against D2s, I found the Revels smoother (seeming more laid back) than the B&Ws but they gave up nothing by way of definition and articulation. BTW, I wouldn't characterize the Salon 2s as "laid back" as a general characteristic, just when comparing to 800D2s. To my ears in that showroom, the B&Ws came off as forward by comparison. Is that your observation? I should add that the B&Ws were very dynamic, clear, open and exciting to listen to but I wondered if I might grow tired of what I perceived as an emphasis in the mid to upper midrange by comparison to the silkiness of the Salon2s. They're two very different sounding beasts.

I also had a pair of 105/3s with a Kube back in the 90s. Enjoyed them at the time but agree they were not bass monsters although they imaged very well.

So here's lots o' love for the Salon 2s, one of the best bargains in high end audio today, and also one of the very best speakers you can buy at any price. Two years years on they just keep making satisfying noises. No desire to upgrade them at this time if indeed a practical upgrade was even available which I'm not sure it is given my taste and requirements.

Last edited by Pampero; 06-06-2018 at 09:46 AM.