AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Esoteric Audio

Esoteric Audio World Class cost no object Electronics

Old 02-15-2017, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adol290 View Post
SCAudiophile,

Thanks for all the great information on your clock.

I have been thinking of getting a clock for my K-03x for a while now. The esoteric option is a bit out of my range, so after reading your posts here and a few other places, I am considering the Cybershaft.

Do you prefer the OCXO clock, over the RB. Would you still suggest getting a clock that has both?

Is the prototype OCXO from the same manufacture?, is it a single or dual clock?
Best to do a bit more research before committing to single output 10 Mhz clock but if it's for your needs, I would highly recommend these products.

Have owned the Esoteric G-0s and G-03x and being previously focused on Rubidium must be better as it is 'more precise' I bought the RBOCXO-01 dual master clock from Cybershaft; 2 clock outputs, 1 each for a Rubidium side and 1 for the OCXO side. I used the Rb side exclusively for a few months then took several recommendations to try the ultra-low phase noise side with OCXO circuitry. Frankly, I have not been back to Rb in this clock since using the OCXO side exclusively. The prototype clock I am testing is a single output OCXO-only clock.

Please be aware the Cybershaft clocks only do 50-ohm 10 Mhz output so please make sure you are happy and able to support a 10 Mhz 50-ohm signal both in terms of your unit and the cable you utilize.

Questions,...write me anytime here or via PM. Happy also to jump on phone and discuss to the best of my experience how to help.
Old 06-07-2017, 10:13 AM

A fascinating read on what type of setup and care it takes to produce quality master clocking products and also what it takes to maintain the calibration and testing to do so;

http://www.cybershaft.jp/clockcal.html

Also,...I've concluded many months of testing with 2 additional OCXO clocks from Cybershaft whose OCXO circuit was even more refined than the OP13+ type 2 unit in my RBOCXO-01 and also with a loaned high-quality Rubidium unit (used to have the Esoteric G-0s but it is no longer in my system so I had to borrow its successor from a friend).

At each step of the way, the idea that lower phase noise (and thus lower harmonic distortion and better Allan Variance (measure of short-term stability) were fundamental to the best musical playback, imaging, sound-staging and realistic playback has been proven as a fact.

In side by side comparisons of OCXO and Rb-based clocking and keeping priceerformance ratio in mind, I found that I preferred, by a large margin, a high-quality OCXO clock circuit's impact on the musical playback experience every time.

The exception to this is a Rb circuit with similarly low phase noise; there seem to be only 1 or 2 that have achieved that ( Esoteric Grandioso G1 and 1 other... )

Last edited by SCAudiophile; 06-07-2017 at 05:22 PM.
Old 07-15-2017, 05:41 PM

Default Update 8: Shunyata 50 Ohm Clock Cables!!!

The Shunyata '2017 Cable Guide' PDF shows they now make specific Clock cables. Here's a summary of the Shunyata Clock cables:

1. Venom series: 75 Ohm
2. Delta series: no Clock cables
3. Alpha series: 75 Ohm & 50 Ohm
4. Sigma series: 75 Ohm & 50 Ohm

Looks like Shunyata listens to the marketplace and now has two 50 Ohm Clock cables available.

Those of us with Esoteric components who want to use the 50 Ohm BNC connectors now have two different Shunyata 50 Ohm Clock cables to try out.

Ken
Old 07-15-2017, 06:37 PM

Great news...there was a multi-month period of anonymous testing by 4 audiophiles in different parts of the globe with different equipment stacks concerning 50 and 75 ohm usage. Interesting results that conclude 50 vs 75 does make a difference in many configs even when cable lengths are 1 to 2 meters. Very glad to see these products are now starting to hit the market ( for 50ohm new offerings)!

Last edited by SCAudiophile; 07-16-2017 at 06:28 AM.
Old 01-01-2018, 09:48 PM

Is there any findings on the impact of the clock cables over the transport/Dac digital cable interface.

I am finding that the improvements and/or differences seem much larger coming from the Clock cable interface and should i say critical over AES or Spdif.

Any consensuses from all that have done more testing with cables?
Old 01-01-2018, 11:56 PM

The clocking is applied to all inputs, so the benefit of using external clock applies to all connected sources. It is difficult to quantify which of the various inputs gets the most benefit from using external clock, others here have far more experience than me on this aspect.
Old 01-02-2018, 10:13 AM

Tonight I changed to G02X A1 output (75 ohm) 10 Mhz using Mexcel (75 ohm) and I don't hear any difference to the 10 Mhz (50 ohm) output. I've also engaged adaptive ground zero mode and will continue to assess this feature. There are so many different configuration options on these Esoteric clocks...I guess that's why they are so much more expensive than a Cybershaft clock. At this stage I'm having doubts whether a clock benefits at all from these features, I'm inclined to think just buy Cybershaft and put the money saved towards the clock cable.
Old 01-03-2018, 09:47 AM

It seems from my cable swappings, this may be much more significant than decent clocks and just wanted to gain more insights in clock choice phase noise and impedence matching of cable and which comes up tops.
Old 01-04-2018, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justubes View Post
It seems from my cable swappings, this may be much more significant than decent clocks and just wanted to gain more insights in clock choice phase noise and impedence matching of cable and which comes up tops.
Finding the right clock cable for me delivered great dividends in sound and image quality and the overall musical experience. This (and the associated topic of correct cable spec. for the intended connection) is probably 1 of the most controversial discussion topics in audio. I've reached a happy place for me that delivers both but it is all highly dependent on clock that you have, the quality/phase noise/Allen variance behavior of the thing, what you feed the clock signal into and the quality and spec-compliance of the cable actually is.
Old 01-07-2018, 10:45 AM

There are only a handful of true 50 / 75 ohm cables around.

Most exotic (and very high priced) digital cables are not true coaxial designs at all!

I have email a number of manufacturers which i will not mention, none even dared to reply when i asked of their cable are true 50/75 ohm designs and required for clocking.

Some you see obvious twisted pairs being sold as digital cables?

I guess there is just not debate on this, just having RCA's are a dead giveway, even when a BNC termination is also as an option.