AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shunyata Research

Shunyata Research Designing Silent Systems for recording, film and music

Old 05-03-2020, 10:59 PM

Default Ping Caelin. Thoughts on new line of power cords

Hi Caelin,

In my stereo system, I am using a Denali 6000S/V2 powering my preamp, 2 DACs, SACD/CD Transport, and music server on a dedicated 20 amp AC line preconditioned with a Typhon QR. My 2 mono-block amps are on their own dedicated separate 20 amp AC line plugged directly into wall outlet.

My separate A.V. system in another room is powered by both a Denali 6000S/V2 and a Triton V3, each using a dedicated 20 amp AC line. The video components (OLED TV, Apple 4K TV, OPPO BD player, and TiVo) are connected to the Denali while the audio end (multichannel amps, pre-pro, and sub) are powered by the Triton. I tried various combinations of using the Denali and Triton in my A.V. system, but the audio sounds best via the Triton rather than the Denali which is just the way that it is for some unknown reason.

All Shunyata power conditioners in both systems, stereo and A.V. are powered via Sigma V1 power cords.

Do you think that eliminating the Typhon in the stereo and instead using one of your new power cords, Omega QR or Reference NR directly into the Denali in my stereo would be better sounding than the Typhon QR into the Denali?

BTW, there is no room for the Typhon in the A.V. rack, but maybe if one of your new power cords would elevate the Denali in my stereo without the help of the Typhon, I could somehow manage to squeeze the Typhon in my A.V. system behind the A.V. rack?

Of course, I know the only way to know what sounds and looks best with P.Q. is to try one of your new power cords and hear and see myself, but your thoughts and input would help to lead me in the right direction at this point

Thanks, Bob
Old 05-04-2020, 01:22 AM

Ideally the Typhon QR should be paired with the Tv3.

The cables between the wall outlet and the conditioner are very important. The new Sigma XC would be a very significant upgrade for the Denali, Tv3 and the Typhon.

If it is in the budget, the Omega QR for the mono-blocks is quite simply a revelation. PumaCat and SCAudiophile have a lot of experience with the new cables. So, hopefully one of them can give you some first hand knowledge.
Old 05-04-2020, 01:44 AM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

Bob... just reach out when you think you are ready.
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 05-04-2020, 03:51 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLF View Post
Hi Caelin,

In my stereo system, I am using a Denali 6000S/V2 powering my preamp, 2 DACs, SACD/CD Transport, and music server on a dedicated 20 amp AC line preconditioned with a Typhon QR. My 2 mono-block amps are on their own dedicated separate 20 amp AC line plugged directly into wall outlet.

My separate A.V. system in another room is powered by both a Denali 6000S/V2 and a Triton V3, each using a dedicated 20 amp AC line. The video components (OLED TV, Apple 4K TV, OPPO BD player, and TiVo) are connected to the Denali while the audio end (multichannel amps, pre-pro, and sub) are powered by the Triton. I tried various combinations of using the Denali and Triton in my A.V. system, but the audio sounds best via the Triton rather than the Denali which is just the way that it is for some unknown reason.

All Shunyata power conditioners in both systems, stereo and A.V. are powered via Sigma V1 power cords.

Do you think that eliminating the Typhon in the stereo and instead using one of your new power cords, Omega QR or Reference NR directly into the Denali in my stereo would be better sounding than the Typhon QR into the Denali?

BTW, there is no room for the Typhon in the A.V. rack, but maybe if one of your new power cords would elevate the Denali in my stereo without the help of the Typhon, I could somehow manage to squeeze the Typhon in my A.V. system behind the A.V. rack?

Of course, I know the only way to know what sounds and looks best with P.Q. is to try one of your new power cords and hear and see myself, but your thoughts and input would help to lead me in the right direction at this point

Thanks, Bob
Hi Bob,
Here's what I would likely be doing if I had your (wonderful) system:

I'd put the Trition V3 into your main audio (2-channel system), with the Typhon QR plugged into it. If you had the budget, rather than getting an Omega QR, I'd put a new Sigma XC on the Triton V3 to power it from the wall (which would also save you quite a bit of money).

Then for your AV system, I'd move the Denali from your 2-channel audio system to the A/V system and use it as a 2nd Denali V2 for the audio componentry of your home theatre system in place of the Triton V3.

If your budget alllows Omega QR or Sigma NR v2 PCs on your monoblocks connected directly to the wall (I don't know what you are using there presently) would be freakin' amazing, the Omegas more so because of the QR device they have, but the Sigma NR v2s were, for me, a revelation. I"ve not heard the Omega QR, so I can't comment on it specifically, but knowing 1) how good the Sigma NR v2 is 2) what a QR/BB devices brings to the equation, I can only presume it represents a major paradigm shift for PCs.

The new Sigma XC is a fantastic PC for powering power distributors (PD): it is exceptionally clean, quiet, dynamic, and fast, fast, fast. It really gives the PD the current it needs when it needs it. While a Sigma NR v2 is also fab powering a PD (so much so it came as a shock to me the first time I connected it to Denali), the XC is even better.

Having tested both extensively, I've come to the conclusion that the XC are really the best solution for PDs and the NR series are best-suited for powering components.

As for the Typhon, what it does is so special, my thought is it would be best-served using it for your 2-channel system in conjunction with your Triton V3.

Just my 2¢; I'm sure with your system, however you configure it, its going to be extraordinary. Cheers.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 05-04-2020 at 03:59 AM.
Old 05-04-2020, 06:17 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 05-04-2020, 07:56 PM

That would be OMEGA!!!
Old 05-04-2020, 09:35 PM

Thanks to all who have replied.

I’m sure that the Typhon would be better suited with the Triton V3 over the Denali and the Omega QR/QC would handily outdo my Sigmas and are definitely on my shortlist for audition.

Here is a bit of background of my previous trials:

When I initially reviewed the Triton V3 against a competitor’s product back to back in my 2 channel stereo, the competitor’s product won out, so I bought it and I was going to send the Triton V3 back to my dealer. However before sending the Triton back, I decided to try it in my AV system against what I had in there at the time for power conditioning; PSA P10. . The Triton was a major revelation in my AV system, so naturally it stayed there. I also found that the Triton vs the Denali made a much bigger difference in my AV system than in my stereo, so that’s another reason why the Denali stayed in the stereo.

I did try a second Denali in my home theater for the audio side, but to both my wife’s and my ears, the Denali was a big downgrade in comparison to the Triton V3 in there.

If not for what I had previously experienced with the Denali vs the Triton in my home theater in addition to the space constraints in my AV Rack, I would bring the Triton back to my 2 channel system, pair it with the Typhon, and use both Denali’s in my AV system.

As I stated in my initial post, I’m not sure why, but as we all know every system is different, so experimentation is absolutely essential.
Old 05-05-2020, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterlu View Post

Ivan, That’s one heck of a system that you have. Simply gorgeous; at least to us audiophiles. I bet that it sounds stunning too!

Those power cords are making me drool too.

With all these new Shunyata products coming out, I’m not yet quite sure what the best game plan is?
Old 05-05-2020, 05:49 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLF View Post
Ivan, That’s one heck of a system that you have. Simply gorgeous; at least to us audiophiles. I bet that it sounds stunning too!

Those power cords are making me drool too.

With all these new Shunyata products coming out, I’m not yet quite sure what the best game plan is?
Here is some gudiance from Caelin posted elsewhere for a very similar question that you may find helpful.

What I like about it is that it is based off using the power distributor as the "foundation", and provides very clear and most importantly, EFFECTIVE way to think about choosing PCs for power distributors and components. Key: PD = power distributor; Comp = Component

DENALI 6000/S v2

Good Value, good sound
PD: Venom V10 XC
Comp: Venom V12/V10 NR

Great Performance / Reasonable Price
PD: Delta XC
Comp: Delta NR
Upgrade: Alpha NR on amps

Best Price/Performance (near reference level)
PD: Alpha XC
Comp: Alpha NR
Upgrade: Sigma NR on amps

EVEREST 8000

Best Price/Performance 1/2 SOTA Price
PD: Sigma XC

Reference Level (SOTA)
PD: Omega XC
Comp: Sigma NR
Upgrade: Omega QR on amps
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 05-05-2020, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Here is some gudiance from Caelin posted elsewhere for a very similar question that you may find helpful.

What I like about it is that it is based off using the power distributor as the "foundation", and provides very clear and most importantly, EFFECTIVE way to think about choosing PCs for power distributors and components. Key: PD = power distributor; Comp = Component

DENALI 6000/S v2

Good Value, good sound
PD: Venom V10 XC
Comp: Venom V12/V10 NR

Great Performance / Reasonable Price
PD: Delta XC
Comp: Delta NR
Upgrade: Alpha NR on amps

Best Price/Performance (near reference level)
PD: Alpha XC

EVEREST 8000

Best Price/Performance 1/2 SOTA Price
PD: Sigma XC

Reference Level (SOTA)
PD: Omega XC
Comp: Sigma NR
Upgrade: Omega QR on amps
That's very helpful, but the "upgrade" option is for what you put on amps (presumably not plugged into the distributor?).

What does Shunyata (or PumaCat) recommend as an upgrade if you already have a Sigma v1 to your PD, but are using all older Alpha HC to everything else, including the amp (Not plugged into the distr.). basically, I'm wondering where a sigma V2 would go if I got one, and what kind.