AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Off Topic

General Off Topic Almost anything goes!

Old 03-27-2020, 12:19 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonmb View Post
My wife and I have 14 acres in a very rural area in the foothills of the Cascades. The nearest real town with shopping is 45 minutes away, but we usually were making that drive for one reason or another 3-4 times per week. In the last couple of weeks, I’ve been reminded of the pleasures of our little hermitage: long walks with our dog, the quiet of country life, and the small pleasures of getting things done that were put off for too long. We also used to go out for fine dining regularly, but have recently found much pleasure in take-out from a small local place, and knowing we’re helping to support a local friend’s business. For the future? Continue to support local small businesses and less Amazon, plan my time better to be home more to enjoy what I have, support local non-profits, invest more in political efforts consistent with our values, and continue my work as a board member of our local United Way.
Also sounds wonderful.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 03-27-2020, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parabellum View Post
I wish to volonteer. And the timing is just right with the pandemic. There is a shortage of volonteers in my province and our PM today made the call to all those who are in good health and have time to offer some support to different organizations to raise hand. I did. While I do enjoy my work as a project manager in a large steel factory up here, I wish to do something more meaningful instead of sitting arms crossed watching the show. Since March 24 00:01, our province is in shut down until April 13 as all non-priority businesses were ordered to close. There is a fight going on and I want to be on the front line, whatever my assignment would be. Beyond this pandemic, I hope this experience to bring me to do develop other aspects of my personality; I have always been someone quite logic focusing on performance and efficiency (background in QA) but later in my life I discovered other aspects of me that were buried deep inside but just needed to be dug out. I wish to help others, with empathy and compassion. If I could, I would ditch everything and would like to work for the UN for refugees abroad, or Unicef or the likes. Sometimes, when I think about my work I realize that my job's purpose is for the company to make profit that in turn give me the money I need for my lifestyle. To some extent, I find it shallow and it does not bring me the balance or inner peace I strive for in my life. Thinking about it, if I can bring all my experience and drive to a common goal to help others, that would be it.
Chances are you will not find any greater satisfaction than that. It is a mission for the select few and it sounds like you have been chosen.
Old 03-27-2020, 06:09 PM

Before Corona: I laid around all day in my apartment listening to music.
Now: I lay around all day in my apartment listening to music.
Old 03-27-2020, 06:31 PM

Earth is cleaner than it has ever been in recent centuries, so cherish the shots of dolphins in otherwise busy seaports etc as the only bright spot in this horror, keep cyclin', and hopefully some of you will get e bikes and leave the car at home more. And never take free mingling for granted ever again. I'm so so tempted to have a leave of absence from my job right now. I haven't been in a crowd or social club situation for over three weeks. And if I do emerge symptom free be eternally grateful.
Old 03-27-2020, 07:01 PM

Not a major lifestyle change per se (I'd already laid the geographical groundwork for that when we moved out of the S.F. Bay Area to the Willamette Valley 29 years ago and I then early-retired in 2000), but the Covid-19 stay-in-place routine has revised my plans for the year.

With my hip-replacement recovery progressing extremely well, I expected to start heading out shortly on separate trips to the Cascades, the Oregon coast, Mt. St. Helens, and later to Tahoe and Yosemite among other places for some decent day hiking and wildlife observation. That will have to wait until we get out of this "tunnel".

For my in-between stay-at-home time I hadn't planned on penning anything more ambitious this year than maybe a few AA blurbs assessing what I expected to purchase from Ivan (and still will, once the dust settles). But now with more unanticipated in-home time on my hands I find that I've already pecked out more than 8000 words of a novel I didn't expect to write. Which means that, whatever happens with the "tunnel", I'll have to stay inside long enough to see it through to completion.

As I said, not a lifestyle change. But at 80, any revision of my routine approximates something akin to "major".

Bedroom: Aurender N150, TEAC UD-505 (AKM version), EMIA Cu Elmaformer passive line stage, conrad-johnson MF2500, Paradigm Studio 20 v5. Shunyata Delta D6, Altaira CG hub. Shunyata Alpha XC, Delta NR v2, Alpha USB, Alpha and Venom CGC/SGC. Wireworld Eclipse 8 interconnect & speaker cables. Stillpoints footers, Butcher Block Acoustics maple platforms. Stillpoints and GIK acoustic panels.

Home Office:Windows 11 PC/JRiver 31, TEAC UD-501, Luminous Audio Technology Axiom II Walker Mod passive, conrad-johnson Sonographe SA-250, Paradigm SE-1. Shunyata Hydra (Original Version), Venom 10 NR. Wireworld Eclipse 7 interconnects. Blue Jeans speaker cable.

Living-Dining Room: Windows 11 Laptop/JRiver 29, Oppo BD-83, TEAC UD-501 DAC, SOTA Sapphire TT, Graham Slee Era Gold V, Ortofon 2M Black, McIntosh MR-77, c-j Sonographe SC-25, c-j MF2500, Paradigm SE-3. Wireworld 8 IC, Blue Jeans SC. Shunyata Hydra 8 v.2, Shunyata Delta NR, Venom NR. GIK 244 bass & scatter-plate panels.
Old 03-28-2020, 01:05 PM
Life is beautiful

The planet is protesting, even when you know the virus is maybe man-made, this remains the naked truth.
We are rapidly consuming the reserves of mother Earth.

My plan is to eat even more locally grown food, less animal and more vegetarian.
Travel less intercontinental. I do have a Chilean daughter, so I'll have to keep flying to see her.

A little more time off, and less throwing myself in the rat-race is also in the plans.

So yes, this is going to change my life!

Maybe we all have to be a little more like Beet Farmer and lay around listening to music?!
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 03-28-2020, 01:06 PM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimtranr View Post
Not a major lifestyle change per se (I'd already laid the geographical groundwork for that when we moved out of the S.F. Bay Area to the Willamette Valley 29 years ago and I then early-retired in 2000), but the Covid-19 stay-in-place routine has revised my plans for the year.

With my hip-replacement recovery progressing extremely well, I expected to start heading out shortly on separate trips to the Cascades, the Oregon coast, Mt. St. Helens, and later to Tahoe and Yosemite among other places for some decent day hiking and wildlife observation. That will have to wait until we get out of this "tunnel".

For my in-between stay-at-home time I hadn't planned on penning anything more ambitious this year than maybe a few AA blurbs assessing what I expected to purchase from Ivan (and still will, once the dust settles). But now with more unanticipated in-home time on my hands I find that I've already pecked out more than 8000 words of a novel I didn't expect to write. Which means that, whatever happens with the "tunnel", I'll have to stay inside long enough to see it through to completion.

As I said, not a lifestyle change. But at 80, any revision of my routine approximates something akin to "major".

Jim, wonderful project!
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 03-28-2020, 02:31 PM

I live about 35 miles northwest of Manhattan and get into the city every month or two.

I swear, after this I'll be down there at least once a week.

Oh, and the gym, I'd go at lease 4 times a week instead of twice.

Last edited by eljr; 03-28-2020 at 03:11 PM.
Old 03-28-2020, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart View Post

Maybe we all have to be a little more like Beet Farmer and lay around listening to music?!

“We gonna sit around the kitchen
Fix us somethin' good to eat
And make ourselves a little high
And make the whole day complete
Cuz we gonna lay around the shanty, mama
And put a good buzz on”

- Jonathan Edwards
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 03-28-2020, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart View Post

...eat even more locally grown food, less animal and more vegetarian.

...Travel less intercontinental.

[emoji106]
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2